August 21st, 2008

Obama: I've decided

Obama says he has made up his mind.
Obama says he has made up his mind.

(CNN) - The political world may not yet know who the next Democratic vice presidential candidate will be, but Barack Obama does.

The Illinois senator told USA Today Thursday he has made up his mind on who he will ask to join him on the Democratic presidential ticket.

"Yes," Obama said matter-of-factly when asked if the decision had been made.

But Obama refused to say whether the newly-minted Democratic VP had been informed yet. "I won't comment on anything else until I introduce our running mate to the world," he said. "That's all you're going to get out of me."

Obama is expected to appear at a rally with his running mate in Springfield, Illinois Saturday. It remains unclear just when the campaign will announce the VP choice via text message.

UPDATE: CNN's Chris Welch reports Barack Obama confirmed to reporters in Virginia he has made up his mind.

“I did say that I've made the selection and that's all you're going to get," Obama said.

Watch: "I've made the selection," Obama says

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Elizabeth

i hope its hillary that wuld b rlly gangster

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Ridgeway

And the running mate is??? Ayres, Wright, bin Laden, Guevarra (he's dead but why not), Reid (no he's worse the others and he just looks dead).....

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. rb in ne.

an idiot in the whitehouse and two more that want in......hmmmmm

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  4. Debra Austin, Texas

Norm Deplume: Chavez, Waters, Ortega, Sanders sure would be better than Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, McCain.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. Juli

It will be interesting to see if he bows to the pressure and picks Hillary. Will make me definitely question his backbone and judgement. It's clear he wants someone else, but with his lack of experience, I won't be surprised if he goes with her, and succumbs to the pressure he's under. Not exactly commander-in-chief qualities.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. Jo

If he hasn't selected Hillary he does not get my vote, McCain will and its the first time I will have voted republican

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Slowpoke

He told someone last week he decided. Way to stay up to date.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. SIMP

I know he made a great choice because it won't be hillary clinton.

So Erik you can kick rocks, he does not have to put her on the ticket, and guess what he wont. and he will win the election in November. I get so tired of you hillary hot air blowers saying he better or he has to put her on the ticket, not gonna happen cappen. LOL

Go Obama

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. The World is Waiting

The World is Waiting for BHO to announce is VP. The World??? Really? I didn't know that BHO was running for President of the United World. That's news to me. Again, he is showing his arrogance and how much of an elitist he is as well as his ego. What garbage!!!! BHO needs to quit this race. Does he not know what office he is running for? It's called President of the United States not the world. Give me a break!!!!! Vote McCain. The last thing we need in office is a nutjob who is guided by his ego and not his brain. McCain in 2008.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  10. Adam in NJ

Regardless of who Obama chooses as his running mate or who McCain chooses or how much mud he slings, I'm voting for Obama.

Four more years of Republican rule is four more years of folly.

August 21, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Dianne

I hate to said it but he may have chosen Hillary by what he said about his choice.. I hope it is Biden.

12. Raul in California

Kathleen Sebalius, fine governor of the State of Kansas will be Obama's vp. She is a terrific leader, elected and reelected on her own merrits, admired and respected by democrats,republicans and more importantly independants. woman of character, family person. She is an outsider, independant and will help Obama in many key areas.

Obama/Sebalius 2008 * Change we can believe in *

13. OH

Here is my bet y’all...I say it is Jack Reed of Rhode Island. Jack Reed has the experience and back bone BUT he is not from the South.

The CON is that a North Easterner may not bode well for the Middle American people who can't see beyond their toes.

Having two very intelligent fellows on the ticket will be a negative; there is a need for one to speak in tongues average people understand.

Say someone like George Bush who can't put together a complete statement with out making a fool of himself.

14. Jeb

Biden!!!

15. Brian

Republican's spending:

McCain owns 7 houses..... he wants the people of this nation to give him Number 8 at tax payer cost!

McCain also is going to use Tax Payer money to convince Tax Payers to put him in his 8th house!

What are YOU voting for?

16. Kevin, Austin

Please, Please, let it be me! Or if not me, my best friend Diego.

Sorry, this whole veepstakes thing is getting silly.

No Hillary No Vote.

Hillary No Vote.

That makes me laugh too.

17. BUZZARD'S KORNER

Whoever Obama has chosen as VP it will have been a very well thought out process, givin alot of consideration, weighing all the pros and cons to his decision, and standing by his word, that WE THE PEOPLE DESERVE TO KNOW FIRST!! THIS IS OUR CAMPAIGN, OUR GOVERNMENT, AND WE FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY HAVE A MAN WHO IS TRULY REPESENTING THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!

Not a Warmonger like McIdiot.....who all he knows how to do is FIGHT. SURGE.....AND BELITTLE!!!!

BUZZARD'S KORNER!!

18. Richard PA

Biden or HRC...

I like Biden alot because he can attack!!!

I like it when were on the attack for once. Please keep them on defensive instead of us!

The best Defense is a good Offense!!!

Go Bama 08

19. SLIMSISTA FROM NEW YORK

COLIN POWELL...THAT WOULD BE AWESOME...

TWO AFRICAN AMERICANS RUNNING THIS COUNTRY AND WILL DO A BETTER JOB THE THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION...

OBAMA/POWELL I KNOW THAT WOULD UPSET THE STATUS QUO!!!

20. Dave in Boston

We're taking our country back. Get on board OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.

21. Jimmy in SC

All you people that say you will vote for McCain if he does not pick Hillary are out of your minds! Just like a child saying " if we dont play what I want to play then I am taking my toys and going home"! Well go ahead! Just hope you even have a home to taket hem to if McCain wins!

22. Jesse, St. Louis Park, MN

WESLEY CLARK!!!!!!!!!

Washington outsider, foreign policy/military background, progressive Democrat with campaign experience who knows how to attack McCain effectively!

23. lol

maybe it's rezko the convicted felon, who got obama the sweet deal on his mansion. another possibility can be bill ayers the "friendly" unrepentant terrorist that barack thinks is an ok guy because he blew up the pentagon some thirty years ago, so since he's a professor now, he's a pillar of the community. or maybe he can step out of the box and bring rev. wright back from retirement!

24. Dem for Unity

"My fellow Dems", Our time has come for Victory. Who cares about the Hillary bloggers. Who cares about the Ney sayers. Its our time. Obama Will win more hearts over. Lets Celebrate no matter who the pick is. Toast .....To our future.

25. Thomas, CT

Hillary – or no November victory.

It's as simple as that.