August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. California Gold

McCain has bigger problems than Reid not liking him.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. Hello!!!

I can't stand Reid.....or Pelosi for that matter.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  3. al in memphis

Is this what we been reduced to Liberal or Republician? Rather than this political sectarian violence, give me someone who is interested in the tough decisions that have to be made to fix this nation.
    No wonder they wants us out of Iraq.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  4. RRO

How is Obama's message of change going to last when you have a fossel like Reid as Majority leader in the Senate. He is partisan, bitter and as steeped in old politics as anyone.

Hillary Clinton for Majority Leader.
    Obama for President
    Bayh for Vice President
    Biden for Secretary of State

A winning team all around.

August 21, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. Eugene Caudill

As a dem in fl.obama is bad for this country.So McCain gets my Vote

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  6. Biffington, Biff

Well...
    The man is entitled to his opinion.

I just happen to agree!

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. Kyle in San Diego

oooh, Reid is getting fiesty, lol.

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. judy, Wisconsin

At a recent interview, McCain was asked how many homes he owns and he said he'd have to get back about it, he wasn't sure. Alzheimers, stupidity or out of touch–which one?

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. Bill From Florida

Reid is a frustrated old man that dosen't like anyone.

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  10. La Raza

Americans must answer this question:

Do you want to be at war with Iran and Russia?

If you answered yes than consider McCain. Oh yeah, and I hope your children are registered for the selective service. Myself, I chose not to support McCain. I don't care how much experience he has. Some experience is bad experience. Give me the rookie.

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. Scott Tucson

Not only is the democrate party a party of tax and spend and tax some more, it's a party of wimps. Seems the only ones that truly has any gonads are Hillary and Michell Obama.

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. ObamaAllTheWaytoWH

Mccain temper will destroy this nation, he gets angry very easy, angry people are emotional can not make a good judgement. This guy will go to war with any country that does not agree with him then it will be the end of America.

August 21, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  13. Laura

How dare the Senate Majority leader publicly say he can't stand a United States Senator!!!

Whether he agrees or disagrees with John McCain, the people of Arizona elected him to represent them for 6 years. Many millions of people will want him to become the next president of the United States.

If nothing else....follow the old adage: "If you don't have something nice to say about someone, don't say anything".

Laura, Boston

August 21, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. Down with the DNC

CNN please post this.

Tim, Seattle said:

@ Down With the DNC who said : "Hillary is not McCain. Obama's position is Hillary's position.
    ———————-
    SO expalin to me again you worthless PUMA, if Hillary and Barack's positions are the same, then why are you voting for McCAin? You are getting tripped up in your own mis guided hatred.
    ————————-

I don't hate anyone. I never said I was voting McCain but I might as I do respect him. And someone else was right, you are the reason PUMA exists.

You really need to have some candy and relax before you have an anurism. My problem isn't with Obama; my problem is with nasty people like you and the corruption of the DNC. Just yesterday, Obama was looking for suggestions to make the primaries more fair. I agree with him.

Now, if only they made a laxitive that worked on your mouth…you constantly bash people on these blogs. Perhaps some therapy?

August 21, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  15. Scott

I AM ALWAYS IMPRESSED WITH HOW STUPID THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IS. THE REPUBLICANS AND JOHN MCCAIN PUBLISH LIES AND HIS RATINGS GO AFTER A DISASTEROUS EIGHT YEARS OF BUSH AND REPUBLICAN DOMINANCE. THEY ALSO OWN OUR COURT SYSTEM SUPRESSING WOMAN AND MINORITIES!

August 21, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. Marie

Hey Harry....Me Either!

I'm sick of the LIBERAL bashing. I'm proud to be a liberal and I'm proud to care about the rest of my country. Don't mess with this Liberal.

Remember people what the Bush/Cheney team did to oil prices. Imagine what the McLame/? team will do to your beer prices?

I cannot imagine that Cindy McCains stake in a beer empire will have any impact on your beer prices. Save Beer-Save America-Vote Obama!

August 21, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  17. Tired of W, OH

bobie, if you think McCain is a "good honest american", you haven't been paying attention, now have you?

By the way, liberals do not want to destroy America. The "conservatives" have already accomplished that task. It's up to the Democrats to rebuild it, now.

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. Alex Whitt

Agree with you, Mike of Syracuse. People talk about Bush's low rating and don't seem to ever mention that this wonderful (not really) Democratic Congress has a rating that is record setting for the LOWEST of any Congress!! If Pelosi and Reid would get voted out of office, Congress would be able to do more for America. Out with the Democrats, NO OBreak either. Youth for McCain!

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. Jon- Columbus, IN

Saying what the troops should not be doing is not bashing the troops, no matter how much whining and crying the Bush Administration and the Republican Party do.

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. DO-WE-CARE-?

Ask us if we care what Reid dislikes the man from the do-nothing

Democrats...acting desperate because they know that McCain is

the man America will choose as their next Prez..No..44

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::INDEPENDENT VOTING MCCAIN;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  21. BR

Keep opening your mouth Reid. People are starting to see the real caring dems you and the Messiah claim to be. You hate America and all those who don't agree with you

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Frank from Peterborough

I just watched a movie last night called "STOP LOSS". I am not sure if this movie portrayed any truth or was just a totally fictional account of how the U.S. treats it's military.

If by chance the theme of this film is factual and your government actually forces men and women back into fighting a war after they have served their agreed upon military service then all of America should be totally ashamed of their country and their Politicians.

If this how McCain managed to create his so-called surge and he was behind it then anyone who would support this type of maggot would have to be a thoughtless moron.

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Octogenarian

Reid, I share your sentiments. You are a brilliant man. You know emptiness when you hear it. Who knows McSane better than you. You've had to stomach him for far too many years.

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  24. Hillary supporter for McCain

Reid and Pelosi need to go... period.

August 21, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  25. Biffington, Biff

Mike in Syracuse...

Please DON'T forget to mention the RECORD number of filibusters by Republicans to MAKE SURE nothing of substance got done.

(so they could then use it as a campaign ploy)..

Nice... one party holds the whole country's agenda hostage, then blames the other party.

August 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |