August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. proud army and navy mom

Come on already, sen Obama, you have work to do.

August 22, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  2. proud army and navy mom

Just please don't let it be Hillary!

August 22, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  3. Terrence (Winston Salem, NC)

And the winner is....

August 22, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. RFP

blah.... boring. who cares? it's like the entire world is waiting with baited breath to find out.

August 22, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  5. Mike - Texas

Based on the number of people that have already turn Obama down, I'll bet that they were happy not to be running with him. Now, who is the sucker that he chose???

August 22, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  6. Xango

my 13 year old can do better reporting than these trashy news from cnn

is CNN really desperate or what
    cnn is like people magazine, or worse, the other maagzine the enquirer

i guess cnn is replacing the enquirer

cnn; do you th ink we the people are dumb?

August 22, 2008 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  7. Jeremey, Chi Town

Let's wait to get the text message. What is this American Idol? Is it like $3.99 per text. this is a joke.

August 22, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  8. ex dem

at this point I really dont care... Like Mccain said the other day, your job is to break tie votes in the Senate and check on the presidents health daily. Lame duck position, I think obama is making too much of it. Leave the Drama for the teens obama, GO TEXT SOME KIDS>>>

August 22, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  9. obamaton

Off-topic, but Cargill posted almost $1 billion in profits during the second quarter 0f 2008! At a time when most Americans are stuggling to put food on the table and fuel in the tank! Further, Big Agribusiness is one of the most heavily government-subsidized industries in the world! I demand that Congress investigate Big Farm!

August 22, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  10. joshua

If hillary is not VP I WILL NOT vote for obama, they need eachother!!

August 22, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  11. dEMOBRAT

If he does not choose Clinton we will know just how big this guy's ego really is.

August 22, 2008 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  12. Alexa-Hillary as vp!

That must've been a hard job. I certainly hope that be chooses Sen. Clinton for the vp spot!! He alone doesn't have the experience.

August 22, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  13. Matt

I find it hilarious how much this clown is milking his VP selection. He keeps trying to bait the public. All just a publicity stunt. More proof that he's more of a 'celebrity' than a politician.

August 22, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  14. al phillips

If there is ANY doubt how you inspire a country and lead a country, look at how Obama has RUN his campaign.

The fear the REPUGs have of Obama is that he will INSPIRE the nation and there would NOT be anymore WEDGE politics to play to divide and rule.

August 22, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  15. A C-SPAN Junkie

Barack, you will have to prove you can lead not blow smoke. So far your just alot of hot air and hype. I'm one of those undecided but leaning, to who, well you take a guess. I want change with experience and home boy that is all dependent on whom McCain chooses. Infact if he picks wrong I just may stay home and rack the leaves on 11/4. You Disrespected my Senator so if you think just because she asks for my vote for you well, think of it this way I choose her she didn't choose me.

Obama/Clinton 08

CLINTON 2012 :-)

August 22, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  16. EMJ

Bo tried to call Hillary and tell her she was not selected but her phone has been disconnected for not paying her bills.

August 22, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  17. CM

Good thing he let them know now so that it won't be like a beauty pageant tomorrow.

Doesn't matter who he picks, he still wins. All the polls haven't counted the brave men and women around the world serving this country who donate to Obama over McCain 6-1.

Those absentee ballots will be one of many factors that will tip Obama past the 270 mark.

August 22, 2008 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  18. Sick & Tired of Nobama

Gosh, who really cares? Such hype! He is making this all a circus rather than the very serious thing that it is.
    Nominating and voting for a president and VP is not a joke or celebrity show. We are picking someone to run our country. The longer this goes on, with all this texting BS, the more the American people see just what a joke and empty suit this guy is.
    Get serious Nobama. You are showing more and more that the American people cannot trust you to run the country. This is not a game, a game show, etc.

August 22, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  19. Amy

YOU PEOPLE IN MEDIA BUSINESS DON'T YOU SEE OBAMA IS PLAYING GAMES WITH YOU JUST TO DRAW MORE PUBLICITY TO HIMSELVES, HE WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET ELECTED.
    EVEN YOU GUYS HELPED HIM TO GET WHERE HE IS NOW HE WILL
    REVEAL HIS DECISION FIRST TO HIS SUPPORTERS BY E-MAIL SHOWING DISRESPECT FOR THOSE (OLDER PEOPLE) WHO DON'T USE COMPUTERS.

August 22, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  20. D&D

So? What did you want him to do, to let them find out at the same time than everybody else?
    That's the least he could have done to show his respect for them!

August 22, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  21. above my pay grade um ah um um ah ah

The ones who got the calls were the lucky ones.....Who wants to be a part of a failed presidential bid, not to mention a dishonest man.

August 22, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  22. SIMP

Let'sust wait and see. I know Obama will pick the best VP that suits him. I have my choice and believe me it's not Hillary and bill. I don't care who Obama picks, he could pick donald duck just as long as he does not pick Hillary I don't trust her and she has that baggage of a husband bill.

Obama

August 22, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  23. chucky

Although I'm not a Clinton supporter, i really think Obama should make her VP, as it would make his whitehouse bid stronger. but to suggest that Obama owes her is really stupid. he didn't ask her to run for president. that was a choice she made. when she was down in the race, he didn't ask her to stay in it. yeah it would be nice if he would help her but he doesnt owe it to her. it would be nice if my neighbor helped me with my house payment, but he doesnt owe it to me cause he lives next to me.

August 22, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  24. Obamarican

As long as it's not Hillary it's cool. He has been accused of not helping her when in my opinion, he shouldn't help her with anything. Why should he help her pay for the slanderous campaign that she ran against him? She's making demands, holding her delegates hostage until she gets what she wants by using them as leverage. She's bullied herself into a nomination at the DNC, she has her own video in the making that will be aired there, she is going to speak even though this (doing everything she can to see Obama elected) has not materialized. She makes no comment or effort to derail PUMA's attacks and protests. She even has her husband Bill speaking even though he has not said one kind or supportive word about Obama. She deserves to be in debt and even if by some miracle of Christ she managed to steal the nomination from Obama her chances of eve holing higher office were gone when she started all of the theatrics. Just as her 18 million wont vote for OBAMA, I and many like me will never Vote for a Clinton anything, I'd be really surprised if she's even able to get her senate seat back.

August 22, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  25. Steve Green

If he does not select Clinton ,he will lose the election!

August 22, 2008 08:49 am at 8:49 am |