August 21st, 2008

McCain camp says Obama's still 'The One'

The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.
The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.

(CNN) - The One has returned.

John McCain's campaign released a sequel to its Web video about presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that used footage of Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea, images of light streaming from the heavens, and a gospel choir to paint Obama as an arrogant politician who bought into near-messianic hype over his candidacy.

They're all back "by popular demand," according to McCain spokesman Brian Rogers - along with new footage of Obama bodysurfing on his recent Hawaiian vacation - in the latest release.

On a day when coverage of the presumptive Republican nominee has been dominated by his inability to immediately recall how many homes he owns, his campaign is hoping that "The One" can save the news cycle.

Earlier: 'They will call him The One,' says McCain Web ad

In 'The One: Road to Denver,' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is quoted calling Obama "a leader that God has blessed us with at this time," and a recording of Virginia Governor Tim Kaine - a top Democratic VP prospect - is played in which he expresses relief that Obama's call for a cease-fire in Georgia has been heeded.

"His hand guides the world," says the announcer.

"...In Denver, you will see the light," the announcer says later. "He may be 'The One,' but is he ready to lead? No."

Filed under: John McCain • Political ads
  1. anonmouys

hillary not the only one that can make obama win

August 21, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. November 4th Is the Day Of Reckoning

We love this country too much to let John McCain demolish it. So Barack H. Obama is my number ONE choice. Thank you for reminding me GOP.

The One and Only Candidate for this Country at this TIME.

August 21, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Gene

Does anyone else here think McCain has the mentality of a spoiled child?

August 21, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  4. A CANUCK

McCain is just like Hillary.........really ticked off because Barack Obama is .....honest ...educated.....bright.....moral.......decent.....forward thinking....and is also very easy on the eyes. He will be the victor....because good will prevail over evil. OBAMA 2008

August 21, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. Chut Pata

I would rather have the "One" rather than the entire oil mafia, that plundered my country for 8 years, to go on for another 4 years.

August 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Terry, Lakeland Florida

How about you guys listen to the ad, rather then throwing out your left wing attacks. The Dems (Yes you) Are calling Obama the second coming of Christ..not the repubs. Nancy Pelosi seems to think he's the second coming. Why should McCain not point that out. Heck I bet most of you already have a small shrine built.

August 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. ex-Republican for Obama

Is he ready to lead? Yes.

August 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Doreen J.

How long until the US electorate find these ads juvenile – enough is enough. Is that the best the Reps have?

August 21, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. Get a Grip

Maybe McCain thought this up when he was in the "cone of silence" on the way to Rick Warren's church!!!

August 21, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. cindy's limp wrist

Yes he is, and he's also the ONE that will win come november.

McLame = no shame.

August 21, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Erika M. NYC

I never planned on voting for McCain but at least I respected the man. This is a low for him and I have now lost respect for him. I am a Christian and I think this is offensive. It has all sorts of anti-Christ overtones and I don't think it's lighthearted humor as McCain's campaign would have us believe. Attacks like these are just wrong. I would prefer to know what McCain's stance is on issues and how they differ from Obama's stance. I don't want to hear about questioning judgement because where was McCain's when this video was released? And what happened to McCain's commitment to run an election fight on the issues???

August 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. Terry, Lakeland Florida

oh and lets talk about the K5 scandal. I'd post it there but CNN tends to close comments when they feel like it....which is normally within seconds. McCain was only included in the K5 because the left wing Dems wanted to include a non-dem. It should have been the K4 (All Dems) McCain was clear of all wrong doing and it's a well documented fact that he should never have been included in that scandal. How about you guys do some research, it only took me around 5 minutes to dig up all the facts…you should try fact finding sometimes.

August 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. Jason -NV

Wow, I guess McCain is smart enough to realize he can't win on the issues huh?? Guess we have hit smear and fear mode?

MCCAIN IS IN FAVOR OF A DRAFT ! ! !
    18-35 years old? See ya in Iraq, Afgan, Russia, or China guys!
    McCain has made it clear that Russia and China are on his hit list.
    For the love of country people, can we all grow up??????????????

August 21, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. Davd

Perhaps the religous will see this literally, and really want "The One". Careful Mr McCain, this might just catch on!

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. kayla

YES , HE IS THE ONE THAT WILL BLOW YOU OUT THE WATER, YOU OLD GOAT.

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. Oscar P

Anyone else out there suspicious about Cindy McCain's sudden arm injury? I know the campaign says it was a hard hand shake but would you expect anything else?

He has a quick temper. He's been known to cuss her out in public, try to physically attack fellow senators. Whose to say the stress of the campaign hasn't been getting to him and quick draw McCain, was fighting with his wife, she tried to walk away and he grabbed her arm hard and yanked? Just saying......

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. Jeremy

Hopefully he is "The One" and all you sheep can finally get what you've been hoping for: The Rapture.

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  18. Lost (maybe) in CNN Moderation

Way to go evangelicals. McCain's your man. I didn't know blasphemy was no longer considered a sin.

I'm surprised they didn't throw in the POW card in since he can't go a day without reminding everyone that he's a war hero. I'd still like McCain to fully release his military records so I can judge for myself how much of a war hero he is.

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. R.I.F.

Hopefully the media won't fall for this attempt to change the subject. Today is about McCain and the fact that he can't remember how many homes he owns while he

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  20. Eccles

I'm going to cry.

August 21, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  21. Davd

OBama needs an ad calling McCain "The Other"

August 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Christian, Tampa FL

Stupid. This nonsense isn't going to work anymore, and I'm still angry that the McCain campaign is openly mocking Obama's supporters. If my candidate, Obama, was making fun of McCain's supporters, I'd chastise him as well.

August 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  23. True

As long as McCain isn't the one, I'll be happy.

Looks like McCain actually has a Man Crush on Obama ;) xoxxox

August 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  24. Alan Boyer

John McCain's Resume:

*US Senate AWOL-26 years
    *Adulterer-7 years
    *POW-5 years
    *Beer Distributor-2 years

Yep, he's just what America needs!

August 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. TERRY GILL

This is getting so old! How about the issues, MCccain...I watched a recent interview, the question was on the tax policy. Obama was straight forward with answers. McCain skirted the issue. What does that tell you!

August 21, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |