August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Trever

Hillary! Hillary! Hillary!

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. John Smith

The Democrats are so self-destructive! How can anyone with a brain larger than a bird ask Obama to choose Hillary (and Bill) to return to the White House.

Such a choice will wake up even DEAD Republicans to return to the pools. Let the active Hillary supporters understand that Hillary (or Bill) is NOT fit to return to that White House.

Like Bill, McCain is loaded with past sins that will forever hunt America, if he were to be President. Cindy McCain stole somone else's husband.

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  3. Anonymous

If it's me, just tell me.

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. Chi4Obama

Breaking News,

Obama announces HILLARY as VP!!!!!!!!!!

NOT!!1 (LOL).

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. aki

IF HE DOSE HILLARY HE WILL LOSE MY VOTE.

August 21, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. JB

Obama ... landslide 2008.

7. brad winkler

hillary for the win

8. Scott

Evan Bayh is the best choice. Moderate from a red state, very popular, even among Republicans in Indiana.

OBAMA/BAYH 2008!!!!!!

9. Billy

He has my vote regardless.

If it is Hillary, at least we know she knows how to attack.

10. dee

Hillary or Biden However whoever he picks I will vote for Him Obama 08/ No Way MCSame we all will be BROKE

11. Milo Ippolito

Anything short of Al Gore will be a disappoinment.

12. Sue from California

There is a good side and a bad side to any choice he makes. Putting Hillary on the ticket would probably mobilize the conservative republican base to fully support McCain.

13. Lopez

No Matter who it is. If we want to fix this country and get jobs back, then we need to stand behind him and put behind our differences, that is the only way we can solve problems. If we don't then the economy will continue to suffer and more jobs will be loss.

Please everyone come out and vote Democrat this November.

We need to give Obama a chance!

14. Gary of El Centro, Ca

I just got the word......its Richbidenkaine.

15. GO MCCAIN

Deroy–You are so right. Putin would be a good VP for him. After all, his leftist policies lie pretty close to communism.

16. Rob

Tony...Who really sounds like a 16-year old???
    I wanna know NOW...I can't wait....Its not fair.....you're dumb....
    I WHAna know NOW....whaa....whaaa

17. EDW

Any man, any campaign that can be this closed lip deserves our vote. This is amazing.
    Meanwhile....McCain's campaign is playing the POW card again.

aide Brian Rogers, in full damage-control mode, acknowledged that his boss had "some investment properties and stuff," but added: "This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years - in prison."

18. barb

If Obama does not put Hillary on the ticket I think he deserves to lose!!
    Also, I blame the T.V. Pundits!!!

19. Anonymous

Tony:

I suspect Obama has his own timeline (sorry, aspirational time horizon) and is not concerned that you want to know now.

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. sherry for Obama

Gee Erik ....Guess what Obama will win without Clinton.

If you feel you need to something nice for Hilary , why dont you get a hold of a bunch of pumas and guys like you that voted for hertogether and take up a collection and help pay off her debt......I think she would really like that.......

You just are going to have to get used to the idea that Obama will be president and theres nothing you can do about it..........

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. Jeffrey Rath

Hillary

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. John in Ohio

There's VP candidates I'd like to see, but short of a neoconservative Republican there's not a lot of people Obama can pick that will keep me from voting for him. My least favorite pick would be Hillary, but I'd tolerate her. I'd be very worried about Obama's health after next January, but I'd tolerate her regardless. Outside of that, I'd like to see Hagel (strange, I know, but I think he'd bring a lot to the ticket), Kaine, or Sebelius.

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. Spencer

I kinda wish it was Hiliary Clinton. I think they would make an awesome team. However he does not need her to win!!

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. Chris

Who cares?

Franly all this cloak-and-dagger intrigue involving the VP choices (from both parties) is tiresome. Just name them already.

Not that it matters. People don't vote for VP. Edwards didn't help Kerry win any of the South.

August 21, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  25. Kim

I'm not sure where my vote's going yet – but I do know this – I won't vote for the candidate that only agrees with my personal beliefs on select issues. My vote will be cast for the candidate that I believe will do what's best and most needed for our entire country right now – reduction of our debt and an end to the war.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |