August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. RJ, CA

I hope, unlike his supporters, Obama knows how to SPELL that person's name - or anything else, for that matter.

McCain for president! A grown-up doing a grown-up job.

August 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. a Bitter mid westerner who loves guns and God

Is Obama for real or not? Is he a Muslim or not? Is he inexperienced or not? Did he get a sweetheart deal from Rezko or not? Is he afraid f Putin or not? Will he ask for Hillary or Biden or neither? Unfortunately in this world of ours, where there is smoke there is fire. We live in a dangerous world.

So some of the above may or may not be true, but on the other side of the coin some or all may be true.

So in my humble opinion, Obama is a risky candidate and do we want
    to gamble on our country's future with a questionable leader? or do we want a proven leader.?

Why take the risk or the gamble when we have a leader in John McCain, a man, who will protect our country and our values. No gamble with John McCain.

August 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  3. Rache from Bowie

I trust Hillary got the call. I would not let her run my PTO fund raiser. When the final truth is told you'll find out that she is probably more like $40M in debt.

August 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. TC

Hillary is not a smart choice for VP so I hope one of the calls Barack made last night was to let her know she is not his pick. Obama can win with Hillary if people would use good judgement and stop letting other people think for them and learn to look past the color of a person's skin. Think about your future and the future of your children and their children. Vote for Obama in November and let's get this country back on track or Vote for McCain and watch more people lose their jobs and homes because John and Cindy will not let you live in one of their many homes.

August 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. Salsa

If he's smart it will be Hillary!!!!! If not, with his low polling numbers right now, she'll take it at the convention. He should be at least 15% ahead of McCain right now and he's not. Let's face facts. If he doesn't get Hillary on the ticket he's not going to win!!!

August 22, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Jake

I am rooting for Biden. Hillary DOESN'T help in some battleground states. Actually she HURTS his chances of winning some of them. Some states just DONT WANT HER!!!!

Obama/Biden 08'

August 22, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  7. Kenneth Faulkner

V.P. Al Sharpton

August 22, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  8. rbt

Clinton is not the smart choice for anyone who thinks and has a memory of the 90's. In the primaries, Obama did not touch on any anti Clinton feelings as he is a loyal democrat. The repubs will be out in force within hours of a Clinton Veep choice with ads on the following subjects. (Whitewater, Monica, Rose Law Firm, Vince Foster,and Hillarycare) They are salivating!. Just look at anything Pat Buchanan says on MSNBC. . .he cant even keep a straight face when boosting for Hillary as Veep. Why is it that no one even mentions this in the MSM, we are being manipulated people!!!

August 22, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. John in Ohio

"As much as I hate to admit it – Clinton seems like a smart choice."

It's terrible but true, isn't it?

On the other hand, no other VP choice would energize, mobilize, and polarize Republican opposition like Hillary. And really, ouside of followers, I don't know what she really brings to the table.

August 22, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  10. R Devgan -Los Angeles

Clintons are the best and smart choice at this juncture. Obama needs them and country needs.

August 22, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  11. obama all the way

Barack,

I would still vote for you , even if you chose Kermit the Frog as your VP.

I know you made a logical informed decision and you have the best interest of the Dems and our country at heart!!

Now we just wait....

Gobama!!!

August 22, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  12. ben

Hopefully, Billary was one of the people that received a call.

August 22, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  13. Timber (ex dem)

Can't people see that Obama has no substance and that is why he keeps this hype up about the VP? He has to otherwise people will notice that there is really nothing there. It is like when Hollywood hypes up a movie for weeks and people don't realize that the movie is bad until after they have paid their money to see it when it is too late. You have to see through the hype that the media and Obama have put around him and see the empty suit celebrity he is. Do not be fooled!

August 22, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  14. Demski

God forbid BHO be the POTUS, then America should brace for the inevitable unknown future. Don't blame the previous US presidents then if more US job outsourcing and retrenchments, higher gasoline prizes, dramatic surge of housing foreclosures, higher taxes, an inevitable war with foreign rogue states and an unknown future. Even if you BHO voter's will complain to your BHO, still BHO won't listen. Why? BHO had even sat on a church for some 20 odd years "listening" the anti-american hate-mongering sermon of a pastor who married BHO and baptized BHO's children but in which BHO claimed he did not hear anything at all. And for the first time in my adult american life, the under BHO's government will in encourage not singing the star-and-spangled banner, prosecution if you wear a US flag-pin, and worst the US will be run finally by the muslims. Wow, so many things to mention. Will, it's up to you but it's not yet too late.

August 22, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. Damien

Jack Reed is the Demo VP Choice.

August 22, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. Leo

I'm gunning for Richardson, but I wonder if Al will be able to say no to Obama/Gore.

August 22, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  17. David

Reaction of "loser" candidates....."My Prayers were answered"

August 22, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  18. CTP

I prefer Biden, but I'll take anyone he chooses. He's got a great team working on this and he's a very intelligent man.

YES WE WILL!
    Obama '08!

August 22, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. FREDDY

As a lifelong demacrat I don't care who he picks. Even if he picks Hillary I won't vote for him. Hillary deserves to be president. Not some empty suit that will bring this country to ruin. I will be voting Republican this year. I want a liar that I can trust. Not Obama and his radical thoughts.

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  20. lorna Hanson Forbes

If Barack Hussein Obama does not choose Clinton for his VP, then I am voting for McCain.

Plain and simple.

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  21. Phong Nguyen

Something new from the Agent of Change???

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  22. Latina for Obama...NJ

C'mon Barack!! Im waiting for your text!

OBAMA 08!

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  23. Obama Supporter from FL

I really disliked Hillary during the primaries, what with theatacks and everything, but I've kind of come around. If he decides he needs her and picks her, two months ago I would have voted McCain. Now, I might be able to still pull the lever for Obama...

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. California Voter

Obama/Clinton or NOOBAMA . . . . he's got to pick up voters and no other VP prospect can help him in that goal . . .

August 22, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

Good grierf, everyone has to make a congressional out of all of this. Just pick someone and get it over with. Obama and McCain. All this political drama.

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |