August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. baby mama

since The Messiah is the biggest fake of all........this seems about right

August 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  2. jmp

my buddy and i have been going back and forth with fakes.
    so far we've tapped clinton, kaine, biden, and the rock!

August 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. All Right

What a bunch of hype, kinda like Obama himself....just a bunch of hype about nothing. Does anyone even care anymore, this has been so overplayed that whomever it is will be a let down!

August 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. John

Jeez, posters. That didn't come as a joke from the Obama campaign. It came from some practical joker who had the foresight to snag that email address.

August 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Praetorian, Fort Myers

If he had $1.00 worth of common sense he should have seen this coming.

Control the message–if you don't say yourself, in public–it wasn't said.

I hope you lunatics are watching how screwed up an Obama administration will likely be.

August 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Crush Rush

When can we signup the kids for their free "John McCain Draft Card Kit"?

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. joshua

NO CLINTON THEN I WONT VOTE OBAMA I GO FOR MCAIN CAUSE I REALLY DONT TRUST THE DEMOCRATS OR THE REPUBLICANS THATS WHAT SO GOOD ABOUT BEING AND INDEPENDANT, U THINK FOR URSELF AND THE KOOLAID, HAS NO EFFECT

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. Beverly, NYC

ANNOUNCE ALREADY!!!

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. McCain is a cuttie!

Does Obama really need so much press? Looks like he's begging for it.

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. D&D

I guess that's what the media likes...speculations and suspens.

Drive them crazy Obama!

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. Luke

Hahaha.......
    Maybe, just maye, itis all three.

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. Vegas

He should have sent a postcard... indicating when he would send the text telling you to check your e-mail for the phone number to call for the automated system letting you know who he didn't pick.

Or just tell a reporter.... oh the drama.... the drama.... LMAO

August 22, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. MD FOR OBAMA

Enough already.

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Otis

This is how government under Obama will be?

Frankly, if I'm on the "short list", I'd be insulted as hell. I know it's done as a joke, but this is just in poor taste.

Show some professionalism already!

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. mary

And the loser is ..... my choice for vice president.....
    whoops no one - I can do it all by myself.

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  16. James

Obama – Edwards!! Chet that is !!

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  17. Make them work for it President O!

You members of the press are something else. It's about time the jokes on you. Just like when you all projected Florida wrong.

You report the news...don't make it.

Obama!

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. Erika, KS

Ha! Ha! Ha!
    It's not a game, it's a joke!

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. Aditi

Big foot.
    Obama in suspended animation like present vote.

August 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. williefloyd

Some people just have too much time on their hands. Stupid, childish pranks!!!

OBAMA/BIDEN

August 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Thomas Emerson

If he does that he just divided the Democratic Party irrepairedly and lost the election.

August 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Brian

My friends and I have been pranking each other all week.

I SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT.

August 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Phil from Indiana

It will be nice when he announces it, but I am voting for BARACK OBAMA and not his running mate.

Granted, the person needs to be ready to take the reigns in case of an emergency but all the finalists seem to be poised to do so. So really, I am not too concerned about it.

If I had my druthers it would be Sen. Beiden because I like the guy and know that he'll be good at dishing out some smack based on the truth instead of laying back and taking it when the McCain camp dishes out the lies and exaggerations.

August 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. Elaine Johnson

Obama is the most immature Presidential Candidate I've ever seen in my 55 yrs. on this earth.
    He's not ready folks !
    He needs more time and he needs to address his comments in his first book regarding the white race, and in his book callled Audacity of Hope about he'd "support the Muslims everytime in political matters"...I think until he grows up he's scary.
    Elaine Johnson
    Denver CO

August 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

How rewarding for Clinton, Kaine and Sebellius to be preparing their acceptance speech, when neither is the selected VP. Of course, CNN announcement of Chet Edwards........is that real also? And these are the individuals who are going to govern the country?.....God help us all......

August 22, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |