August 22nd, 2008

Fake VP announcements sent...even to White House press

Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.
Obama has yet to name his VP candidate.

(CNN) – Eager VP-watchers waiting for the text message announcement of Barack Obama’s choice of running mate have gotten their answer: It’s Hillary Clinton. And Tim Kaine. And Kathleen Sebelius.

Since declaring the Democratic vice presidential pick would first be announced over e-mail and text message, several hoax announcements of the Illinois senator's choice have circulated, purporting to be from the Obama campaign.

The latest came in e-mail Friday morning that hit the inboxes of many White House reporters, carrying the subject, "My Vice President."

The e-mail, from the address obama08campaign@aol.com, was purportedly from Barack Obama and read, "I said you would be the first to know, and you are - I have selected Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as my running mate!”

No word on when the real e-mail will be sent.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Oh! The Irony

Bill From Florida August 22nd, 2008 3:27 pm ET

This is so sad that a Presidental nominee is playing these childish games to get media attention. No wonder McCain is leading or
    neck in neck with Obama. Obama needs to grow up and so should
    his campaign.
    ------------------

A real "grown up" would realize that it isn't Obama or his campaign doing this. It's people like the ones who come in here pretending to be Democrats hating on Barack, but they are really Republicans.

August 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. jorge lopez

Hillary will be.....

August 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Matthew

Paris Hilton, I just got a text... err um, it was about proper exfoliating.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

August 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. jon

4x100m relay mens final olympics 2008

August 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. Bill

This whole vp thing is just too funny.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. GRB

This is getting really annoying. Who cares who he picks anyway? If he doesn't pick Hillary he won't win and if he doesn't know that he is not very smart.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. James from Akron, OH

With all of the suspense that the campaign is creating for this announcement, I can't see him picking a run-of-the-mill VP. My bet's on Sebelius. Or even, though not my personal favorite, Clinton.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

A first in history........the Vice President nomination for the Democratic Party is........and there is a three way tie: Hillary Clinton, Tim Kaine and Kathleen Sebelius.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. totally neutral

Now, whoever getsw that right can tell us what Fay is REALLY going to do -a thousand weather experts have been totally wrong for almost 2 weeks.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. Latina for Obama...NJ

And he doesnt need any more media attention Bill from Florida...he has plenty
    Just look at your right on your screen..under "categories" he has 2377 articles about him and mcsame has 1400.That says a lot.

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Joe

Obama should have exercised his superior judgment to know that fake emails, fake text messages etc could very well jeopardize this whole childish game

August 22, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. Dave in OC, Vets for Obama

I haven't gotten any hoax text msgs.
    Probably some virus started by RNC spitballers.

Guess I'll really be among the first to know! =)

McCain must be really cranky he can't generate this kind of interest and excitement.
    We all know he won't choose any that's not fervently anti-choice....

Vets for Obama

13. JDC // Ohio

Obama is reported to be calling VP losers. All will be losers soon!

14. jenn

CNN's breathless stakeout of potential VP houses is comical, but that's been true of most of their political coverage. The convenience of 24-hour news is nice, but not when it becomes 24-hour speculation and conjecture.

I mean, until an announcement is made, there is no news. Surely something else is happening in the world today?

Personally, I don't care who Obama picks...he's by far the better candidate even with a sock puppet by his side. I feel sorry for people who have been sucked in my McCain's "mavericky, straight-talk express" fantasy world.

McCain's IQ is probably half of what Obama's is, and, unlike McCain, Obama didn't need to have an admiral in the family to make it through college, or marry a trophy-wife heiress to become successful. Wake up, people–John "How Many Homes Do I Own, Again?" McCain's just trying to deflect his own weaknesses by attempting to project them onto Obama.

15. Jesse

Hold on let me consult my Magic 8 Ball... Oh wait. Darn! "Concentrate and Ask Again"... I HATE YOU MAGIC 8 BALL!!!

16. Mike

I take it....he really thinks he's cool by playing these games? NOT!!!

17. mike s.

Interesting that Obama railed against being compared to pop icons, yet he continues to engage in immature media hype like this text messaging bit. Give me a break.

McCain '08 - an actual adult for President.

18. chris

i knew from the news on newspapers and TV that OBAMA is a SUPER RICH man himself. he's living in a 4.3 million house and he has more than 4.2 mil. annual income !!! so, please DO NOT SAY you're a POOR GUY ! everything you said is for this campaign, we know.

19. Justin

Obam-UH is a fake, a hypocrite, and is going to lose the election. I heard Hillary Clinton turned down VP, not even she wants to be with this loser.

20. SUE

well at this point i could care less..If it not Hillary he won,t get my vote and Edwards will not help him win the south,,I am from Texas and I kno

21. stacy

Is there any maturity anywhere in all this?

22. Josephine

I hear that Kath Kennedy.
    Obama 04.

23. Jack Colson

Obama is not grown up and it is so obvious listening to the Saddleback Forum.
    Obama needs another ten yrs for us good, honest, decent AMericans to find out "WHO HE IS".
    Jack Colson
    Portland OR

24. Marc C

My guess is the announcement will go out over text as the Senator is walking out on stage - right before he introduces him/her live at the rally tomorrow. He has said that all along..... Why is it people think there will be some text announcement this evening on a Friday night. My guess is tomorrow during the rally.

25. NO VOTE

what are we? a nation of clowns?
    this is serious business folks.

August 22, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |