August 22nd, 2008

New McCain ad paints Obama as spendthrift celebrity

New McCain ad again hits Obama on taxes.
New McCain ad again hits Obama on taxes.

(CNN) - John McCain’s campaign released its second tax ad of the week that calls Barack Obama a spendthrift celebrity who does not have to worry about a family budget.

The spot comes a day after McCain grabbed headlines for his inability to immediately recall how many homes he owns.

“Celebrities don’t have to worry about family budgets, but we sure do,” says the announcer in the 30-second spot. “We’re paying more for food and gas, making it harder to save for college, retirement.

“Obama’s solution? Higher taxes called ‘a recipe for economic disaster.’ He’s ready to raise your taxes, but not ready to lead.”

The new ad comes two days after a McCain radio spot that said “celebrities like to spend their millions. Barack Obama is no different. Only it's your money he wants to spend.”

The same day, Obama’s campaign released a spot that accused McCain of planning to give major tax breaks to oil companies, big corporations and “companies shipping jobs overseas” while giving millions of Americans “no tax relief at all.

Earlier: McCain, Obama trade attack spots on tax policy

Filed under: John McCain • Political ads
  1. Texas For Obama

Why do McCain's staff put these adds out trying to tear Obama down, and when he answers back with his own ads, the say he's being childish and need to stick to the issues. I think the McCain camp need to stick to the issues. They run one attack ad after another because McCain can't win on the issues that really concern the american people. You see McCain hasn't gone up in the polls, so he's doing all he can to bring Obama down. I think we should protest nation wide aginst McCains negative attacks. Let them know this is not how to win an election.

August 22, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Out Of Touch!!!!

To Greg-The key to prosperity is getting your lazy rear up off the couch and GETTING A JOB!! -the fact that someone other than you owns more houses than you own has NO IMPACT on whether you can reach the means to afford more*** McCain has so many houses he lost count and his $500 shoes it is called Out of TOUCH– Americans are not Lazy ....Due to BUSH & Co and the UNJUST WAR Economy is
    a Disaster......yes we work ..some of us just can't make ends meet CUZ of the food and gas prices in other words the cost living.... Of Course YOU and McBush are RICH and OUT OF TOUCH!! SO SHUT H_LL UP!!!

August 22, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. John

I feel a lot more pain in this economy, mindful that my 6 homes and off-shore accounts had dwindled to 4,999,999.67 dollars as at last check. By any perceptive standard, I 'm not rich, just getting bye. McCain is my champion in this ugly economic mess. We ought to ascribe rich to those better off than myself. Lest I forget we only need to ask those well off to invest in folks like me to enhance our ranks. The strength of our great economy can sustain more ill conceived war adventures and a few more shoot first, then questions later foreign policy initiatives. With John McCain's stewardship of the George W. Bush agenda, we are good for more years of splendid growth and prosperous bounty.

August 22, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Shawny

Hi America, Everytime McCain laughs at the end of his statement, he's laughing at you.

He thinks you really believe what he says. He believes you – the average citizen can relate to him and vice versa. But how can you? You don't have the same 10 war stories to repeat. You didn't leave your sick wife to go hit the jack pot with Cynthia. You don't have 5 to 8 houses to try to remember. Ever been on a private jet mr. average american.

Hey you use computers too. Did you know McCain is not even computer literate enough to find this blog and leave a comment. Is this guy someone you could relate to? Is this the man you want to represent you? Wanna watch the internets together?

Hey ladies, I'm sorry about Hillary, but hey you can vote for McCain if you want to get rid of your right to choose, and you have a few children to send to the next war. He's your man, and he'll be there for you just like his first wife. but watch out for his temper – he might yell at you.

The straight talk express is crooked and this ad is yet another example. If you voters can't see that – well you and McCain can have this country – I'm moving to Canada. Because if you vote for McCain you send a loud message that the Europeans are correct about us when they say we are nothing more than self righteous stupid fat lazy trigger happy cowboys, and McCain is the guy that can best represent us in the world.

Don't be stupid.

Obama 08, or else it's Canada for me.

August 22, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  5. Oil Worker

Greg: Let me start this off by telling you that you are a sicophant, spherical, and cylindrical idiot! No one is talking about taking money from those who work and giving it to those who don't. We're talking about balancing the tax responsibility in this country. The wealthiest people are paying less taxes dollar for dollar than the rest of us period. There are certain tax write-offs you can't take unless you make above a certain figure.

August 22, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  6. velmeezee

For those whose post are implying that those of us that make under $250,000 a year are "lazy" or "didn't go to college", how many police officers do you know that earn $250,000? How about elementary school teachers? How about doctors? District attorneys? Construction workers? Nurses? The list goes on and on of hard working people that went to college and don't earn $250,000 a year. No one is asking people that do make that much to do any more than their fair share.

August 22, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. johnson ebokpo jnr

I think McCain just represents a trigger happy generation.look at his take on the Russia-Georgia conflict,I think some of dis leaders need to a bit of diplomatic studies ,else people like McCain would plunge us into another 4th world war.the world is watching America to take its rightful lead.

August 23, 2008 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  8. apartments toronto

Hey friend, I’ve just started my own online presence for my business, but there are some great ideas in the list that I really could do and hadn’t thought of at all. I would like to add this to my real estate FB , not sure how to do it yet, but I will figure it out somehow.

January 8, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |