August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Spencer

As a great General once said: "being a POW doesn't make you qualified to be Commander In Chief." W.C.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. RC

Attack Attack Attack – No More Nice Democrat!
    Attack Attack Attack – No More Nice Democrat!
    Attack Attack Attack – No More Nice Democrat!

That's the only language McSame/Lumbaugh understand.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Curliss

No Hillary ... Then its McCain ... closest we got to presidential material. Obama is just too inexperienced.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Republicans Hate America

it does not matter because i will never vote for McWar no matter who the VP is or is not.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. astuteness

Obama should choose Veep who is harder than Obama on jewesh (sp?) puppets like Lieberman, so that they go against the grain and struggle to keep Barack H ( yes H) Obama alive.

Senescent McNuts should retire.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. MD in GA

I hope it's Joe Biden. Tough, learned, down to earth, foreign policy experience, same basic values and ideals. Obama/Biden sounds like an unbeatable ticket to me.

Hillary would be a mistake now, given the Clinton's true feelings and I voted twice for Bill. It just seems they don't know how to work with anybody except people who are subservient to them. That's really too bad cause I actually wanted an Obama/Clinton or Clinton/Obama ticket at one point.

August 21, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. Joe from Ohio

NO HILLARY

NO VOTE!!!

8. curiousnumbers

HIT 'EM BARACK!!

HIT HIM!

9. Lula

It's Chuck Hagel

10. nic

As much as I supported Barack in the primaries, I would not mind seeing Hillary on the ticket. Although Obama could do it with Biden/Kaine/Richardson etc.., having Hillary on the ticket will COMPLETELY bury the Republican'ts. A landslide victory is what we need. Just to prove the point. I am a democrat, a student, and a taxpayer but before all of those, I am an American. This country needs more politicians like Barack Obama.............Waiting on the text message buddy.

11. Racy

Obama will loose. He is so unexperinced and he should also go help his brother come out from the slums in kenya.

12. SUE IN CT

Oh, please – let it be JOE BIDEN! He will crush ANYONE McCain chooses in a VP debate!

13. Vegas Barbie for Obama

I am voting for him no mater who he picks, UNLESS it is HRC, then I may seriously consider staying home. She needs a cabinet post, not to be waiting in the wings for some "calamity" to befall President Obama.

14. Chi4Obama

I wish that Vegas had a line on who would be the VP pick.
    My money would be on Biden. Although I consider Gore a darkhorse.

I would certainly be betting on Hillary.
    Sorry PUMA's LOL

(Note to CNN moderator: – this comment is duplicated due to a typo from previous post).

15. MikeH

I don't care who it is, just start going after McCains abysmal record and exposing his two-face ways.

Glen Beck needs to get back to following his 12-step program paying particular attention to rigorous honesty.

16. Lyle

After the announcement, please allow 48 hours for Mr. Obama to change his mind.

17. Gregor

I'm hoping for a huge sensation like Gore or Clinton.

18. Speider

Just a stab in the dark, but I'm guessing it won't be Hillary Clinton and there will be numerous threats from supporters of Senator Clinton to vote for McCain out of spite.

19. REPUBLICAN FOR OBAMA

Barack Obama has my vote no matter who it is.

20. John

Anyone but HILARY!!!!!!!!

21. Maria

If there is a God in Heaven – It will be Hillary Clinton !

He will NOT WIN without her. Pennsylvania (My State)
    will NEVER elect him without her. I know so many democrats
    that tell me that they will vote for a Republican for the first
    time if Hillary is not on that ticket. This is recent. The Democrats
    NEVER united.

Please God, make it be Hillary. I think he will pick Joe Biden.
    IF HE DOESN'T PICK HILLARY – MCCAIN WON!

22. Dan S

Gore gore gore! Imagine if he texted out that Al Gore would sing up for one more 4 year tearm. It would be incredible, it would blow everyone away and unite the party in one instant! It would give Obama incredible momentum and catapult him beyond the reach of McCain's slime machine.

23. Rudy NYC

I've decided, too.

Sooner or later the rest of America is going to decide on whether this election is referendum on Obama or a 3rd Bush term.

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. anonmouys

shut up about hillary

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. Ridgeway

As a conservative Republican I hope it's Biden the plagerist. We know for a fact he's brain damaged.

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |