August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Bill From Florida

I certainly hope he chooses Hillary as VP if he expects to win.
    It dosen't matter that the Obama supporters are bashing her, they
    need to suck it up if they want their boy in the White House.

August 22, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  2. pat vasquez

I hope is Hillary

August 22, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. Linda

At this point I have accepted Obama with all his flaws because he is still the superior choice to McCain. I am an ex-Clinton supporter, and the only way I will not vote for Obama is if he should select Hagel. I cannot and will not vote for an candidate with even the slightest possibility of becoming president (and by this I mean Hagel) who does not support a woman's right to chose. Plus what a slap in the face to women it would be from Obama.

August 22, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  4. energy

Well, the stage is set: My sources tell me that the following were called: Richaron, Nunn, Kaine, Biden, Bahyh, and the KS Governor. That leaves Hillary Clinton as the VP Choice. I guess Obama listened to words of wisdom by winning first. There is no doubt he would have lost the presidency without Hillary. I do not support the Clintons but current events suggest she is the smart choice to VICTORY. At least we can get about 80% of her supporters and WIN!! I can live with that!!

Dean 2016!!

August 22, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  5. Charlotte

Wonder who lost and was chosen?

August 22, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  6. Phyllis/ PA

The only reason Obama is taking so long to announce his VP is because of his drop in the polls. He knows that he needs Hillary to win but he has been hoping that polls would get better so party members would stop pressuring him to pick her.

Hillary for President. Obama for VP. This would give him the opportunity to gain experience that at present he totally lacks.

August 22, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  7. Mark

I will be a bit disappointed if it is Bayh. I have a hard time respecting anyone who was so willing to spout the Clinton campaign's rhetoric, especially when it started to get nasty, and towards the end when it seemed to be denying reality. I want a straight shooter who tells it like it is, which is why I think Biden is the best choice. I guess we'll see soon enough.

August 22, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  8. John in Ohio

Heck with the runner-ups, I want the call from Obama that says who he picked.

I have to hand it to the campaign, they are actually doing a really good job of maintaing interest through the summer doldrums.

August 22, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Amazing news.

August 22, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. RC

Wow! The rebulican bloggers are getting real nasty. No surprise. Thats what they always do when they are behind. Republicans are looking foolish. What I find strange is that the republicans of 50 years ago were actually good. Now they are just the new Nazis under the republican lable. Sometimes I wonder if Dems are no different.
    People say "I like the guy on the right" and "I like the one on the left." And I say "what about the guy in the middle working both puppets."

August 22, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  11. Another Poster - Sacramento, CA

The more ya know?

August 22, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  12. JO-ANN FROM NEW YORK

IT IS NOT GOING TO BE HILLARY....THANK GOD!!!

August 22, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  13. Flagg

I know all the things that you want and I can give them to you and all you have to do is give me your soul.
    Obama = Randall Flagg

August 22, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  14. Jeremy

This guy is obviously so full of himself. Vice Presidential pick is not like a college selection decision. Professorial will not get you anywhere in the electorate. People want someone who can make a decision without hoopla.

August 22, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  15. Ted

Obama will choose Richardson and surprise everyone.

August 22, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  16. Joe Average

His list will also be short lived!

August 22, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  17. NO OBAMA

News Flash..... OBAMA picks VP -- Tony Rezko!!!!!

August 22, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  18. Ryan

my sources tell me that McCain's list is topped by Tinky Winky!

August 22, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  19. R Wolf

I am so excited about this election and about Barack Obama becoming the next President of the United States. He displays dignity, integrity, grace, good judgement and a common sense that we have not seen in the last eight years and what we have not seen, nor ever would, in McCain. Congratulations, Barack Obama, on running a fair, dignified and well run campaign. All the best to you. R. Wolf

August 22, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  20. Bill IN OHIO

To be Denied from the Messiah must be heart wrenching. I hope whomever he told NO will be able to recover................... HOPE just went down the toilet.

August 22, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  21. RJ

I didn't get a call so i guess i'm still in the running.

August 22, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  22. The Main Man in Kentucky

Pick Carol McCain. Maybe John will leave the election like he left her and the kids all alone.

August 22, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  23. Annoyed

This is just stupid. Either tell us who it is, or stop talking about it. I'm tired of all this "I've got a secret" BS. Acting like a five year-old does not make me want to vote for you.

August 22, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  24. Fred Marcano

energy, please reveal your sources

August 22, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  25. hello

If he does not select hillary he is loser.

August 22, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |