August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Duncan

Ummm...you are saying Obama realy sent that email??? From a AOL address (they even exist anymore)????

My guess is that is not the case....

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. Kevin

John McCain is also going to announce his VP, by telegraph.

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. TruthSpeaksTruth

Why are some of the commenters saying the Obama Campaign is childish? He's not the one who sent the e-mail. At least read the story carefully enough to comment on it.

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. BJ, Texas

Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha, Ha

So much for NObama and his tech savy. Who's going to believe it when the real text comes? What an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. Dee Reybold

Is this how Obama plans to run the government.......through e-mail?
    The Pres is too important a responsibility to leave open over the
    internet. Think, Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Joanne Jameson

His game playing shows us what type of a President Obama will make.....we need a grownup folks.
    He will work for us, and he's another showman.
    Joanne J
    Denver CO

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. Ben - Portland, Or

And since you all seem to lack the ability to read between the lines, I'll spell it out for you:

It's not the Obama people sending out these messages. They're FAKE. It's some other group of people. Probably people who want to damage his reputation... hmmmmmm.

PUMAs, maybe?

August 22, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Raf

I don't know if I want to vote for him or anyone. Now with these guessing games. You have to wait, even though I have made my decision; because I said so. Lets postpone this announcment. Sounds like a parent or a lawyer, not a future president.
    A real exeuctive does not have time to wait, if he wants to be the executive leader of the nation he needs to act like one.

August 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. Jame

Hate to break it to Obama.

But the people in VA don't like Gov. Tim Kaine.
    All he does is raise taxes and send it to Transportation projects that never get finished.

Not to mention his delightful cutting of the Education Budget.

I most likely going to vote for Obama; but if he has Tim Kaine as his running mate, I am voting for McCain.

August 22, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. McCrazy

Q: How do you come off less arrogant?

A:

August 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. Sounds about right to me...

Well...what else is new. This guys first fake announcement came out awhile back...saying he was going to run for President. True substance is a rare commodity here...Obama is all glitz and whiz..

August 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. enoch needles

It ain't Hillary!!

Get over it !!!!

Grow up!!!!!!

What colossal lamoids.

August 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Lobot

I love that so many people lose sleep over the announcement. I also find it quite interesting that being told that the decision has been made means everyone should know who the VP is going to be immediately. Let me clue you in, it's not going to be anyone posting here so maybe relax.

I honestly think the majority of people chomping at the bit are just looking for something new to focus their trolling on. As soon as the VP is announced everyone can take a deep breath and move on to the next silly issue.

Maybe we will find out that Obama or McCain has a peanut allergy and reflect on the possibility that they aren't in touch with the majority of the population that can eat peanuts.

August 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

To "old boy":

If you feel Obama's a joke, I can only imagine what a clear thinker like you has to say about fearless, Jet-Pilot, who's keeping the White House secure for Obama come January!

August 22, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. Mikel

Half the people commenting think Obama is the one that sent out the messages....... I fear for our country. There are so many idiots. CNN knows this and is chipping away at Obama with their weirdly worded headlines (seriously, look at them sometimes, they are skewed to make mccain look better). Even worse, they have Glenn Beck subtly steering away independent support by being "down to earth" and tricking people. Conservatives have really made me sick. I guess at the rallies they'll be chanting "4 more years!" again... look at how that turned out...

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. Lesley

The Obama campaign should have known that something like this would happen. I agree that he should have said when he will announce. This makes him look ridiculous. Obama should run his campaign the way he had been running it when he was ahead of the game and not try to play games. The campaign is just not as good at it as the Rove/McCain team. They are going to rain in his parade in Denver too.

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Jerry

Hey, I just got the text message–it's Paris Hilton!!

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  18. Jake Carlson

How did a clown like Obama ever become a Candidate in the first place....the smooth talking fast talkers are invariably full of baloney....he's so immature to a mature person that is.
    Jake Carlson
    Las Vegas

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. Joe, Florida

After careful thought and consideration, I can safely say that it will be Colin Powell.

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Ted

Obama and his marketing games has no place in the White House. This is serious business for the American people and anyone who doesn't know that is just out of touch.

August 22, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Bob Indianapolis, IN

WHAT A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME! WAIT FOR THE FRIGGIN' ANNOUNCEMENT!

August 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. ananymous

hahahahahha I love it. Some body should be teaching a to the press.

August 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Jeff, New York

The Media is generating the hype, not Obama. The media is ridiculous...staking out the residences of potential Obama VP picks? Come on now! I'd love it if they were ALL wrong.

August 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. Jennifer Miller

bunch of crap, I have no respect for the Democraps...bunch of losers. If not Clinton, my vote goes to McCain.

August 22, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. Latina for Obama...NJ

To Beth...it better be hillary?that sounds like a threat to me..and if it isnt... what?

OBAMA... KEEP THEM WAITING LOL