August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Democrats Unite & Vote Big

The suspense!.....

Heard of a great idea floating around on several blogs – Go to a McCain event with key rings representing his 8-9 houses and shake them in protest. You could even shake your own keys.

August 22, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  2. JAMES DUCKWORTH

THANK GOD HE WILL NOT SELECT BILLARY CLINTON
    SHE HAS WAY TO MUCH BAGGAGE TO GO ALONG WITH HER
    RANKING PEOPLE AROUND THE CLINTONS HAVE A WAY OF
    BEING FOUND DEAD , WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER KENNEDY

August 22, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  3. Dave in Illinois

With the media's help, the VP selection and announcement process has turned into a carnival sideshow with a new teaser report released every day. It's a good marketing ploy and I guess that part of Obama's new politics, slick marketing campaigns that are full of flash but no substance.

Regardless of who is selected, Obama is still the inexperienced, liberal politician running for President and the VP is just a guy who will get to bang the gavel in the Senate for 4 years and say "Yes Sir, Mr. President, whatever you say, Sir."

August 22, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  4. Neil

Good job Captain Obvious!!

August 22, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  5. Enlightened Voter

Anyone and I mean anyone BUT hillary!

August 22, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  6. lovable liberal

That's a hot story! An anonymous source tells CNN that Obama made phone calls. Not only that, the calls were to unnamed VP short list candidates who were not selected. Oh, my, what a scoop! Obama's polite and does the right thing for his allies.

Could you just let us know when you actually have some news?

August 22, 2008 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  7. TyWebb

Senator Stevens had to decline...too much going on at the moment.

August 22, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  8. NC Resident

Why aren't the newsmedia talking about how Bush is pulling out the troops under Obama's plan.
    How will McCain explain that.

August 22, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  9. Nancy

I am sure he will do the right thing. He knows the pros and cons of every single candidate and I know he is intelligent enough to know who not to pick. I have complete faith in his decision. This man is meant to lead this country. And he will!!!!

O8AMA

August 22, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  10. TangoDancer

I imagine that this has been a difficult process in determing the VP. Good luck senator and future president. Whoever gets selected will undoubtedly be honored to stand at your side to lead the country forward and out of this right-wing inquisition dark age.

August 22, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  11. Bob Indianapolis, IN

Barack,

Jest remember: Good Judgement trumps experience! Exhibit A: Dick Cheney, whose "experience" in the Nixon, Ford and Reagan White Houses turned him into the machiavellian monster that created the imperial presidency that did its best to destroy America, and succeeded beyond bin Laden's wildest dreams...

August 22, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  12. JDC // Ohio

Doesn't matter who Obama selects as his "running mate;" the fact that the Dems are on the WRONG side on the oil-drilling issue (They will not vote for more drilling), seals their fate come November.
    They are too stupid to realize the American people want (and need) oil; it is what keeps our economy humming.
    Pelosi single-handedly is giving McCain a victory in November.
    Thank you, Nancy!!!

August 22, 2008 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  13. Mike

CNN, this is BS. Stop trying to imply that Obama is putting down the VP candidates. I was sucked into the title of this ticker and I will not be fooled again.

I WILL NO LONGER BE LOOKING AT YOUR WEBSITE!!!

August 22, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  14. REPUBLICAN FOR OBAMA

I hope Hillary and Biden were not called.

Either would be great.

August 22, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  15. BOB

DID HE CALL BILL!

August 22, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  16. Ron L

I am REALLY trying to understand WHY this is such a BIG DEAL. To me it is really kind of stupid to spend so much time and energy speculating on who Obama or McCain will pick. Once they make the selections then we are going to have to listen to ALL the GENIUS pundits on whether or not is was a good choice. While at the same time they will tell us we vote of the President not the Vice President. You know what would be a lot more USEFUL>>>
    1) Detailed information on their plans to make Health Care affordable. Including why they may or may not work -not just the cost issues.
    2) A real serious discussion about their different approaches about taxes..And not this five minute crap in which you have one expert say why it will work and another saying why it won't. I mean an detailed 30 minutes to an hour getting into the strengths and weaknesses.
    3) A real open discussion about our shrinking manufacturing base and how they plan to honestly slow down some of the outsourcing or do they even really care.
    I could go on but I believe you understand what I am saying..as I have written many times before..AMERICAS LARGEST OBSTACLE IN BECOME GREATER IS THE MENTAL SMALLNESS IN THE NEWS MEDIA. THEY TREAT US AS IF WE ARE BORDERLINE ILLITERATE. WE DESERVE AND SHOULD DEMAND BETTER.

August 22, 2008 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  17. Miss C

ok

August 22, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  18. Bubba

He called me about 11:30 last night, and I was so drunk I thought it was Ron Paul again. I tell you all like I told both of them, I ain't interested in being the Vice President. Find some other sucker.

August 22, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  19. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Unless you can tell us who got the calls that they didn't make it as VP, don't bother saying anything. There were no hints were there?

August 22, 2008 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  20. anon

How long has it been since the VP pick made a significant difference in an election?

I'll be glad when this Veepstakes is OVER!

August 22, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  21. Robert

I hope HRC got that 3am phone call she always talked about.

August 22, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  22. Open Your 3rd Eye

EVAN BAYH IS A MEMBER OF THE BILDERBERG GROUP!!

THEY HAVE CLOSE TIES TO ILLUMINATI.

CHOOSING HIM WOULD BE A DISASTER!!

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE PLEASE GOOGLE IT!!

JOE BIDEN IS CLEAN FROM WHAT I GATHERED BUT I STILL THINK OBAMA COULD DO BETTER.

August 22, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  23. Emit R Detsaw

Called the runner ups......

..... I didn't get called so guess I am still in the running. ;o)

Great job of stringing on the press. I think he should call a press conference, walk up to the podium, thank everyone for coming, then pull out his blackberry and press the send button. Then leave the stage. ;o)

August 22, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  24. Doris,Memphis, TN

This getting to be silly season.
    Senator just name the person and stop playing games.
    You are getting some bad advice on how to handle this from
    your advisors.

August 22, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  25. Abby

I’m sure it’s a wonderful choice.

August 22, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |