August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Phil P

I wish he would announce ASAP cause if it's not Hillary her supporters will need as much time as possible to heal.
    This is a touchy situation, that can give McCain even more of a boost than the most recent polls if not handled correctly

August 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. Tony

I sure hope McCain chooses someone pro-choice. He is ignorant and arrogant enough to do just that and his evangelical whack-job base will abandon him.

Pick Lieberman or Ridge. Come on Johnny Boy, don't dissapoint.

August 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. Henry

Please God, don't let it be Billary. Amen.

August 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. Don

Yes we can with BO/JB 08.

Do you smell what Barack is cooking?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Tony

Barack just called me. It's Biden. Finally, a good decision.

August 21, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Spencer

Get ready to have your shoes knocked off Republicans.

Obama/Powell

or

Obama/Clinton

or

Obama/Biden

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. fella from Chicago

If it's Hillary, the election is over and the Democrats have won. Anyone else and the Republicans are more than alive and well; and that's even if Senator McCain screws up and chooses Lieberman or Ridge.

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. TheTruthHurts

This is news HOW?

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. go_kathy

i hope is kathleen sebelius!!!!!seconf choice, chuck hagel, third choice,chris dodd!!!

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. GEORGIA FOR OBAMA

Obama will choose the right person. He's been smart on everything else, I'm sure he will be smart on this decision too. He's the smartest man in the world.

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. mike s.

Who cares.

I am completely baffled as to why the Democrats thrust Obama upon us as The Chosen One.

PUMA.

This lifelong Democrat will be voting for McCain.

McCain '08

August 21, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. mark

Obama, take Hillary as vice president and you will win for 100% !!!!!!!

Obama/Clinton '08

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Molly

I've Decided too – I will NOT vote for obama!
    OBama is a FRAUD – he will NEVER be elected.

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. OBSERVERING

A L W A Y S--S U B J E C T-- T O-–F I N E-–T U N I N G---

L I K E-–H I S --O T H E R--P O S I T I O N S---

M A K E S-–K E R R Y-–S O U N D--C O N S I S T E N T ! ! ! ! ! !

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. Jason

Let's let the superdelgates vote for the Presidential nominee first!!!

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. richard j

heh, so tomorrow will there be a news story about obama saying ". . .on who. . ."

Then maybe a story later that says obama said ". . .will be. . ."

Then another. then another. then another.

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. jg

Enough already-I am getting VP fatigue.I am going to vote for the guy no matter who he chooses. As a matter of fact, if Elmer Fudd was the Democratic presidential nominee, I would vote for him....makes no difference. Just get the Republicans out....

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. gram

Hillary or he doesn't get my vote.

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Spencer

HSNP must be down with PUMA.

Hi Hater!

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. arlene, CA

Obama/Kaine

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Kim, PA

HIllary or BUST!

anyone else would just be insane and for the last time.....

NOT GET MY VOTE OR ELSE!

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  22. Eli

PLEEEEASE he has known, and if it was not for his cocky attitude he WOULD know exactly who he should pick, HILLARY CLINTON. If he would tell the truth he knows she should be the one picking a VP. The DNC gave this to the BIG O and with the help of the REPUBLICANS voting for him(thinking it was funny) in the begining before they got worried about him he would not be where he is today.

August 21, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Russell

****************************************************************************

Any Clinton supporter who says they'll vote for McCain is NOT a Clinton supporter and shame on her for not impressing that on them.

Selfish PUMAs would rather destroy the county than accept the defeat of their candidate. YOU ARE WORSE THAN THE REPUBLICANS!

****************************************************************************

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Raymond Duke

Who cares. It is him and the democrat leadership committee that I will be voting against. I say it is time to teach Obama , his supporters and people like Nancy Pelosi , Harry Reid , Ted Kennedy and Howard Dean that they do no control the democrat party and select a canidate for us. We could get that done in Russia. I think that if it was possible for me to be in Denver and In that delegation I would by no means show them what I think of their selection process. If women put up with what the democrat leadership party did to them than they get what they deserve. Get in line for another 100 years, shut your mouth and be barefoot and pregant.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. Rob

I knew it, it is going to be Bugs Bunny. awesome, both attract the youth. looool.

Rob