August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JD FROM NEW YORK

DARN EVERYTHING OBAMA DOES IS ALWAYS UNDER AN MICROSCOPE....GIVE IT A REST YOU HATERS.....

YOU PEOPLE SOUND JUST LIKE A BUNCH OF BIGOTS....

LAST TIME I CHECKED...THIS IS AMERICA OR IS IT?

August 22, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. John

Clinton and her pumas stop whinig!!

August 22, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  3. NH for Obama

i notice all the people who are angry about this are women....ITS NOT HILLARY!!!! GET OVER IT!

August 22, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  4. jj

Just like Obama to pull a stunt like this, na na na na, I know a secret and I'm not telling until I want to, so there. OH boy and we want him for president. This was one of his dumbest moves yet, and makes you cringe at what else is to come. He just made up my mind. Was undecided before.

August 22, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. mike in virginia

"Politics-as-show business," ...the latest step in the trivialization of the electoral process,.. will not solve any of our pressing problems, and the political industry, media included, knows it. A better Senate, House, DoJ and Executive could be selected by randomly flipping through the phone book.

August 22, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  6. rich

Beth
    yer a sore loser. just get over it.

August 22, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  7. Joe

He could have ended all this speculation over the past two weeks if he did what McCain has done. Tell the public, in advance, the day you plan on announcing your choice of VP. That way the media would not be outside his house or Bidens or whomever elses all day today. I'm getting annoyed by Obama's self interest in this campaign and am beginning to feel like it's all about him. I thought the rumors of him being arrogant and cocky were just that but after this performance I think he might be just those things afterall.

August 22, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. WILLIAM BREIMAYER

If not Hillary I feel i'm voting for McCAIN.

August 22, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. the other jd

I just love how we are all experts on exactly what Barack should do and when he should do it. How's about letting the man run his campaign the way he thinks he should without all the arm-chair quarterbacking?

August 22, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. c

"Independent," candidates traditionally announced only at the convention. The text thing is a gimmick, sure - I'm a long-time Obama supporter and haven't signed up for the msg. But who gives a monkey's? You'll know in plenty of time before casting your ballot, right? Go get some work done.

I think the pranking is great, though if you're gonna go to the trouble, make it more interesting.

August 22, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. Perusing-through

Ah man! That is cold.

Based on the address read in the article, it looks like a fake address. I don't remember Obama team ever using an "AOL" domain name.

August 22, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Janet- New York

Waiting patiently and knowing that whoever it is will be up to Senator Obama's standing and that is good enough for me!!! Two COMPETENT leaders leading our country in a more positive direction! New leaders, new beginnings!
    OBAMA- 2008!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Ronnie, Atlanta, GA

Do you fools actually beleive he sent these? What is wrong with your feeble brains? I guess that shows us whos a McCain supporter, can't even read a story and understand it.

August 22, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. aware

Much ado about nothing! Barack Obama is going to lose!

John McCain 2008 and Hillary Clinton 2012! :)

August 22, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  15. anonmouys

are the pumas going to annoy obama untill his pick is clinton

August 22, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Paul

Oh no, not fake announcements to go with the faux candidate with the faux experience. Is nothing sacred??? Too funny!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. Chris

Whiners,

Stay home please. People like you are why we still have an electoral college system.

August 22, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Scott L

@Anonymous

Man thanks for the laugh, that was hilarious...I love how he is pointing to the Riddler as well...

August 22, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  19. Christa

How many of you hope the pundits will gnaw their own tongues off before this is all over? It would give us all some blessed peace!

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. NOBAMA

Oh my god, this whole VP thing is an absolute joke! But that's the way Obama has been treating this whole election. He's treating this whole thing like some high school gossip.

But I can guarantee there will be Obama supporters who spin this and say, "He's so youthful", "he's just in touch with the people". I can't stand everything that Obama is.

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. Karen - Missouri

I've seen conventions in the past where the VP wasn't named until the convention. So the only ones with the "suspense" are those in the media and "we the people" who are trying to rush things. Chill

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. NOBAMA

stop acting childish, otherwise it will become the biggest joke in campaign history.

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  23. Anne

Not really fond of being manipulated like this.
    This waiting thing is really hurting his appeal with me.
    Sorry to say, but if it's not Hillary, he's not going to be elected.

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. RSP

Playing coy with his choice is an ego move for Obama. The media has him so convinced he is "The One", that he truly believes that we wait anxiously for anything that comes out of his mouth. He really believes he's got everyone fooled, and he's enjoying his celebrity. The media and his supporters who adore him have created this! It's insane!

August 22, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  25. Patty

Gee to read some of these blogs you would think email is something new – let alone notifying people that way of who is the pick for VP. This is a circus – what a joke.

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |