August 21st, 2008

Reid: 'I can't stand McCain'

Reid had some tough words about McCain.
Reid had some tough words about McCain.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and John McCain have never exactly enjoyed a close relationship, but the Democratic leader was exceedingly blunt Wednesday in his assessment of his colleague from Arizona.

"I can't stand John McCain," Reid flatly told his hometown paper, the Las Vegas Review Journal in comments published Thursday. The Nevada Democrat also said he had recently expressed that sentiment to Democrat-turned Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, an ardent supporter of McCain who has agreed to speak at the Republican convention early next month.

"He (Lieberman) said 'I know you feel that way,'" Reid also told the paper.

The top Senate Democrat also said McCain is wrong on a host of issues and "does not have the right temperament" to be commander-in-chief.

McCain, who has long highlighted his willingness to work with Democrats across the aisle, was slightly more gracious towards Reid in an interview with Politico Wednesday detailing his pledge as president to work with congressional Democrats.

"I [will] go to see the speaker of the House and the majority leader of the Senate — I assume that that would be Sen. Reid, I hope not, but I think that’s probably the reality of this election — and I would say, 'Let’s have an agenda, let’s work together," he told the publication.

Meanwhile, when it comes to Joe Lieberman's role in the Senate next year, Reid suggested he would welcome him back to the Democratic caucus.

"All my close votes, he's always with me, whether it's the budget or energy issues," he said of Lieberman. "No matter what it is, he's always with us. He just does not vote right on Iraq. ... Why would I want to throw away a good vote?"

Filed under: Harry Reid • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

August 21st, 2008 2:12 pm ET

"As a dem in fl.obama is bad for this country.So McCain gets my Vote"
    -------------------------–

Well, thank you for sharing. That's one for McCain (I'm in charge of counting).

That vote counts; there is no need for you to show up at your polling place on Election Day, November 10.

Thank you.

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Chris

good call Eugene

and senator reid that's quite alright. America can't stand you and and Palosi either.

On another note, Joe Lieberman deserves credit for the ballsy answer of, "I know you feel that way"
    That probably shut Reid up lol

McCain 08

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Above My Pay Grade, Too!

TO Mike, Syracuse, NY,

You say the same thing on every post whenever someone speaks the truth about John McCain. Your first response is generally "why would anyone's (fill in name) opinion matter?" Everyone can't be lying about McCain's temperment and his inability to be an effective commander-in-chief, not to mention that he hardly has a "record" of bipartisanship, as you so incorrectly claim. He's voted with Dubya 95% of the time!! Nothing bipartisanship there! And, we won't even get started on John McCain's dentures, the lifts in his shoes to make him appear taller, the worst comb-over of anyone walking the earth (with the exception of the "Donald", in which case it's a tie), and the fact that he calls his wife Cindy disgusting names. I think he probably fractured her wrist in his anger last week and not some supporter shaking her hand, and it was probably over some negative news article about him, stating the truth that he's just a mean and deceitful clone of George Bush!!!

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  4. Election Watcher

Tacky and very unprofessional. This is an elected official speaking, not a member of the popularity committe at the High School dance.

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Leta

So Mr. Reid I suppose that this means you are all for the Diamond Sumggling durring the Democratic National Convention. Were you sitting right beside Hillary Rodham Clinton or Al Gore on the Del Rio, Texas USA side of the fence as the Diamonds went accross the border in to Mexico on October 15, 1994? I belive the Raddison Hotel held the Democratic Convention that year......Or did you choose to drive one of the General Electric BIG RIGS to see the Diamonds were dropped off personally for Al, Hillary and Bill.......Don't worry Hillary works both sides you can see this in the way she fights for Bill and Al....Al well, she just chooses to remain more silent theres a lot of baggage there.......

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Helen in Kansas

Demo.in Florida. What do you base "bad" on? I think 'Bad' is 4 more years of what we have had 8 of. Look at the economy, look at housing, education, energy. Look at the lies and manipulation of our Department of Justice. Look at what Could happen to the Supreme Court and you think that McCain would be 'good' for our country?

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  7. PAW, CA

I know Harry Reid and doubt very much he was doing anything other than speaking candidly to his hometown newspaper.....McCain does indeed have bigger problems than Reid not liking him.....believe this, there are many in the Senate that feel the same way about McCain...

I always have to laugh at those who comment that Obama would be bad for America, or that liberals want to destroy this country.....maybe they have been asleep for the last 7+ years, but take a look around now that you're awake enough to type.....the country that Bill Clinton (Democrat) left in good shape has been decimated by GW (Republican).....case closed

Obama '08

August 21, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. David

Well I don't know who can stand Harry Reid. His name can never be linked with the word "ethics".

August 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  9. McCain Will Never Be Ready

McCain's temperament IS an issue. If he can't get along with HIS OWN party, can't work well with Democrats to achieve mutual goals, can't work well diplomatically with international interests, can't negotiate well with trade issues, can't understand how most of America is hurting from this severe economic downturn, and can't work towards a peaceful, growing America, –

THEN WHAT GOOD IS HE?

August 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. therealist

Partisan politics, at its worse. I sure hope Harry and Nancy enjoyed their vacations..

August 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. Proud to be American

I can't stand McCain.... definately can't stand him as our President ... look one would have thought that with all the checks and balances (one thought) in America that a President could not screw up the country as the Judicial and legistrator offices would not have that .... Well that is not the case at all... one must state as Bush threw that theory out the door... folks wake up.... American can not sustain another repug in the office....

Obama & his choice of VP 08

August 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  12. Teresa

It really doesn't matter what McCain does or how anyone feels about him because depending on who Obama picks for a VP he lose half of his potential voters. Sounds like a destined loser.

August 21, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. Angel

To CNN:

Lets have a discussion on real news –where is your headline on John McCain being in favor or reinstituting the draft for our kids to fight his wars–CNN this is news. Our children needs to know what they are voting for not how many times Obama sneezes. Disgraceful.

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  14. Sharon Kitchen

Tell it Reid.........No McWar.

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  15. Monica, Ca

I can't stand McCain either, but I'm not the one who has to work with him. Reid was a little harsh and should realize that congress has to work together to get things done. I think Hillary would be great for the Majority Leader position. Hopefully congress will get it together.

Obama '08

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Dan

I can't stand McCain either.

It doesn't help when the man can't recall how many homes he owns and doesn't know the difference between Sunni and Shi'a Islam.

Yeah, he's ready to be commander in chief. It's just laughable and too many gullible Americans are buying into his crap.

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Octogenarian

It appears that cheaters, liars,oppotunitst and dummies are the most admired. Maybe because they have the same IQ. This is a man who cheated on his sick wife and he has the judgement, character, morals to be a leader. That's not how smart Americans get down.

South Orange

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  18. Stop playing the "POW" CARD!

US AND IRAQ CLOSE ON DEAL FOR TROOPS TO LEAVE IRAQ--GOAL JUNE 30, 2009. YEAH, YOU KNOW THAT TIME- TABLE OBAMA WANTED. LET'S SEE HOW MCCAIN WILL SPIN THIS. OH I KNOW. BACK TO "THE SURGE WORKED' THAT'S WHY WE ARE ABLE TO LEAVE " THE SURGE WORKED". BUT YOU SAID "OBAMA WOULD RATHER LOSE A WAR TO WIN AN ELECTION". JUDGEMENT MATTERS--------–OBAMA 08!!!

August 21, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  19. to proud navy mom

All of these "McWar" and other name reference by you and others proves a point.

Is that all you can say?

I'm voting for neither because they don't deserve the honor. Yet, all I have seen from your pathetic posts is that you see things as 2 issues, like the side of the coin.

August 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. deroy

harry is a well known creep and a draft dodger.
    he ditched the military.
    harry is a MORMON.

August 21, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. kcmookie

What is this, a politician speaking honestly? I don't know that I have ever heard of such a thing....

August 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  22. Chris

Smart stance on Joe Lieberman by Reid. I don't like the guy that much, but, hey, a Senate seat is a Senate seat. We can kick him out in four years, but until then let's make sure he doesn't have any reason to endorse more Republicans.

August 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. soy

I can't either. I knew we had more in common than just being liberal lol

August 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. Kenneth F.

That is no way to talk about an war hero. If you dont like his policies call him out on them.

August 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. Mccain=Warmonger

you i hate is guts and his botox fake barbie wife

August 21, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |