August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Can we please elect an intelligent person !

I see the waiting is getting to some. For those having fun with it ... you are smart!

August 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. Olivia

Hold your breath.......hold.....don't breathe,it's coming.....hold .....hold...don't breathe.................

You just killed me, dude!
    Take your vp hype and shove it, obama
    You ARRIVED........is this vp announcement supposed to be like a kind of second coming?

August 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Steve

I am a lifelong Democrat and I will most likely vote for Obama in November (I did vote for Clinton in my state's primary). I would NEVER vote for McCain or any other Republican, unless maybe if Millicent Fenwick was brought back from the dead. I could possibly vote for Nadar or just stay home this time. But when all is said and done I'll vote for Obama. But, I'm finding so much about the Obama campaign to be gimmicky and annoying, including this whole VP waiting game leading to the most awaited text message in American history. Enough already, Senator Obama! Just pick someone and get on with the campaign. Oh, and stop pandering to the religious right. They are either going to vote Republican or stay home. THEY WILL NOT VOTE DEMOCRATIC! You only risk alienating potential real voters by shoving your Christian faith down all our throats.

August 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. C

And why do you all figure it's the Republicans doing this? I'm thinking it's the Democrats trying to keep the suspense going & the benefit is that the Republicans will get the blame. Let him make his announcement in his own time because that's what's going to happen anyway! The media has turned this whole election into a circus! And it sure didn't help that Hillary (& others) started campaigning 2 years ago!

August 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. Joe in NJ

I got the official email!

It's Dan Quayle!

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Anonymous

I heard on local NPR station if you type obamanelson into browser it directs you to obama website – which it does. not sure if that's a hoax too - or just more nothing..

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Mike

I love that Obama is holding us in suspense!

My theory is that he's waiting until the end of the day so Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and the rest can't trash the VP pick on their shows.

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Independent

This is really starting to piss me off...and should piss off other voters as well. If he knows who his VP is, shouldn't he tell the voters asap instead of playing these stupid games. He's obviously notifying us by text to rub McCain's technological short-comings in his face, but in the end, this is just making Obama look immature and attention-hungry.

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. Silence Dogood

This is preview of his presidiency. Without a strong leader with a clear message, who will be pulling the strings?

For Bush, it was Cheney. Who will pull Obama's strings? Right now we see it is pranksters and the media, but someday the game is over. I don't want someone to play the President. Again, that is the way a celebritiy looks at life.

Keep playing around with people and they will see you for who you are.

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Greg Burdett

I can't seriously believe that people are criticizing Obama for generating all the media attention. I agree with John McCain, that the "24 hour cable news monster" is to blame for this sort of thing. Is Obama inviting the media to camp outside his house? Maybe Obama has a few other things to do aside from being concerned about whether the announcement will fit in with everybodies personal schedule.

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Matt

He needs to hurry up and announce his running mate before the evening news in order for this to be effective. Most Americans do not watch the news on the weekends – especially not this weekend because of the olympics and the closing ceremonies of the olympics. He should've send the message out shortly after noon...

August 22, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. Barbara Wallace

WIN With Hillary!

August 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Donald G Kosin

The imposter knows no bounds! He signs me up for HRC and gay cruise lines all the time! I wonder how he knows me so well?!

August 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Donkey Party

Wow, what a bunch of haters. Obama said he'd make the announcement on Saturday, but the media has all you goons frothing at the mouth for something today. Blame the media you simpletons, you scared little sheep believe everything they say anyways.

August 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Marie

I'm still hoping for COLIN POWELL!

August 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  16. Obama Supporter

I just love. Keep them guessing,

Obama 08

August 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  17. trudy

cnn you are playing with People s Mind ,at isent Funny . you want to put at on Obama playing Games . its you an the Media playing nothing but Games . all you want to do is run Obama in the Ground , he will be auer next President , for once , its someone decent

August 22, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Anne

Enough already! How arrogant IS he?
    Just announce the freaking name, ok?

August 22, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. Tony

Obama needs to stop acting like a 16 year old schoolgirl with a secret. I'm losing more adn more respect for him as the days go by. I may just sit this election out and let the chips fall where they may.

Grow up Barack.

August 22, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  20. c-span junkie

this is going tobe a Huge letdown, the Dem's will be say "and thats it" tonight and on 11/4 at 11:30 ET, they will be saying AND THATS IT!!!! We lost because he was supposed tobe a breath of fresh air and turned out to be a bag of wind.

HILLARY 2012 get prepaired for a true change we needed now thats a change this ol boy can have faith in ;-)

August 22, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  21. Trevor Guerlain

So like Britney and Paris to send text messages......Oh, and he'll announce to the "whole world".....is he now running for World President? Obama: Not Fit to Lead.

Go, John, Go!

August 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

The real e-mail will have the subject line.

"Over the Hill"

August 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  23. Sarah

@ Vegas, Bill from Florida, Election Watcher, Toot, and others...

The fake-out texts and emails aren't originating from Obama's campaign. Quit trying to twist the information in order to make it reflect poorly on him.

August 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. INDEPENDENT NOW

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA. THE PIC BELOW AT BIDENS HOUSE LOOKS LIKE THE PAPARAZZI AWAITING BRITNEY SPEARS. WE ARE OVER IT OBAMA. GROW UP!

August 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  25. Angel

Someone needs to tell Obama that this is not a game! Kids text, not adults!!!!!!! No matter who he "texts" McCain gets my vote. I will not vote for a "child"!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |