August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. Joseph in PA

Sen. McCain recently agreed with a woman at a campaign event that the military draft needs to be reinstated. MCCAIN WANTS TO REINSTATE THE DRAFT!!!!

This is a dangerous position. What wars is HE planning now? Iran? Russia?

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  2. Michael in MO

"I DON'T LIKE ______" IS NOW TOUTED AS NEWS??!!! What has this country come to???!!! As a life-long democrat, I am among the millions who have been disenfranchised and ashamed of my party's conduct in this election year. Reid is just another example of the sell-outs to the young-n-hip, text-you-votes-in-today-kids, 20" sound-bite culture. Barry "Manchurian Candidate" Obama will not be getting my vote, but then, he and his Obamabots could care less, right?

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Carol

I can't stand John McCain either, but I do not think that this was an appropriate comment for Reid to make. It's no wonder why this Congress can't accomplish anything. They are too busy bickering like high school students.

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. william

With regard to "people make no sense"..what a childish, uneducated, and erstwhile disgusting piece of tiatribe. How do you cope with the pressure of being so wise and perfect???????? If you put that much energy into something constructive maybe the people in your inner circle might discover a better world!!!!

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  5. BK

Obama, Reid, and Pelosi are all losers and DNC is a joke. I can't believe I was a democrat all my life until this year. A do nothing congress and an inexperienced installed candidate. What a sham!

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  6. Tired of W, OH

Biff said:
    Please DON'T forget to mention the RECORD number of filibusters by Republicans to MAKE SURE nothing of substance got done.

(so they could then use it as a campaign ploy)..

Nice… one party holds the whole country's agenda hostage, then blames the other party.

Biff, thank you! Finally, someone out there gets it!

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. Voting in November

I can't stand John McCain, neither...

August 21, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. Dan , TX

McCain is right. We do need the draft. We can't invade Iran without more bodies. Every boy must be trained to fight and defend this country.

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  9. Rob n Miami

Wow. Reid and Pelosi are on a roll. I'm sure their approal ratings are just going to soar even higher (if thats possible) now that they have pissed off Clinton and McCain supporters.

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. Jason

Why isn't the story about McCain once again not knowing anything. HE doesn't know how many houses he owns. COME ON CNN.. this man is clearly UNFIT to be the President. He is suffering some sort of mental illness. He has to be steadied by Nurse Cindy everytime he walks up and down steps or stairs.. McCain remember Czechoslovakia, now the Czech Republic.. McCain also believes Iraq and Pakistan share a border.

I hate Reid and Pelosi and others who do nothing. But McCain needs to be called out. And CNN its your job to call him out. I bet you will censor this post like you do a lot of post, not just from me, but a lot of people. SHAME on CNN.. BOO HISS HISS

McCain = World War 3. Wake Up America and sense that reality!!

Anti-McCain, Anti-Puma, Anti-Clinton,

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  11. WeBoDave

I can't stand the Republican party and John McCain's criticisms of Democrats that are more true of themselves. Elitism, celebrity, responsibility for our current energy problems, irresponsible tax policy, obstructionism toward energy indepedence, effective allocation of our military resources, unamerican, unpatriotic and racist are all accusations at least alluded to by McCain and his campaign that are more true of McCain and the leaders of his political party.

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  12. Dj

I understand Mr. Reid because I can't stand that two-faced, lying, elitist, warmongering, prejudice, pandering, ancient neanderthal either!

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Ace

That's a really mature comment from the Senate Majority Leader... "I can't stand McCain." Reminds me of the dumb blonds in high school.

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Ken

I bet you that there are many that do not like Reid either. How can anyone have such an opinion, or talk about others as Reid has done, when in fact he is in no position to criticize others. What has Reid done?

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. hillybilly

600 other men were pows in the 'hilton' of vietnam.mccain was offered early release as a gesture to his father Admiril Mccain. lt. cmdr. mccain,refused and was an instant hero to america.however,he forgets to mention,that any one of the other 599 pows, would have without question,done the exact same thing.
    mccain's 'cross' story was never mentioned in any articles books reports quotes etc.,until he began his first presidential race in 1999,his "favorite author,solhenetzin,was a political prisoner in russia ,and related a very similar story in a book."i'm not calling anyone a liar,but, i think he has 'embellished his story to fit with his fav authors story",for the extra votes he may get from religious folks.is this another 'bosnia sniper- gate' issue?

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. billylee8

I can't stand McCain, but Reid and Pelosi have got to go too.

August 21, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. Jack

Well – Reid, Pelosi, Dean – and OBAMA – I can't stand you!

The Dems will lose – again!

August 21, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. Nova

I am sure Sen. Reid would work well with a president McCain. When both congress and the presidency is in the hands of the same party, bad legislation happens because there were no reason to compromise and the law were either far left or far right.

August 21, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. Michael

Harry Reid can't stand McCain.

Even if that was all I knew about McCain, it would be enough to get me to vote for McCain.

Vote McCain, a vote for Obama is insain!

August 21, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. Gary Chandler in Canada

American politics is SOOOO different from Canadian.
    If a Canadian leader had wanted to throw his wife into a topless, banana eating, pickle sucking contest with fat old men in stinky clothes, his party WOULD have been scrambling to find a replacement, and his career would be over. Add to the that, 'I don't know how many houses I own.'
    SOMEBODY should get McCain bragging about crossing party lines and being the bipartisan hero with the Committee they ran to hide all the POW files. WHY doesn't he want to bring this marvelous part of his resume forward. (Maybe it is the October Surprise?)
    Can SOMEBODY explain what it took to be offered early release from the Cong, which his daddy turned down, not him!
    He tries to committ suicide and he is hero!!!
    Speaking for the real heros who were POWS of the Cong, they did not talk, so they are dead.
    I AGREE 100% with Ross Perot's opinion of McCain, and he knew him better than most.
    KEATING 5

August 21, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  21. Derek in Seattle

Good for Harry.

August 21, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  22. sonya

For all those OBAMA bashers who are complaining liberals are ruining America, I would like to remind you of the current state of our country and perhaps you need to put up mirror and look at yourselves!! what this administration it has done to this great country!!!

For reals, if you want more of Bush policy then vote for McCain.

AND if its going to be another Bush regime then I am packing my bags and moving to CANADA!!!!

Enough is ENOUGH!!!