August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Dave Barry

He's picked a "booger".

August 22, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  2. watching from the sidelines

Dont forget to call Hillary

August 22, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. janet

if he did not pick Hillary he is even dumber then i think he is and belive me i think he is dumber then a rock,

August 22, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. Another Poster - Sacramento, CA

lol@hillary yeah-that would be Obama's 'voice of change' he has been speaking of throughout his whole campaign (sarcastic). Eh, I really think the Clinton's being anywhere near the White House wouldn't be the 'change' Obama is speaking of- when he is speaking of change.

Please post.

August 22, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. Democrats Rule

I agree with the poster from yesterday who said "I don't care if it's Mickey Mouse". This country can't take four more years of crazy and I'll vote for President Obama no matter what or who is #2!

August 22, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  6. Cathy in MD

Very exciting. He'll make an intelligent choice.

August 22, 2008 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  7. Allison

I too hope it's Hillary – if it is – I will sure put all my support behind Obama.
    If not – I go back to undecided.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  8. Mike

LOL @ energy. You are so full of it. I work in a field office for Obama. Hillary is not the pick, and the "KS Governor" Sebelius is going to be the pick.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  9. jerry

IF Obama has 1/2 a brain and wants to win, he better pick Hillary
    other wise this vote goes for McCain and then for Hillary in 4 years

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  10. deewane

Obama-Hillary sounds like a very wise choice, although I thought she was a miserable . . . you know.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  11. SAB

If Obama wants to really win he should select Hillary and let the chips fall where they may. Then he would he will see a bigger jump in the polls.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  12. William "Hussien" Randolph Hearst

Obama will bring a new civility to American society.

He has not tantalized and teased us with this selection but the 24/7 news machine has been lusting after this information since before June 3rd. Instead of feeding this celebrity fodder, he is saying ...chill.

The early reporting of the congresswoman's death this week is but a recent example of the slide in professionalism. Imagine instead a world where getting information right rather than getting it first is appreciated ... in fact required ... in a journalist?

President Bush promised to fire staff that leaked information to manipulate the press and the American citizentry. Senator Obama doesn't need to make any such promise but walking the walk he is ushering in a new day. Keep bringing dignity and civility back to the public discussion Senator.

Now ... keep pounding the snot out of that dishonorable opportunistic politician McCain.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  13. Tim

Wow, several people now know that will not have to be carrying Obama's halo on his upcoming world tour.

August 22, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  14. Andy

Wonder if he picked another "hate America first" liberal hack.

August 22, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  15. Dave in Illinois

Anybody reading the news these days?

It seems Michelle Obama, as VP of the U of C Medical center praised herself in 2006 for improving ties with minority contractors. One of the ways she did that was to award a half million dollar contract to one of her husband's biggest fundraiser whose company was "invited" to bid on the project.

As people in Chicago and Illinois know all too well, that's how things work here in politics. The politician maintains a superficial appearance of propriety by funnelling kickbacks and paybacks through his spouse and family.

Another great example of the Chicago style politics the nation will enjoy if Obama gets elected is exemplified by Obama's "godfather" in the Illinois Senate, Emil Jones. He announced his retirement this week and since he was already on the November ballot, the Democratic part leaders decided the best replacement was his son, Emil Jones III, who, with only a high school diploma, holds a $60k patronage job doing "community outreach" for our Democratic Governor. Of course, young Emil is only following in the footsteps of Todd Stroger was became President of the County Board after his father admitted after his election last year that he was too debilitated by a stroke to serve.

I hope Obama's VP choice understands how business is done in Chicago politics.

August 22, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  16. kevin from the Peake

Wow...I did not know the republicans were anti-american...but that is what the dems think....

I am so glad to have I chosen to be out of the political mainstream, since both parties want to destroy you for their own gains.

I hope Obama chooses my mom.

August 22, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  17. INDEPENDANT VET

OPAHRA , SHE CAN INFLUIENCE SOME OF THE PUBLIC.

OR EVEN PAIRIS .

August 22, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  18. HSNP

NO HILLARY, NO VOTE!!

August 22, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  19. Spencer

Colin Powell everyone. Although I would like to see him as the Prez, VP is just as good.

August 22, 2008 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  20. JB, Boston

Just get it over with already!

August 22, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. Jane

Barack and Biden sounds way too much like Osama BinLaden.

August 22, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  22. MM

I just hope it is someone interesting and exciting.

August 22, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  23. Matt

What did this story tell us? NOTHING! what a waste of space!

August 22, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  24. Kate, Atlanta

Well, I haven't gotten the "no thanks" call yet – does that mean I'm still in the running?? I still love Joe B. – a man with a sense of humor and wicked smart!!

August 22, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  25. Joe

It's Schweitzer!

Obama is scheduled to be in Billings, Montana next Wednesday... hmm, I wonder why?

Anyone who thinks it's Hillary is deluded.

August 22, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |