August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. CM

LOL....I love the answer to the question posed to him.

That decisive enough for you star-struck Saddleback watchers?

August 21, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. hillybilly

wesley clark!

August 21, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. Corey, Maryland

Please Please Please let it be Bill Richardson !!!!!!!!! With him on the ticket, the Democrats will have no problem winning, Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico, and maybe even Arizona! We cant lose with Bill!!!!

Obama Richardson 2008!!!!!

August 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. deroy

it's putin.

so someone will have a backbone.

August 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. Spencer in LA

OBAMA NATION!!!! ITS TIME!!!

The Attacks on McSame are working, the VP choice will be awesome, and our convention will kick tar out of McSame and the right wing.

Attack Attack Attack...... No More Mr. Nice Democrat!!

Obama 08!!

August 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. Nom Deplume

Check the papers. Is Hugo Chavez in town this weekend? How about Daniel Ortega?

Maxine Waters and Bernie Sanders are available if Obama wants to appear centrist.

Or is it going to be someone whose name really should be first on the ticket like Biden, Bayh or Powell?

August 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. ron

if anybody believes that obama will take advice from his vp they are living in lala land.

August 21, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. anonmouys

no hillary in this comment guys

August 21, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Latinos for Obama

There is no doubt Obama is right for this country. Panamanian McCain an avid gambler with unresolved PTSD will destroy what is left of this great country.

What we have seen and heard from Obama thus far brings hope that America will once again be respected worldwide and our great country will once again prosper!

August 21, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. Tony

Then tell us and stop acting like some ridiculous 16 year old school girl with a secret!!

Grow up and start acting presidential!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. HSNP

NO HILLARY, NO VOTE!!!!!!!!!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  12. Nom Deplume

Sonya,

I will help you pack!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. mel

Give us a hint

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. gl

As I was coming back from my lunch, I was asked by a reporter how I thought should be Obama VP and pick Biden. I hope he is the one!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. texas democrat

joe biden is the one!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. NoMcSame

That's right make the old man sweat. His heart is double pumping fight now. I know that it won't be Billary and that is good. Her people is meeting behind closed doors with the enemy. What a low life Billary is. She will not win

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  17. OBAMAVP

I HOPE IT BIDEN!!!!
    IT BETTER NOT BE HeLLARY!!!!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. Dan

HILLARY! I know it for sure.

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Lovely in VA

Does not matter, he has my vote! Although Gore would be nice!

August 21, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Erik

He has to put Clinton on the ticket to ensure victory in November.

August 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  21. Al in North Carolina

Does it really matter any more?

August 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. larryh wi

Soupy Sales, or maybe even Howdy Doody.

August 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Obamalism

The fact that he's using the pick of his VP to try and gain back some lost media frenzy is pathetic.

Does it really really matter that much who the VP is? Will the undecideds actually determine their vote based on a VP. Unless the president dies, the VP is nothing more than a mouth piece. He's not the president and has NO power to shape policy unless the president gives him that.

It's sad that the VP process is nothing more than a tool to garner more votes.

August 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Gloves come off

It could mean another 4 years of a Republican in the White House.

Hillary's voters will not be pleased with his decision, I'm afraid. Maybe it would make it better with some if he gave her a key position in his cabinet...?

August 21, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |