August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. Very Important

I can't stand McBush either!

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. EBC

THANK GOD someone willing to TELL IT like it is.

I can' stand him either.....John McCain is a RICH ELITISTS going around pandering that he will follow Bin Laden into the Gates of Hell, what he DIDN'T tell you is that he plans to reinstitute the DRAFT and send ALL your sons and daughters in HARMS way again!!

This is also a manipulative John McCain, who clearly sat in front of hundreds of faith based voters and PANDERED, PANDERED, PANDERED his WELL-REHEARSED religion like a well-oiled car salesman!! His only focus was to SELL MY LIES, SELL MY LIES, SELL MY LIES!! EASY SUCKERS!!! EASY SUCKERS!!! EASY SUCKERS!!! For someone who claims to cling to his faith, he NEVER every talks about his faith until he's sitting in front of a faith based audience, SHAMEFUL!!

My grandma always told me there are MORE SINNERS claiming to have "FAITH" in "God's holy word", when in fact these same people are doing nothing but getting RICH off the Church and God's words. MORE sinners in the church then there are Saints!!

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. Joe in DE

Harry is prbably the most unpopular Senator with voters.

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. John Kaleto

That's OK, most people can't stand Harry Reid.

Just another example of how the democrats put personal feelings above doing what's right for the country. Ever since the 2000 election, it's been the democrats unwilling to work with the other side. Their anger has completely blinded them, almost to a fervent, religious pitch.

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. Don of Fairfax

Reid commenting on Senator McCain strengthens my view on what is right for America . . . and it is not Senator Reid.

Vote McCain 2008

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. Jags

EDW

In your claim that McCain knew all the questions before he got to the stage not only is unfounded but untrue. Fact, he is a person that answers fast to any question. So am I, does that make me a cheater when I am asked questions for big tests? Heck no, sometimes I even answer before the question is through just cause I have the jist of it before it is done. In also stating this you call a well renouned and honest christian a liar when he publically stated that McCain did not break the cone of silence or know the questions afore hand. Manly the pastor. So if you can't beat him, denounce his performance as cheating. Isnt that how it always goes?

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. Nancy, TN

Any man who stands with a president who will torture is wrong fo the country.

Reid is right, McCain doesn't have the temperament for the job.

Obama 08

August 21, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Marc PDX

Reid and Pelosi are the two most unprofessional congressional leaders I've seen in my lifetime. And add Howard Dean to that mix. Nice people.

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

"I can't stand McCain."

That sounds like words from an old R&B song.
    "I can't stand the rain!"

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. Barack Obama IS Our 44th president

I agree wholeheartedly with you Harry Reid. I can't stand him either – he is so negative and nasty. He is so wrong for this country. Under his administration nothing in Washington will change. Nothing of real concern to the American people will get done because he has no new ideas, no vision, no policies outside of Bush that will move us successfully forward in the 21st century. He doesn't have a health care plan, nor an education plan. He is weak , inexperienced and lacks good judgment on the economy and a whole host of issues.

It's time for the American people to get it right and NOT vote for McCain, instead vote for change. It's time for this country to turn the page and seek a new and better future for ourselves and our children.It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time to elect Barack Obama for president !

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Julie from LA

Reid is right about one thing–McCain's temperament.

The more I read about his anger management problems (including comments from his own Republican colleagues) the more I worry that he may have untreated PTSD.

As the Saddleback forum showed, he is obsessed with war–even questions that had nothing to do with foreign policy, he turned into answers with war.

And his empty boasts, "I know how to win wars" and "I know how to find bin Laden" are equally disturbing.

The temperament of a president is VERY important. I really worry about McCain's judgment being influenced by too much anger in the WH.

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. End the madness

Mike, Syracuse, NY

You know better, I have read many of your post and you are intellegent.
    Don't feed on others lack of it, the veto stamp has held them hostage but like I said, you already know that.

Obama 08

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. Peter (CA)

Big mistake Reid. Democrats have not been the in-the-gutter types that the Republicans relish and now is no time to start.

I do have to agree with the right wingers on your performance the last 2 years. I know you do not have a clear majority but I barely saw any effort from you. If Hillary is not Obama's VP pick, maybe she should be Senate majority leader.

August 21, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. Marcie, PA

Ditto, I can't stand him either. Add on Karl Rove, Dick Cheney and Rick Warren.

Obama 08

August 21, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. Mike - Texas

Harry Reid is irrelevant because Congress has a 9% approval rating, less than 1/2 that of Bush.

Reid, along with Murtha, Bidon, and Pelosi bashed our troops, which is unforgivable. They should all be gone.

August 21, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. Jane

Reid is nothing but a partisan hack and, like Obama, leadership of,

THE

MOST

DESPISED

CONGRESS

IN

HISTORY!!!

August 21, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. John in Binghamton NY

bobie – Bush is the one who literally was caught on camera hold the flag upside down.

Bush destroyed America with 6 years of personal war.

Why don't you stop taking right wing Rush trash as gospel and keep an open mind?????

August 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Jeff Brown

I agree with Harry, except Lie-berman has to go!

August 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. JC

The current support for Congress is even lower than the support for Bush. Who cares what the leader of one of the most unpopular houses of congress ever says.

August 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Reid can have an honest dislike of someone. He expressed problems with McCain. Have you known an office or area that everyone gets along? If you have, I'd like to know where you work or live.

Bobie - how is McCain or Reid more honest than the other? Have you known both of them for a considerable period of time?

August 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  21. Down with Obama

LMAO, I can't stand Ried, Pelosi or Obama!!!!

August 21, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  22. Barack Obama IS Our 44th president

McCain is an old, foul, negative and scandalous jealous loser who definitely prides himself on being ignorant.

When it's all said and done in November, he will be defeated by Sen. Obama. He is so blinded by his own lies and falsehood that it's difficult for him to clearly comprehend that he is the only one who is "out of touch" and lacks experience and judgment on every area that concerns the American people – economy, energy, health care, etc. etc.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. proud army and navy mom

my sentiments exactly. thank you mr. reid.

mcwar is inept and incompetent.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. Jeff

Harry Reid and Pelosi have presided over the most do-nothing congress in modern history. I have been a lifelong Democrat and am ashamed at the horrible job our leadership has done. Do you really think that these do-nothings can keep know-nothing Obama in check if he should win the election? They will be worse than the Republican congress with G.W. Bush. They will rubber stamp everything that he wants to do no matter how bad. No matter who wins the election, the next four years are going to be a disaster.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  25. Robert

McCain, Reid, and Lieberman are all dummies.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |