August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. crooksandliars

I will live with whomever he selects because ultimately I think this is a smart man. I REALLY hope it's NOT HILLARY CLLINTON. She's still refering to him as "my opponet". She deserves to be shown the door as soo as she leaves the stage. And I think her selfish, hateful, PUMA supporters cat leave with her. It's just not worth it.

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  2. Please, No Obama

Top 3 choices: Rev. Wright, Michelle Obama and Rezko.

Get over it, Obama. Your stupid childish games about the VP pick are as lame as your false arrogance. You are going down in the polls and will cost the Dems an election they should have won. I hope Hillary comes back and whips your butt.

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. Mario Estrada

I am not willing to sacrifice my country men to four more years of current policy even if my choice for president is not on the ticket.

I see the suffering from policy that just does not work, skyrocketing prices for everything, corruption is out of control, our image internationally is destroyed, jobs being shipped overseas, and cheap labor being imported, our military is stretched thin when every rouge nation is testing the fire, our infrastructure is falling apart, illegal drugs are filling our cities, education is off the charts, foreclosures, healthcare, Katrina, Rita, and taking care of the rich while the rest of the country falls through the cracks, just does not seem worth me playing political games.

We need a change of direction folks.

Vote Obama O8

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  4. Used to be a Repuglican

I don't care who it is as long as it isn't Hillary!
    And Kenneth – I totally agree! SHe is dangerous and can't be truested for a minute.

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. Fred

hey whats the problem, can't decide on who to pick that could help
    you win the white and tell you how to do your job as president if you
    possibly win.. The only way you stand a chance is by who you pick.
    And who you pick regardless if it is any qualified candidate with
    great experience in foreign affairs is the only thing that can save you.
    Quit playing games with the people you know who you want already.
    For a change be somebody and say it. Games , Games , Games.
    Tired of listening to the man that promises change... Listen Mr.
    Obama , Russia is knocking at our door.. You don't know how to
    handle it, you need someone on your side to help you pull this off.
    I doubt you can...

August 22, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. Alex, Scotland

I didn't support HRC for the presidential nominee, but I think she'll be a terrific VP. I don't think she'll be an effective face for America (talk about dealing with the Middle East, and she's got haters in-house). Not withstanding, she's got the connection to complete an Obama administration. They are both going to be inspiring leaders to loads.

Ok, time to move on... Who's McCains VP nominee? I hope it is peace-loving fella.

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. Obamanator 08

Please Barack don't pick Hillary....She took a crap on you during the primaries...She still thinks she's entitled to the presidency...Let her stay in the Senate...There's no place for her in the White House ever!!!

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. BR

I have a clue and I am not drinking the Messiah/Marx world tour 2008 bit. I am not rich, but I am not jealous of what others have either. It's called be happy with what you have. I know it is a novel idea.

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. Wait and See!!!

Sorry It is not HRC
    Matt, Manchester, CT– Senator Obama will Win

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. Mother Abigail

Come on out to Denver, Barack. And bring all your friends.

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. wise choice?

Despite what people say. he needs hillary. Obama dont let your pride get in the way of becoming the next president. Just ask her!

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. JM From MD

THE DREAM TEAM IS OBAMA/CLINTON!. BILL SHOULD KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT FROM NOW ON.

August 22, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  13. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

McCain has 5 houses and they belong to his wife. And Sen McCain has more to take care of than be thinking about how many places he has. AND, no one care when John Kerry had a dozen houses. Its the Dems who make all the hoopla

August 22, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  14. amber

2 words of advice for Mr. Hubris.........

Hillary Clinton

August 22, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. AR

Is there any wonder that they run ads comparing him with Britney and Paris? He's acting like this VP selection is the Academy Awards! At least he lost the silly fake presidential seal.

August 22, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. When will the insanity end?

It's either Biden, Richardson or Hillary. We'll find out tomorrow. Stay tuned folks..

August 22, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. Another grumpy old white woman for Obama

If we want a Democratic President, all of us are going to have to give up any personal prejudices when it comes to VP. The VP only has as much power as the President allows them until and unless they are called on to substitute for the elected President. Hopefully never.
    I personally will have to hold my nose if Hillary is selected but I will vote for Obama come hell (Hill) or high water. We all must bite our personal bullets on this one.
    Our country and our futures are at stake. Remember that a no vote or a write in vote is a vote for corruption, war and financial disaster for the majority of us.

Obama/ anybody

August 22, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  18. who cares

It does not matter who he picks – he and the Dems are so negative. I read that at the Convention, they are going to present 3 average people who are basically down and out and the Dems are the only ones that can save them – HAHAHAH What a joke – The negativeness of the Dems is so telling. How about picking 3 Dems that HAVE succeded in this country. How about some positiveness at least one time from this party???

August 22, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  19. Hailo

He will never win without Hillary – mark my words.

August 22, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  20. Tman

You know I hate to admit this but I really hope it is Hillary. She is the fighter that Obama needs plus she has the ties to the old Regime to make a good transition to the new.

OB please put Hillary!!!

August 22, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  21. Hillary Lover

If he doesn't name Hillary, I am going to put my head in the oven and then bury myself alive. I won't know what to do with myself. I won't be able to hog the forums anymore with my whining, and I won't really, honestly be able to vote for John McCain because he is a misogynist who uses the c word to talk to his wife and will turn back Roe v Wade with his supreme court picks. I'm really gonna be in bind. Of course, I'll keep whining that I'm gonna vote for McCain, and fill these boards with pathetic, immature squeals, because I have no life.

August 22, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. John in Ohio

"I don't know Jo-Ann. I would rule out Hillary. I mean if Obama doesnt pick Hil, then he just might risk alienating all of Hillary's soul sisters who voted for her during the primaries, and if history is any precursor to the future, it is going to be the women's vote that decide this election.

Bill Clinton won in 96 thanks to the Soccer moms, and Bush in 04 with help from the Evangelical vote, but most importantly because of the Security Moms who were just uncomfortable with John Kerry and his Iraq stance."

This is true. The question for me is, will having a Clinton as the VP pick energize more Clinton-supporter votes for Obama then it will energize anti-Clinton votes for McCain? The Republicans right now are having a terrible time just getting the disparate Republican faction to come together behind McCain. Potential VP Hillary would solve that problem for McCain real quick, the moderate Republicans, fundy Christians, and neocons would all unite to keep Barack out of the White House and to keep Hillary from returning.

So here's my questions when it comes to Hillary as VP pick:
    1. Will she really bring that many supporters who wouldn't otherwise be voting for Obama?
    2. As it is now, McCain has to be careful who he picks as VP so that he doesn't lose the support of any of the three major Republican party factions. If Hillary is the VP choice for Obama, won't that energize the Republican base and unify it behind McCain?
    3. Aside from who will and who won't vote for her, what does Hillary Clinton actually bring to the table as a VP?

August 22, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. S.M

Why do most Clinton supporters feel that Obama needs Hillary to win the election? You choose a VP that will help you and the American people, not because the Clinton supporters are trying to run this election. I would vote for a Republican President if they stood for the less fortunate, but I don't see anyone who falls into this category. Oh, yeah, and if the Hillary supporters vote for McCain and he runs this country into the ground; don't complain to Obama and his supporters because you had your nominee.

August 22, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. Joe

Seriously, stop pretending Obama needs Hillary to win. She's an incredibly self-centered and divisive politician, and she brings nothing special to the table that he couldn't find elsewhere.

Moreover, she voted for the Iraq war and still won't own up to her terrible mistake- she didn't even READ the security report. It's time we started getting rid of that kind of politician.

August 22, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  25. Denise

I don't believe that any of these anti-Hillary posters are actually Democrats or Obama supporters. Anyone who really wants him to win knows that having her on the ticket would be a death blow to the Republicans.

Let's hope that death blow comes today.

August 22, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |