August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Karl Marx

I got one of these calls last night...needless to say I was very disappointed. I will continue to do all I can to get Obama into the White House, however.

August 22, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  2. Carl from MI

This is a story for the Ticker?? CNN, this is pretty lame!! As if this is a controversial topic and needs discussion on the Ticker.

Whomever came up with this story to be entered onto the Ticker should be sent home for the day, and quite possibly fired!!

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  3. Andy Dem in DR via CA & NY

I'm still holding out for Colin Powell, Mike Bloomberg or Bob Wexler. Biden is very problematic with foot-in-mouth disease, Bayh is way to right-of-center for the majority of the party, and Bill Richardson is a mixed bag; but, no way Clinton – waaaay too polarizing as a candidate and much better as Attorney General or Supreme Court. My darkhorse is still Al Gore – as a measure keeping the world's attention on U.S. leadership in global energy security and green initiatives and innovation that will bring about a societal shift towards sustainability. It would be an amazing platform for Gore and solidify the experience factor for Obama. The GOP is still in denial of what economic opportunities exist domestically and abroad by making a quantum policy shift on energy and security. Obama would be smart to bright-line these differences.

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Joe Cheesehead Milwaukee WI

Who let the dogs out (woof, woof, woof, woof)

Had to put this one here since the other one closed.
    Obama and the DEMs are letting us down.

Straight and simple McCain is an elitist and purely dishonest.

I may not know much about being rich with my single mortgage but for McCain to pathetically deflect a question on his home ownership to his staff is beyond reason. Why would his staff know more of what he owns than he does? Clearly he’s able to lie with a straight face. Soon enough McCain will come back and tell us he was joking. We have a joke in the WH so we don’t need another joker in the WH for 4 more years. Obama/DEMs need to get on this “Straight Lie Express” and run it aground. If McCain truly doesn’t know, that makes it even worse because I don’t want someone who doesn’t have a clue what he owns running our country.

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  5. Average, Ordinary Guy

It's gotta be Hillary. She's the only one who will get him any more votes. Without her, he loses!!

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  6. Obama for President

If Obama has to win he has to pick either one of the following 3:

1st choice : Hillary (ignore Bill – I don't like Hillary either)
    2nd choice: Wesley Clark (will make McCain look small)
    3rd choice: Biden

Bayh, Kaine or Sebelius does not do it for him

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  7. Flagg

Obama ... I know all the things that you want and I can give them to you and all you have to do is give me your soul.
    = Randall Flagg

August 22, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  8. Steve R

he did not call me !!!!!!!!

chump

August 22, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. Halloran in Hoboken

Wow CNN -- this story appeared 3 times within you headlines! 3 TIMES and not one McCain story.

I still dont know who I am gonig to vote for and it seems that I wont find ballanced issues and platforms on this site.

August 22, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  10. Michelle

Would you all please just calm down and let this man choose his VP in peace???? I mean every move he makes, you all blast it like it's news or something.....Let the man pick his VP.

August 22, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  11. Rudy NYC

Nice picture.

He looks like he just caught a big fish.

August 22, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  12. W.J. Clinton

ehhhhhhhhh, he didn't call me?

Bill

August 22, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  13. Frank

Ooooooooh!

August 22, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  14. Justice 4 All

I believe that Obama has good judgement, and will pick someone who can really work with him to accomplish the great and positive changes planned.
    It is disappointing that there are those who are so Billary hungry that they can't move past there anger. However, I know that change is hard. I was a Clinton supporter at first, but that did change during the negative primary season. It is time for the Democratic party to unite, and work together to heal our nation.

Honestly, it would be a pleasant surprise if he picked Caroline Kennedy.

Obama / Kennedy 08 and beyond . . .

August 22, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  15. MikeNC

I guess it is time to vote republican :(

August 22, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  16. Obama/??? 08

Fired up...ready to go!!!

August 22, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  17. Spencer

I'm sure the call went something like this: Sorry Hillary, you were on the long list. On top of that, your PUMA's didn't help your cause.

August 22, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  18. Anonymous

Good luck Barack, I hope you will be the next President of the USA

By the way: If John McCain cant tel how much houses he owns, and he has 4, I realy think he have a problem with his short term memory.
    And I think he has and we wil see it in the next few months.

August 22, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  19. John Hussein Karsten

I have not received mine yet, so maybe there is still hope for me....I can't wait to find out who it will be....exciting days ahead.

August 22, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  20. Annie

This cat and mouse game of choosing the VP is getting tedious. Why don't they just all grow up...This is too important a decision for the voters. It will definitely determine whether I will vote at all....

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  21. Bendo

please not Bayh!

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. Credit Card Republicans

Get out the vote come November.The only hope Republicans have is for APATHY. They are out to destroy your hopes and dreams for a better future.

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  23. Ted van Tol

Good luck Barack, I hope you will be the next President of the USA

And I think he has and we wil see it in the next few months.

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  24. pat C.

i sure hope he called the clintons.

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  25. flo crable

Okay...so who's the VP candidate for Obama?

August 22, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |