August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Janice Jones

Obama can't win in November.
    Should of been Colin Powell running for President...there is nothing like fast talker, showman, fluff and farcein the USA.
    Janice J
    Milwaukee Wi

August 22, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. MackPA

Senator Barack Obama will select Mayor Michael Bloomberg. There I said it, and it will shock the world if this is so. But if you listen to what Barack has expressed in his selection, Bloomberg fits the bill. He is an independent and his knowledge on economics is unmatched. McCain will select Liberman for a counterattack, but will lose his base and Barack Obama will be president. I hope!

August 22, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. Foreign observer

Obama friends will tolerate Hillary as his checking mate – Hillary friends would love it – and Obama always claimed he is a bridge builder and uniter. Now it´s the time to prove it.

August 22, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. Barbara - NC

Hey – look at it this way – if you PUMAs put McCain in there, look at who HE PICKS because that will REALLY be the next president.

Obama '08

August 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Janice Jones

Can't wait until first week of NOv and will tell the Media NBC, ABC, Cnn that you helped McCain get in with your effforts to glorify Obama who needs another 10 yrs. of experience....
    And OBAMAS comment in his book and I quote:
    "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction"...
    THIS QUOTE IS BEING SENT AROUND THE USA LIKE FLY TO CRAP RIGHT NOW.....and there is more in his book that sickens our stomach.
    Janice J
    St Paul, Mn

August 22, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. Brian

Isn't the proper wording "runners-up"?

August 22, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. Apollonia Creed

I doubt the supporter Hillary will garner will out weigh what a gift she will be for the Republican's "get out the vote" effort, and her many negatives.

August 22, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. felix odimegwu

i pray he succeeds.it really is a tough decision to make especially with all the influence of the clintons.if really he did not choose Hillary, then it must have been for good.and the clintons too must have been consulted.

August 22, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  9. DEMOCRAT

Is not Hillary! But to be honest I think Hillary is a great choice. BUt we all know is not going to be her,.. Whoever he picks I will back him up all the way.. Leaving to Denver today :-) we got our tickets!! So exciting!!!!

August 22, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. hillybilly

WESLEY CLARK IS GOING TO MAKE A GREAT VP.I'M SO GLAD OBAMA PICKED HIM.

August 22, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. Cyndy

The smart choice would be Hillary, If it's her Mccain is out that's for sure no ? ask and Obama will got my vote all the way.

August 22, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Obviouisly

Obama has mistaken voters to really care who is VP is. Sick of hearing about it already. Just announce it hair brain.

August 22, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. BCH

Karen-Phoenix – You are right on target. Hilliary can serve well as a cabinet member in the administration, but please not as VP. I hope he is not a push-over and listens to all the HRC supporters who are full of hate and are sore losers.

Obama 08

August 22, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. JohnBoy

If Obama did not like what has happened to him in August just wait until November.

No Hillary, no president, do you not understand that Obama.

No one will vote for a left wing liberal that only answer is TAX, TAX, TAX, tax the rich, what a joke.

Glad to see that real Americans have realised that Obama is bad for the USA, we do not need a liberal muslim running this country.

McCain 08

August 22, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  15. Glendell Latham

I have joined PUMA but, I was considering voting for Obama because
    McCain is making headway in the polls. Then, I read some of the
    hateful comments on this blog toward my favorite candidate, Hillary
    then I was reminded why I joined PUMA in the first place GO MCCAIN!!!

August 22, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  16. NH Voter

I like McCain better than Obama and Clinton, but with a Obama/Clinton ticket, I would have to vote for it. The only way Obama gets any sort of bump or momentum is if he picks Clinton. If he picks someone else, most people will shrug their shoulders and continue on with their day. If he picks Clinton, people will talk.

August 22, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  17. Bruce

I hope it's a big surprise. I don't see Bayh or Biden as his best picks, particularly if he is advocating change. I am hoping for Caroline Kennedy or Richardson. We'll see what Obama is made of.

August 22, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Proud to be American

Obama will pick the right person and win.... hey folks I have few questions for McSame:
    1) Did he or did he not father that little black girl as Bush team reported in 2000? (YES)
    2) Does he know how many houses does he have? (NO)
    3) Did he lie to Cindy about his age; and got engage to her prior to devorcing his first wife? (YES)
    4) Does he deserve to be President because he was a POW? (NO)
    5) Did he say he will start the draft back up? (YES)
    6) Do he have a terrible temper?(YES)

Yes i answered the questions for you but you can look them up for your self.... McSame shall not be our President as I do not want to see WWIII

August 22, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. Jack Colson

I does not matter who he picks as this is what is going around the USA via E mail, Video and word of mouth:
    Quote from Obama's Book Audacaity of Hope:

QUOTE: " I shall stand with the Muslims should the Policitcal Winds shift ugly".

He's toast.
    Jack C
    Portland OR

August 22, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. Charlie Black

No LIeberman No McCain

McCain '08
    Less Jobs. More Wars.

August 22, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Take Notices

*****TAKE NOTICES*****

-To all those Puma/Hillary supporters that have decided to not vote for Obama or to vote for McCain instead.

– Please note– when it is Hillary turn to run again there are many of others who will NOT vote for her!!!

Not revenge but krama

So all this Hillary08 or 12 – it will never be...and she will only have you to blame.

Also!! For those people voting for McCain, did you all know he is planning on starting back up the DRAFT.... He will get you and your KIDS.......

August 22, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. Latina for Obama...NJ

Ok Nan

OBAMA 08!!

if hillary evers runs for president ,I doubt ,us obama supporters, will vote for her..thanks to your negativity (hillary supporters).

August 22, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. Helen, NY

Brack Obama is a real joke. He is making a big thing for his VP. America has a history. Nobody in our history has made it a big secret and wait until the convention to pick up your running mate. What is so great in picking up the VP. For me VP is nothing. Barack himself has no qualification to be our president so why should he depend on VP. All journalists are after barack for this announcement and on the top he says he made a decision but he does not want to tell us now. Who is he? If you want to be oure president, you need to be open to Ameircna people.

August 22, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. Uncle Fester

Wade – University Student
    Signed up for the draft yet?

August 22, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. Teresa

Take Notices...please don't intimidate me into voting for your destined loser...sorry you got on a sinking boat. Don't blame everyone for the holes in your boat, fix them or sink the boat!!

August 22, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |