August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Paul

If he doesn't pick Hillary, it's no big deal. I'll just write her name in on the ballot in November.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Alex V- NJ

Right now I think its Kain. Obama has a lot of good choices what really matters is what Obama says his reasons are and how that plays in the media. They could sink the campaign if he comes across as being too political in his choice. This is the command decision that could really hurt him. Personally I'd like to see Powell or Richardson... Hagel would set forth a firestorm which could be good or bad, Biden and Bayh don't do much for me.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. Ex-Republican for Obama

My vote regardless goes to Obama, but if it's Hillary I will have to hold my nose and bring a barf bag into the voting booth.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Peggy - TX

I hope it is Joe Biden. But who ever Obama picks, I will support him/her.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. obamaton

Mr too!

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. Mary

I so wish it turns out to be Hillary. I sure will be disappointed if not however I am not dumb to cast my vote for someone who is on an entirely different page and Hillary and Obama just because Hillary is not on the ticket. I care about pocket book issues more than ever and Hillary too would want me to cast my vote for Obama who is closer to her positions than McCain ever would be. I hope other sisters will do the same but I'd understand and respect if they didn't. I just would like to remind all my sisters out there that Obama is way closer to our issues than McCain ever would be. Voting for McCain is voting against Hillary and being for Hillary and voting for McCain are just contradicting each other in a sense. But like I said, I'd respect everybody's right to chose. Blessings to all.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. Golden

I bet he will surprise everyone with Clinton..

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  8. Dave F

Oh CM, you ignorant fool. That is very decisive. Should we compare this to the man who forgets what his decisions are soon after making them? Should we compare him to the man who may choose Leiberman, a man who already lost the bid for VP, and who can't decide which party he belongs to? Pathetic.

August 21, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  9. John

I agree with the 16 year old girl comment. Get over yourself and announce it already.

Hillary was right, he can't make up his mind and he is not presidential. Annoying!

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Peter

I hope it's Biden too – he's praised McCain more than any other person over the last 8 years. He'd give the Republicans all the fire power they need.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Steve

One thing for sure. It's NOT Hillary. Stop dreaming. He's been doing just fine without her. In fact, he's been doing just fine with her and Bill's sneaky attempts to undermine him.

For all of those who will vote for McCain instead of Obama if Hillary isn't on the ticket (there must be like, oh, maybe 11 of you), how about a McCain/Clinton ticket? Does that sound weird? It should. But that's essentially what you're advocating.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Chris Portland, OR

Man, it's gonna be sweet to see the Obamamaniacs freak out when he announces HILLARY as his VP choice.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Chi4Obama

Nice job CNN (and the rest of the media), for helping to create a frenzy as to "who" will be the VP pick. It's funny how headlines jump from "Biden" to "Kaine", to "Nunn", etc in just a matter of moments.

Then, it all of a sudden becomes a major newsstory if one of the presumptive candidates for VP claims that they are not interested.

Everyone please calm down and relax.
    No need to speculate, or get overly anxious.
    Obama will announce his VP, when he announces his VP…….

Until then, take a chill pill.

Democrats '08.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Saad from NJ

For the sake of our country and the world, I hope it is Senator Biden.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Gene C

If Obama doesn't pick Hillary Clinton, it doesn't make any difference who he picks because he/she isn't going to be the vice president.

August 21, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Do we really need an immature presidential candidate playing 'I've got a secret' with the country? If you've decided just try to be decisive for once and say it.

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. Theresa

Why the secret ??????? as I have said before GROW UP Obama

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. Dinnylou

Joe Biden...Joe Biden....Joe Biden....once, twice
    and three times – HOPE, HOPE, HOPE!!

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. Madrep

Maybe, it's his preacher! Did we all forget that?

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. Charles

My choice in order would be:

1) Jim Webb

2) Joe Biden

3) Chuck Hagel

85000) Hillary Clinton

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. Tony Debo - Portland

Katherine Sebelius

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. sha

Tony – Obama is not acting any different than any other presidential candidate when picking his VP nor is his timing for announcing it any different. Its not him acting 16 year old school girl its called the M-E-D-I-A. There the ones talking about it 24/7....

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Gary of El Centro, Ca

And the excitement builds.......this is fun!

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Liberal4Obama

We have a ticket. Is McCain ready to follow Obamas lead?

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. acspore

The Republicans, consciously or not, are approaching this election like a capital murder case. All they have to do, they figure, is put "reasonable doubt" into the minds of voters about Obama, in spite of plenty of evidence that Obama is clearly more intelligent, has more depth, reasoning power, is more tempered, has more judgment, leadership, and vision than McCain.
    But this is not the O.J. case.
    The Republican approach is cynicism at its worst. Let's not let dirty tricks cloud our judgment. The evidence is clear. Obama is the President for America this November.

August 21, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |