August 22nd, 2008

Disclosure reports show Clinton still deeply in debt

Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.
Clinton is still carrying a sizeable campaign debt.

(CNN) - Well over two months have passed since Hillary Clinton formally abandoned her White House bid, but newly-released Federal Election Commission reports show the New York senator has made little headway in paying off her sizeable campaign debt.

According to an FEC report filed Wednesday, Clinton's debt as of the end of July stood at just under $24 million - a decrease of only $1.2 million since the end of June. More than $13 million of that total is owed to the New York senator herself, while close to $11 million is owed to individual vendors. Clinton has suggested she is not seeking to pay back the money she owes herself.

The report also shows Clinton was only able to raise $2 million in the month of July - down from close to $3 million in June. By comparison, Barack Obama raised over $50 million for his White House bid in the same time period.

The report comes as some high-profile Clinton backers have expressed disappointment Obama has not made more of an effort to help his onetime rival retire her campaign debt.

“He has provided her with a pittance compared to what the Clintons have given Obama,” prominent Clinton backer Lynn Forrester told the Times of London. “Her debt could have been cleared within 10 days. It’s ungracious.”

Obama and Clinton have appeared at a handful of joint fundraising events, and the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee has publicly urged his supporters to donate to his former primary season rival - though at a joint appearance with Clinton at a July fundraiser, the Illinois senator forgot to call on his backers to contribute to her. (He later went back on stage to correct himself.)

According to Clinton's disclosure forms filed Thursday, she owes the most ($5.2 million) to her former top advisor Mark Penn's polling/political consulting firm, Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates.

1. BOB

Why should anyone but Clinton worry about her debt? She and Bill got rich on all you little people. Don't you get it? They don't care about you. The Clintons are gone. They won't be back in 2012. It's OVER!!!!!!! Thank God they are Gone.

August 22, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. Mark

Forgive me for laughing out loud that a "prominent Clinton backer" is calling Obama "ungracious". That is really rich. Here is a candidate (Clinton) who spent the last several months of her campaign trying to tear Obama down and smear his name in any way possible. They threw the kitchen sink at him, despite the fact that the rest of the Democratic party was vocally uncomfortable and worried that she might be causing permanent damage to the eventual (and at the time, increasingly inevitable) nominee. In fact, the Clinton campaign was "gracious" enough to write the playbook for the Republicans, and they are still sticking to her script. If you ask me, Obama has been exceedingly gracious with Clinton. He has given her a prime speaking slot at the convention, and he has said all sorts of nice things about her. Even when the campaing was at its nastiest phase, Obama steered clear of launching verbal attacks on Clinton's character, though she was not returning the favor. Did Obama ever call her out for lying about sniper fire in Bosnia? No, he didn't. he was taking the high road and being GRACIOUS.

When it comes to money, Obama and the Democrats need all the money they can get to beat the Republican smear machine (thanks again Hill). Personally, I could care less about Clinton's debt. I do feel sorry for the saps who trusted her and will never get the money she owes them. As for her PUMAs, I have never seen such a sorry bunch of whining sore losers in my life. These are supposed to be adults if they are of voting age... I hope none of them really values their right to reproductive choice.

August 22, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. rs

if her 18 million supporters love her that much, why won't they donate $1 each?

August 22, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  4. linda from South Dakota

poor poor hillary,, fianlly has debts,,, but then what about all the monies that are stashed somewhere?? clitons expect to be bailed out?? lol, hahaha,, guess you over-spent huh hillary?? pay up or shut up,, obama08 and beyond

August 22, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. Proud to be American

So I do not care about her debt.... so what....

Ask me if I care..... please ask me if I care...... Hey are you asking????

I use to love the Clinton's but if Obama loses I will blame the Billary and will never cast my vote for a Clinton again.....

Hey is anyone going to ask if I care about her debt????

August 22, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Helen, NY

Hillary was the great candidate but all her supporters will line up behind John McCain. Why should we support Barack who has no experience. We cannot give our great nation in raw hands. Vote John McCain. This is the only choice we have now.

August 22, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  7. Fletcher Crossman

What was she doing even getting this far into debt in the first place? Haven't we seen with Bush what it's like to have a president who doesn't know how to balance the books? She spent money she didn't have on a campaign that was already lost, and now she thinks her opponent – "the biggest fairy-tale ever" – should be working towards paying off the debt she chose to create?

Obama's focus should be on raising money to win the White House. The Clinton era is over.

August 22, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. Tony

Do I think Hillary should be RE_PAID by supporters- NO WAY!

However, NOBAMA asked others to help and they have not. What does that say about the party unity to heal wounds and move on. Or maybe NOBAMA does not have the ability persuade other to jump on board........

Either way, Hillary wanted it bad enough to use her own money and therefore others should not have to REPAY her for her loyalty to the party.

August 22, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. JinNC

As an Obama supporter, when Hillary stops referring to Obama as "my opponent", I'll contribute to her debt. Until then, why would I or why should I?

August 22, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. BK

MIke
    your comment is why I will never vote for the messiah. If Obama loses its his fault and no one elses. He is arrogant and inexperienced. This country is in too much trouble to ever trust it to someone that does not have a clue how to run it.

August 22, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  11. William Spivey

You made the debt, now pay it.

August 22, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. A Trader

Simple solution – invest a million in cattle futures.

August 22, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. James Andrews

Come on. I am tired of this beggin her supporters to get with it. They don't want McCain, they just want to keep their "cause" alive. She lost. That's the end of the story and these voters will all vote for Obama in the end. It's just the media that keeps this going, her voters wont vote for McCain, we only have one choice and Change is coming to America. Quit pretending the bigots still rule in America. If Obama gets this stolen the people of color in this country will really show you how to Recreate 68.

August 22, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. BillyBob

Andy Dem in DR via CA & NY

You claim that hiTlary clinton has done so much for Children. Please give us a couple of examples of all that thunder thighs has done for children.

August 22, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Tim

Let me see if I have this straight...

Hillary runs campaign. Spends lots of money, piles up lots of bills in the process, yet wants someone else to pay for it (the fact that her FEC report alleges enough money on hand to retire the debt).

And she'd like to claim that this:

a – not socialist; and
    b – not elitist.

Sounds like both to me. And exactly how'd she would've run the country. "I have all these ideas I want YOU [through taxes] to pay for".

Hillary – pay your OWN bills.

August 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  16. Ken

I have an idea for Hilary. Why don't you get your fat ar..e back to New York and try acting like a senator. Your first words when you got the job were " I will serve my full term and not leave to seek the presidential nomination" This past year you have been in NY exactly 19 hours. BTW what have you ever done for NY? Where are all the jobs you promised? I would love to see a female elected president of the US but she has to have good character and be honest. Someone like Margarate Thatcher but not the kind of person we find in Bill's wife.

August 22, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  17. Dee

Whine, whine, whine, whine.... poor pitiful Hillary... whine, whine, whine....

August 22, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |