August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Beth

IT BETTER BE HILLARY.

It's getting pretty old at this point. Just announce it and get it over wtih. Makes me like him even less.

August 22, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. LaToya, TN

It doesn't matter how long it takes Obama to announce his running mate . . . we shouldn't be the judges of it. We should actually grow up and get a life and stop allowing the media to dictate our lives and decision making process. Either you support him or you don't . . . there's no gray areas.

August 22, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. Travis

WOW....just got my email......It's Joe Biden....awesome.....YES

August 22, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Ralph

Is there evidence that the text actually came from Obama?

This has childish right wing prank written all over it.

August 22, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  5. Barbara - NC

Come on people – anyone that thinks this is grade school or high school, lean back, have a martini (or whatever), get your blood pressure off the ceiling and just relax. Yelling and griping will not make it happen. Threatening to switch your vote won't make it happen.

Grow up !!

August 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. old boy

This guy is SO in love with himself there can only be ONE VP ticket.
    Obama picks himself.

Obama/Obama is the democratic Ticket.

LOL at this joker

August 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Marc PDX

My bet is that Obama's first choice is Kaine. I'm not sure Kaine wants the job though. Second choice, my guess is Biden, who is interested in the job. So I think it'll be Biden.

I don't think it has any chance of being Hillary. Hillary (and Bill) scares Obama too much. He'd be upstaged in Washington by the Clintons, who have lots of connections to politicians and key supporters. Obama really doesn't. So he'd be at a disadvantage and I think he knows this very well. So no Hillary. Heck, Obama didn't even help her retire her debt as he promised.

Biden.

August 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. JIM CO

Poor news media nobodys told them yet. The tabloid cnn and fox are crying the blues because they may have to work this weekend to get the news second hand. The Democrats unlike the little Rebublicans can keep a secret for party unity. GO OBAMA GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope the ELITE John is having a great time this weekend. Lets see how many days off he gets when he gets further behind.

August 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. Roberta

Is Obama running for President of the United States, or President of the student council? It's hard to tell with his juvenile and extremely unpresidential behavior. I hope it's President of the student council. I would hate to think that such an infantile JUNIOR senator would be allowed anywhere near the White House.

August 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. Elly

its likely the low down republicans sending the hoaxes out!!
    I hope its someone like hillary or Biden
    last night on larry kings home page on the poll
    hillary got 57%
    the rest got 3% and biden got 17%
    So alot of people are for Hillary and next Biden

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Marie

People ask yourself the question, who is drumming this beat, Obama or the media? He clearly said he would tell people via e-mail and/or text message when he is ready to announce. So, what's the problem? Whomever he chooses is alright with me.

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. Dennis Philadelphia

BLOOMBERG it is!!!!!!

OBAMA/BLOOMBERG 08!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. Gail AL.

E-mailing his V.P. choice is a bad idea, whatever were they thinking. Goes to show you what kind of judgement he has. If Hillary is not on the ticket MCcain will beat him. For the domocrates, all roads to the whitehouse are through the Clinton's. He's not got the judgement, or expericence, to do the job. Hillary's a fighter, she can get it done, to bad the party threw her under the bus, serves them right to get beat. I'll vote for MCcain.

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. KenB, MI

Chet would be a nice choice from the south...doesn't look like he can growl with finesse...Bayh looks like he may stumble if pressured by the media...Biden is good but might feel a little pressed to play old guard from time to time hmmmm Kaine who...

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. Liz

I think this is becoming pathetic now. Obama and his campaign people are acting very immature. Time to grow up!!! This shows that he is not ready to be a serious candidate who should be elected president. Does he think that we are in kindergarden? Please grow up or shut up.

Clinton should be the nominee and let Obama go back to his childish games in the senate.

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Tex Ann

If Obama would grow up and quit playing "I've Got a Secret" and just make the stupid announcement, then no one would have to worry about "fake announcements". But no, he thinks he's cute & cool by playing his silly childish guessing game.

Let me tell you, if it's Chet Edwards from Texas, than I can officially declare Obama brain dead. If he thinks Chet Edwards is going to garner him all the Texas electoral votes, he's living in a dreamland. Nobody outside Edwards' district has a clue who he is- and let's face it, Texas is not exactly a blue state. Besides, hasn't America had enough of a 'Texan in the White House'?? We didn't exactly make ourselves proud with the nitwit that's been up there the last 8 years. I'm a 5th generation Texan, I can say that. :-)

August 22, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Chris

I wonder who is more excited and waiting with baited breath ..
    the media .. or the cult that follows this messiah ???

This man is a joke as are his followers .. wake up people it is not too late, the emperor is not wearing any clothes !!

Mccain '08
    HRC '12

August 22, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  18. dennis from chicago

is THIS ANYWAY TO run A COUNTRY..... a cat and mouse game for the highest office in the UNITED STATES........TRUE CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE.........O B A M BA MAN UPPPP LET IT goooo it's time for YOU TO LOSEEEEEE... no more excuses for your LACK OF JUDGMENT... to say the least LEADERSHIP SKILLS.....FROM 10 debates to the required 3.........how's that book going.....is it bound in WEDGEWOOD BLUE/?

August 22, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. spikeaus

I wish these candidates would wait till the convention like they used to before Clinton and Bush... Anyway, Hillary is the only shortlister (other than Caroline Kennedy) who has a Secret Service detail in attendance. The VP nominee, once notified, always has Secret Service in attendance from the moment they are told. Find who has the Secret Service detail at their house and you'll find out who the VP is on the short list. If it's Hillary or Caroline, then you won't notice any difference in their security situation since it's already in place.

August 22, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. AntiBrenda

Look at some comments from idiots. Some are blaiming Obama for it.
    How stupid can one get? Are they suggesting its Obama actually sending these emails? Wake up BillfromFlorida and the likes.

Looks like you would blaim the man for everything including when you dont win a scratch lottery ticket prize. Get a real!!!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. Paul

The Media should be covering policy positions and not playing Fantasy Football with VP possibilities.

It's easier/cheaper to have an opinion than to report/analyze.

August 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Chad, Wisco

Anyone else just getting a little beyond annoyed at all this fuss? Seriously he is trying to say he is not like a celebrity but this is something straight out of the Brittany or Paris play book.

August 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. Rachel

I'm anxious too, but I understand the game. He has to play defensively! If he announces too early, the media will be all over the VP and so will the repubs. Do what you have to do Obama! I trust your judgment.

August 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Barbara - NC

The RNC is already running ANTI-Biden ads – ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

August 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. vicky

This is for those of you who are fed up with waiting for Obama to Make his VP announcement. Don't blame him for all this hoopla, blame the media. They just can't stop talking about it. After all they do need to fill in broadcasting time. I haven't heard McCain make his big announcement so how is that any different. Do what I have done, shut off the TV. Isn't the silence great?

CNN do post this as you don't seem to like my comments.

August 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |