August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. brian

Man, these PUMA idiots sound like broken records. Hillary's campaign failed because she was incapable of following one strategy, she couldn't budget her campaign, she was too negative with Obama and because she couldn't keep her husband's mouth shut. So shut up and deal with it, PUMAs (by the way that is the dumbest name anyone has ever come up with, ever).

August 22, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. LMAO AFL Not Credible

I guess calling people to tell them bad news isnt above his pay grade... hmm wonder if calling world leaders is?

August 22, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. Karen - Missouri

I'm anxiously awaiting that text/email announcing the VP slot. Whoever it is, Obama is the BEST presidential candidate we could ever hope for! At least he knows how many homes he owns.

August 22, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. chicago

He NEEDS HILLARY

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. Phil in KC

Enough already! C'mon – tell us!
    (BTW – still no mention of Rockefeller as a dark horse.)

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  6. Armageddan

Whoever the candidate is I wish him and Obama the best of luck. And here’s the reason why:

The people in this country puzzle me sometimes. I mean really confusing. In the 2000 election, no one in their right mind can deny that GW and his brother Jeb, literally stole a presidential election right in front of our eyes. And not only that, but to my amazement there were people who applauded it, were actually proud of it. That is absolutely amazing to me. Sometimes I wonder if we are a nation of idiots. Then this nation turned right around and put a dishonest , unintelligent man right back into the Oval office. Real intelligent, NOT.

Now 7 1/2 years later we all, except the privileged few, are in serious financial straights. We are embroiled in a war that we were deceived into thinking was a just cause. We now know it was all based on lies. We are paying through the nose just to drive our cars. We are losing our jobs and homes at a alarming rate. It truly is a sad state of affairs. A 500 million dollar deficit, it's exactly what we get.....

What we need to be doing instead, is pulling our self-serving heads out of our butts and start using sound logic.

Wake up America, stop the madness. Stop letting your prejudices and bigotry cloud sound judgment. McCain can't remember from one day to the next what comes out of his mouth. Instead of making valuable use out of his time, he is totally consumed with what Obama is doing. His platform is the standard Republic fare, fear, prejudice and the hope that the American people will stay in their mindless funk...

Yes, I'm voting for Obama and whoever if Vice Presidential candidate is. I don't care what color he is. He can be purple for all I care. He is at least exhibiting a willingness to push forward, rather than rely on ill-conceived, out-dated, non-effective leadership like GW and which John McCain is displaying with his deceptive and lying personal attacks. Attacks that have no basis in fact or reality. It shows a definite lack of character, what a loser.

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  7. Rave

Powder threatning letter sent to McCain's office ?? That must be his daily dose of Dope.
    Dope made in Iraq , sent to him by his friends " Al Queda "
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  8. DMD, New York

Is there any truth to the following:

A motion for an emergency temporary restraining order prohibiting Obama from running for president, was made in Philadelphia Federal Court, on 8/21/08 enjoining the DNC from nominating Obama as the Democratic presidential candidate.

I've seen it on several websites.

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Can we please elect an intelligent person !

I'm ready to move forward no matter who he picks, because anybody who has a brain will realise Mccain is no option . Hes not exactly a smart man, Obama is intelligent. Brains are important!

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  10. G. Ancich

If he's truly SMART, he'll pick Hillary and cross the Finish line victoriously. He'll need Hillary to beat the mean extreme Republican machine!

August 22, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. bruce

While I love CNN and enjoy many of your programs...I have never seen adults acting like frothing dogs waiting for a bone as much as I have in the last 48 hours...why in the world do we need to know everything before it happens...in a 24hr news cycle i kind of get it but...relax for heavens sake and give me a break on the second by second speculation...jeez enough already!

August 22, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. pat C.

i hope it is wesley clark so he can ram McCains war record down his old perverbial throat!

August 22, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. CT voter

Matt from CT you do realize our state will be a landslide for Obama, and I can't wait until you see the shocker landslide in November, just wait. People think these negative campaign's work but when push come's to shove so many democrats have taken republican seats in their home district and against their negative campaign ad's that tied them to Obama, they STILL won. Just wait until November ;-)

August 22, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Sue

Flagg:

Glad to see Stephen King is alive and well and is here in this list of comments~~~ hahaha

Well, Barack didn't call me, so I guess that means I win the VP slot.

Seriously, I can't wait to find out who he will choose, there are so many good choices to pick from out there...

G0 Obama '08

August 22, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  15. Wade - University Student

Who is the next Kevein Federline?

Britneys running mate is interesting,

But I am waiting for McCain to annouce who the next vice president.

August 22, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  16. Barbara - NC

I'll just be glad when it's over so the empty talking-heads shut up.

We get no news – only spin and speculation over and over and over.

Obama '08

August 22, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. debkansas

If he doesn't give it to one of the Clintons, then who gives a darn. He would even be hard for me to vote for him even if he does select one of the Clintons. I don't like what he stands for. Go Hillary.

August 22, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. Ann

And depending on who Obama picks, he may be in store for some bad news.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  19. jimmy

OBAMA HAS CHOSEN A MAN WITH EXPERIENCE AS HE SAID, HE STRUGGLED IN DECIDING ON HIS CHOICE. CANNOT BLAME HIM.
    HE IS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY NOMINEE AND HE IS ENTITLED TO MAKE HIS CHOICE. JOE BIDEN HAS THAT MUCH EXPERIENCE,
    JOE BIDEN IS A FIVE TERM SENATOR FROM DELAWARE, CHAIRS THE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE..
    I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT OBAMA HAS PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE.. HE NEEDS TO BE ELECTED FIRST BEFORE HE NEEDED A VP WITH FOREIGN POLICY EXPERIENCE.
    AFTER ELECTION, HE HAS ANY NUMBER OF FOREIGN POLICY EXPERTS , MANY OF WHICH ARE QUITE FAMILIAR TO AMERICANS.
    NOW OF COURSE OBAMA'S ELECTION CHANCES ARE GOING TO BE TOUGH WITHOUT HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL CLINTON AND THEIR NUMBERS AND CONTRIBUTIONS.. HISTORICALLY, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN THAT MUCH MORE HISTORIC WITH HILLARY AS THE VP AND WOULD HAVE ADDED THAT MUCH MORE POWER TO THE TICKET , SO MUCH SO THAT EVERY PUNDIT AROUND THE COUNTRY HAD DUBBED THE TICKET THE "DREAM TICKET". BUT PRIDE AND ARROGANCE HAS TAKEN OVER THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE. HE PUT HIMSELF ON A SLIPPERY SLOPE
    AND HIS NUMBERS ARE NOW SLIPPING SINCE THE SADDLEBACK FORUM I ORANGE COUNTY.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  20. Neutralizer

It doesn't matter who is his VP, even Hillary can't save Obambi from the jaws of defeat come November if he's the official nominee of the Democrap. We don't vote for VP in general election,. only for President. McCain will be the next President if Obambi is the official nominee.

Obambi = McGovern

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  21. a us citizen

Obama has demonstrated a record of wise and effective judgment which is a clear indication that Hillary Clinton will not be the VP candidate.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. Praetorian, Fort Myers

How come John Edwards isn't on his short list? Oh, that's right he's under the train along with Rev. Wright.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  23. Marge

Matt, Manchester, CT August 22nd, 2008 9:48 am ET

Regardless of letting down easily those "Almost Veep Nominees," the call will still be easier than the concession call he'll make in November to Senator McCain!
    ______________________________________________________
    LOL! have another "drink" Matt!!!!
    McRICH will never get that call!!! Watch and Learn!!!!

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  24. edem

i don't know why you people are still wondering. if u follow obama closely u will know who he has chosen as vp.after the qualities he cited himself and as been this intelligent, u should know the choice is HILLARY CLINTON.
    FORGET IT ,I DON'T LIKE HER MYSELF but the only person that could run this country if obama is not there is hillary clinton.
    now watch and learn.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  25. Dave

I hope he didn't pick Hillary, because I want him to lose and without her, he basically loses automatically. I'm counting on him maintaining his arrogant ways though, so I'm pretty confident he didn't pick her.

August 22, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |