August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. speedracer

Why isn't more being said about John McCain's longtime reputation for having a volcanic temper?

His own Republican collegue from Alabama said that he didn't like John McCain and it is obvious that McCain is not suited for sensitive job of being President.

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. anonmouys

no mccain

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. Obama In the House

The majority of Americans agree with Harry.

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  4. Mike Foley

I wish Mr. Reid would look in the mirror and/or listen to some of his constant whining. If there was anybody in the Senate that people couldn't stand, Mr. Harry Reid would be at the top of the list.

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. John in Ohio

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. … Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Beeeeecause he's a Republican? Maybe? That sound like a good reason to not have him in the Democratic caucus?

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  6. Sam from Hatboro, PA

"The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and 'does not have the right temperament' to be commander-in-chief."

What exactly is the "right temperament," Senator Reid? Does it involve the inclination to trash talk those with whom one disagrees?

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Rose

Who cares what Reid says, he is such a joke. His democratic led Congress is the worst in the history of this nation. Their rating is even lower than Pres. Bush's rating. It is long overdue for term limits. Governors have term limit, Presidents have term limits why not Senators. If they can't be of any value after two terms they should leave. What has Reid accomplished in 20 years. I am betting that a lot of people can't stand Reid either.

August 21, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Joe Kiloz

O B A M A--A T E --B A D--S T U F F--I N--H A W A I I-–

N E G A T I V E-T O N E–B R E A T H--S P R E A D I N G--T O--

C O L L E A G U E S--W H O--C L A I M-D I S L I K E-– O F--

P A R T I S A N--P O L I T I C S-

S U G G E S T--P O L I T I C A L-–E N E M A ! ! ! !

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Donna

Way to go Harry....Its about time a democrat starts speaking the truth...

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. stacy

does Reid understand that a lot of people do not like he or Peloski.

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. John in Binghamton NY

bobie August 21st, 2008 1:54 pm ET

typical liberal hatred for good honest americans

--------------------

Who you calling good and honest? Mc Cain cheated on his first wife who waited 7 years for him to come home.

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. John in Ohio

"The current Congress has done less than any Congress in 20 years."

The current Congress doesn't have a veto-proof majority and its got a hostile idiot president who vetoes anything across his desk that wasn't sponsored *and* cosponsored by Republicans.

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. The truth is!

In your dreams mcCain!

"One particular politician several months aback was for setting time-table for withdrawal and the White House the Republicans(including John McCain) vilified that person.
    A certain politician suggested many months aback that we attack Al Qaida in Pakistan and the White House and the Republicans(including John McCain) vilified that person.
    A certain politician suggested engaging North Korea and Iran diplomatically several months aback and the White House and the Republicans(including John McCain) vilified that person.
    A certain politician warned of the dire situation in Afghanistan and the need to address the situation several months aback and that politician was vilified by the White House and the Republicans(including John McCain.

This "certain politician" is Senator Obama.

After several months with events playing it seems Senator has demonstrated sound judgment, foresight and to lead this country in the direction that is in the best interest of the country.
    Senator McCain and the Republicans have no vision have consistently demonstrated their lack of vision to lead this country.
    Fundamentally Judgment trumps experience, and that is what this election should be about.
    This election should be a referendum on where we the citizens want this country to go. Do we want to take the lead or be led?
    If we want to lead then the clear choice is the Senator from Illinois.
    If we want to be mere observes in the scheme of things then the Senator from Arizona is the clear choice".

August 21, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. Chuck

Liberal Twit!!!

Reid, Peloser, and Dean are just upset that the golden boy isn't running away with the election.

Sour Grapes Much?

This is the worst congress since the founding of our government.

McCain '08!!

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Andrea, GA

I agree with Reid, I can't stand McCain either. Reid is right, he doesn't have the right temperament to be president. He has an anger problem and will do and say anything to win.

Being kissed by George Bush doesn't endure me to him either.

Barack is right in that we should not have to tear each other down to pick a president, but what can I say, it works for the Republicans. They had an ill-prepared man in the White House for 8 years. I'd say that was a reason to keep the mud flying–it works.

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  16. sherry for Obama

Bobie its the republicans who have destoyed America

Thanks to the republican George Bush and Dick Cheney

Think back when Bill Clinton was president........

The economy was good and we werent 10 trillion dollars in debt

You need a reality check.

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  17. anonymous

Hey CNN – I said – who gives a big RA's who Harry Reid likes or dislikes? No one likes him! He's a joke.

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. Used to be a repuglican

Mccain doesn't have the right anything to be commander in chief so in essence Reid I agree wholeheartedly with you.

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  19. Kevin,FL

Reid I can't stand you and Pelosi – A Democrat

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  20. carlo

The reason why Congress has been effective is because you need a 60 person majority to avoid a filibuster, a tactic that has been effectively used by the GOP. In addition, Bush is veto happy, and stamps no on everything the Democratic Congress proposes. I love how people try to twist this around.

BTW, I can't stand McCain either.

August 21, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  21. eddiebly, Orlando FL

Let Liebermann go after the elections.

August 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. Down with the DNC

Tim, Seattle said:

@ Down With the DNC who said : "Hillary is not McCain. Obama's position is Hillary's position.
    ———————-
    SO expalin to me again you worthless PUMA, if Hillary and Barack's positions are the same, then why are you voting for McCAin? You are getting tripped up in your own mis guided hatred.
    ---------

I don't hate anyone. I never said I was voting McCain but I might as I do respect him. And someone else was right, you are the reason PUMA exists.

You really need to have some candy and relax before you have an anurism. My problem isn't with Obama; my problem is with nasty people like you and the corruption of the DNC. Just yesterday, Obama was looking for suggestions to make the primaries more fair. I agree with him.

Now, if only they made a laxitive that worked on your mouth...you constantly bash people on these blogs. Perhaps some therapy?

August 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

LMAO

August 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. Scott Tucson

Reid is just another of many whinny far left liberals who have done nothing for this Nation but to try and drag it's name in the mud. Him and Pelosi are a joke and their poll numbers reflects it.

August 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Pepou

I can't stand him either. He is a dangerous old fool who will do anything to get elected, with lies and deception and will take this country to ruin.

August 21, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |