August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. Jerry

Why is CNN jumping on McCain when he said he didnt realize how much he didnt like American until got hostage....This should be on every network McCain is not good for American

August 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Val from MA

I can't stand you Reid and your friend Pelosi. I can't wait until both of you are kicked out of your posts by the American people. Both of you have been a disaster to our great country.

August 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. Helen in Kansas

Mr. Reid's opinion on Sen. McCain just may be based on Sen. McCains negative campaigning and the lies that Sen. McCain seems to be professing when he know that they are lies.

One of the latest examples is when Pastor Rick Warren (at the beginning of their 'interview') asked Sen. McCain how the 'cone of silence' was. Sen. McCain COULD have been honest at that moment and spoke the truth. Seems small? Well these really are questions of Character.
    I am more interested in hearing what Sen. McCain's solutions are for the Economy, real solutions for gas prices (it is now known that 'drill here, drill now' will NOT impact current gas prices. So Sen. McCain give us some real information not all this negative stuff.

August 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. Black Person that is not for Obama or Racist

Bush bashing will not help the Democrats or anyone else.
    McCain bashing by a leading senator only helps McCain.

Reid is a mature adult, why would he choose these words?
    Democrats are quite pathetic.

August 21, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  5. J. Weidenbach

Many have complained about McCain having terrible temper tantrums, I agree, "does not have the right temperament" is a sign of personal immaturity and such a person should not be Commander-in Chief.

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. anonmouys

Eugene Caudill August 21st, 2008 2:12 pm ET

As a dem in fl.obama is bad for this country.So McCain gets my Vote

Leave Your Comment

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. CAROLYN

you folks better stop worrying about reid, and start thinking about your son's and daughters, did you noy hear sen mc cain say that he is for the draft?

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  8. Down with the DNC

"Jeff said:

Harry Reid and Pelosi have presided over the most do-nothing congress in modern history"

---------

Pelosi has done plenty. She told the Super Delegates how to vote and she threatened to 'step in' (whatever that means) to end the contests before all of the states had a chance to vote. She has an agenda – unfortunately it's not ours.

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  9. JB, Boston

McCain has a history of working across the aisle. Reid, does not. Reid is also responsible for a congress with the lowest approval ratings ever (lower than GWB), and truthfully they have done nothing while in control.

Nothing. . . . no arguments. I hope his home state remembers this when his term is up. Same w/ Pelosi.

I would be happy w/ insults from this yahoo!

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. JM

PUMA....................

OBAMA IS GOING DOWN..DOWN....DOWN..........McCAIN WILL WIN...WE NEED CLINTON AND OBAMA AS VP........................

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. TC, Fl

Name me anyone who can stand Reid, as well as that other barrel of laughs, Pelosi.

Get used to it, Senator, you'll be needing knee-pads after November.

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Moderate Democrat, New York

I can't stand Reid AND Pelosi! Spineless, the both of them!

August 21, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  13. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Confirmed, I can't stand McCain either because he is a liar and I hate a liar. McCain was asked about why he cheated on Carol he replied he doesn't know why he cheated or doesn't know how many homes he owns, but will check with his staff. McCain hasn't been held responsible for any of his actions and lies his whole life.

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  14. John in Binghamton NY

Eugene Caudill August 21st, 2008 2:12 pm ET

As a dem in fl.obama is bad for this country.So McCain gets my Vote
    --------------
    Why do you give a real reason other than some baseless right win smear??

Isn't FL the state that can't ever get voting right? Didn't you guys vote Bush twice?

FL is bad for this country and so are people like you!!!

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  15. Biffington, Biff

Come on guys...

I DARE any one of you republicans to talk about the documented STRATEGY of filibustering EVERYTHING...

let's hear the spin on the record number of filibusters!

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. bernj

Joe Lieberman's vote IS NOT a good vote. On anything. Anytime.

That is the problem with Reid and may other old line democrats. They need to get some you know whats from somewhere. Joe Lieberman should be ignored by every democrat in the country, including those in congress. If he votes "our way" then fine. If he does not, then to hades with him.

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. What?

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, for once a honesty person that should know McCain by his 26 years of experience in the Senate. Reid, we understand. I would love to read your book one day.

CNN you closed to soon again..................Obama-takes-swipe-at-McCain-over-houses. “Somebody asked John McCain, 'how many houses do you have?' and he said, 'I'm not sure, I’ll have to check with my staff,'” said Obama at a Thursday morning campaign stop. “True quote! 'I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff.' So they asked his staff and he said, 'at least four.' 'At least four.'…………..Ask anyone that lives beneath his “rich” 3 million a year voter, not voters because 98% of us has and will never make that kind of yearly salary. When it comes to knowing how many homes we own….no thinking to do…it would be 1 house or was 1 house until foreclosure reprocessed it because of senators like McCain that voted 95% of the time with Bush policies and agenda’s. They still have many homes, millions, health care, jobs and vehicles to switch everyday with a chauffeur to drive.

NOMcBush is just wrong for America, We are no longer fools by his memory loss. How many of us can't remember how many homes, cars, land and VOTES with Bush we can't remember?

Obama 08

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. Dan

If Reid hates you, that would be a compliment to me!

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. Belle2

Who cares! I doubt McCain likes Reid.

August 21, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Tex Ann

Whewww.... I'm thinking they're not on each others Christmas card list.

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. Bobby from MS

How funny. This from a man who said we had lost the war in Iraq. Typical liberal slim.

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Will in Seattle

By temperment, Sen Reid means that Sen McCain explodes – as old people with mild problems frequently do, at the littlest things in a fit of red-faced rage.

Just in case nobody knew what CNN was saying ...

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Kevin

Mr. Reid is the answer to Republican prayers. If democrats desire victory they should put a muzzle on this chihuahua.

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. millioner lady

reid pelosi their IQ just like size their shoes extreem liberal jerk love pedophile care about criminal illegal alien to make big bucks

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. Jim

Doesn't Reid speak for most liberal democrats. They don't have the intestinal fortitude to create a team atmosphere and do what is right for the country as a whole. They'd rather bicker and fight amongst themselves, as our Democrat controlled Congress has done the past
    two years. More concerned about diluting our tax base with give away programs to second and third generation welfare receipients.

August 21, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |