August 21st, 2008

McCain camp says Obama's still 'The One'

The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.
The McCain camp released “The One: Road to Denver” Web video Friday.

(CNN) - The One has returned.

John McCain's campaign released a sequel to its Web video about presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama that used footage of Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea, images of light streaming from the heavens, and a gospel choir to paint Obama as an arrogant politician who bought into near-messianic hype over his candidacy.

They're all back "by popular demand," according to McCain spokesman Brian Rogers - along with new footage of Obama bodysurfing on his recent Hawaiian vacation - in the latest release.

On a day when coverage of the presumptive Republican nominee has been dominated by his inability to immediately recall how many homes he owns, his campaign is hoping that "The One" can save the news cycle.

Earlier: 'They will call him The One,' says McCain Web ad

In 'The One: Road to Denver,' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is quoted calling Obama "a leader that God has blessed us with at this time," and a recording of Virginia Governor Tim Kaine - a top Democratic VP prospect - is played in which he expresses relief that Obama's call for a cease-fire in Georgia has been heeded.

"His hand guides the world," says the announcer.

"...In Denver, you will see the light," the announcer says later. "He may be 'The One,' but is he ready to lead? No."

Filed under: John McCain • Political ads
  1. OriginalObamatron

This I must say is the most stupid advert ever! It is incredibly funny, but it is still stupid. LMAO

August 21, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  2. GO AWAY MCCAIN

His campaign is good at making him look like a total IDIOT!

August 21, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Fool Me Once

McCain is "The One"

-the one that will reinstitute the draft

August 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. bluesky

I'm really disappointed in McCain over this ad. It demonstrates desperation and bitterness, not intelligence or true leadership.

August 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Praise McCain

Our true Messiah and war hero, who will lead us further down the path of glory that George Bush started this country on...His Father sent Him on a holy crusade to Vietnam...He fell from the sky...He was captured...But his Father set h\Him free...And rose up...McCain the Messiah...what a miracle!

August 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Republicans Hate America

so when Obama puts ads out showing macacins own words its negative campaigning yet these ads are ok? i sense this country is filled with proud ignorant rednecks.

August 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. KC

Does anyone fall for this stuff any more, it is 2008. Just think if McCain wins how he will handle diplomacy. Please no more shoot from the hip presidents.

August 21, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. proud army and navy mom

sooooooo lame. lame mccain

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Beverly, NYC

Is he running out of $ he now has to recycle commercials.

Mike, Syracuse is the water up there making you stupid?

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Ryan

Scare tactics...how idiotic and childish is it to peg Obama the anti-Christ?

The GOP is really, REALLY desperate.

Obama 08'

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. LMAO AFL Not Credible

I am the one... believe in me and you will find change... in your wallets......

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Dem 08

What the McCain commercial is saying that McCain is definitely not the one. The one to vote for.

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Cameron Johnson

We should all note that it's a web ad... Their campaign isn't putting a substantial buy behind it, which means it's just another flash in the pan that will gather attention for a few days.

However, Obama's ads, which are targeted for their states and running in huge volumes, are actually making an impact... :)

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. Brian

I love it! Way to answer the attack of the Obamabots. Every time they start making up stuff just hit 'em with this. Maybe they'll pipe down a bit and focus on the issues.

August 21, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. P Carter

Obama need to show McCain stating that he approve of reinstating the draft!! Why is CNN not talking about this!!

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. Wayne, Greenville TX

Gramps McCain and the other Republicans are scared and getting desperate.

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Funny stuff but Mr.O does play the Religious card...it's on tape.

Hey guys – actually watch this video!

He actually said "a light will shine down on you and you will know that you have to vote for Barack"...... Oh My God! (no pun intended).

I'm starting to see the light! I know I just have to believe in God's will and vote Obama! Wow – I can feel the warm love of God on this day, the day I cast my vote.

Praise the lord! Praise Obama!! NOT.

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Jon

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it." - George W. Bush.

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Funny stuff

Hey guys – actually watch this video!

Praise the lord! Praise Obama!! NOT....

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Dianne

McCain wishs he was the one. He wishs he could get 75,000 people in one place to hear him. Obama he has a dream for our country and is willing to GO FOR IT.

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. paul LA

I have not heard McCaine answer a question yet he always say what he wants to do . I want a million dollars and four houses like him in five years. OH but how will do this? Obama explains.

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. Justin (ny, ny) - INFOMRED voter

I mean, really – how utterly despicable and pathetic is this line of "attack"??? They're not even attacking his policies anymore (presumably because the McCain camp realizes that Obama is RIGHT on just about every single one – while McCain doesn't actually have any policies to speak of).

For you McCain voters – why are you voting for him? Which "policies" of his speak to you the most? Is it the anti-celebrity view you like? Or is it his hatred of tire gauges? or do you guys LOVE nukes, and war, and tax breaks for billionaires? which of those things is it that draws you to McCain?

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. IM

McCain, are you mad because you used to be the one? Remember those days, a long, long, very long time ago?

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  24. Deb, Allentown, PA

Can you spell desperate?

Hint....it's P O W

The reason John McCain doesn't know how many houses he has? " he lived in one house for 5 1/2 years – in prison".

August 21, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. John Smith

The Democrats are so self-destructive! How can anyone with a brain larger than a bird ask Obama to choose Hillary (and Bill) to return to the White House.

Such a choice will wake up even DEAD Republicans to return to the pools. Let the active Hillary supporters understand that Hillary (or Bill) is NOT fit to return to that White House.

Like Bill, McCain is loaded with past sins that will forever hunt America, if he were to be President. Cindy McCain stole someone else's husband

August 21, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |