August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Election Watcher

So, did he call Hillary at 3am?

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  2. Bulldog

I sure hope that those democrats opposed to Obama get on board after the convention.

Any democrat who votes for John McCain out of bitterness is doing considerable damage to this country. He will undoubtedly take us down the same path as Bush/Cheney and it is very possilbe will provoke a World War III. All he seems to talk about is war. That is his anwser for everything.

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  3. ANGIE

SELIBUS, BIDEN, HAGEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM HOPING!!!!

August 22, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Joe Voter

He just called me. Bummer, I thought i had this one.

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Another Poster - Sacramento, CA

2016?

Who up there is living past today? ha.

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  6. Annie Oakley

"I didn't decide to run for President to start a national crusade for the political reforms I believed in or to run a campaign as if it were some grand act of patriotism. In truth, I wanted to be president because IT HAD BECOME MY AMBITION TO BE PRESIDENT. I was sixty-two years old when I made the decision and I thought it was my one shot at THE PRIZE."

- John McCain, "Worth the Fighting For: A Memoir" (2002)

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  7. Andrew from IL

I am sick and tired of hearing about Obama. Just pick and VP already!!! You are not that special, so stop acting like the world revolves around you. Be the leader that you said you would be, and focus of the issues not how many houses people own.

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. mike

The "chosen one" has made a choice for now. Maybe he does not want to identify his choice in case he wants to flip flop.

August 22, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  9. Marge

I hope HILLARY got the call!!!!
    ((energy)) Stop lying...YOU don't have any sources!!!!

August 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  10. Jeff

To Energy–

I cannot imagine why he would pick Clinton. She has far too much baggage, and her selection would go against everything he's been running on. With Bill in the picture, Obama would risk looking like a third wheel. And I rather doubt that Hillary would accept–why would she relegate herself to a secondary role, when she'd have a much more powerful voice in the Senate? After her history-making run for the office, her mandate in the Senate would be powerful, indeed.

August 22, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  11. Latina from Florida

Even if he chooses Hillary, I would not vote for this man. By the way let me make it clear I'm not a racist.
    Former Democrat now an Independent

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  12. Joyce in Florida

He should pick Hillary Clinton is he thinks he has any chance of winning the nomination. Who knows, maybe the roll-call vote for Hillary will overtake his votes and she will receive the nomination. GO HILLARY!!!!

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  13. PUMA

No Hillary = No Vote from everyone I know.

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  14. EMJ

He tried to call Hillary but her phone has been disconnected for not paying her bill.

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  15. McCrazy

We should let them both be president. Obama can have the US, and McCain can have Iraq-merica.

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  16. Dr. Stoner

I've been undecided about whom to vote for over a year, even more so over the past month. After reading and article about Michelle Obama and David Axelrod and their relation with U.Chicago Med. Ctr., I am convinced at how much the Obama's are infact a fraud. In the article on MSNBC web page, a Washington Post investigation into the Obama's and Axelrod, are infact talking of helping the poor, but infact are racking in alot of money in the process. The corralation with Baracks Senatoral career is also now suspect of influence and the true nature of his self promotion. I urge all readers to check out the article on MSNBC under the politcal heading. I'm now convinced that Obama is a fraud and a self promoting animal that is infact a cover for a SHOW ME THE MONEY we can make a deal period same old political influence peddler only this time he is smooth and articulate.

August 22, 2008 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  17. Mike

I had dinner with an old friend last night. I had not seen him in 2 years. He has never voted republican in 30 years of voting, but is prepared to do so this time around. He says the only way he goes democrat is if Hillary is on the ticket. I think there are a lot of these folks out there and if Obama expects to win there needs to be strategy change and fast.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  18. Garry

Doesn't matter unless it is Hillary. He is not getting my vote. I don't want a wanna be demi god with a halo as President.......................................................................................................................................................................

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  19. CT voter

PUMA crowd is the sickest most selfish crowd I've ever heard of, willing to let their kids suffer for selfish gratification, what low live's.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  20. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Is it just me or is anyone out there still voting for McCain a bit concerned that he just could not remember (senile)?. Its funny how at the Saturday fourum he was answering questions before they were asked. Heck, he even remembered 7 Supreme Court justices that he would not have appointed. But when it came to a simple question as to how many homes you own, you cant remember.

Pathetic......................I think he is beyond senile.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  21. Susan from New York

As a woman I'm willing to give up my womans right and will vote for McCain. I have that right, dont I?

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  22. OS

Why the media is making such a big deal??

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  23. LaShanda

I think it's Hillary. I notice that she doesn't have an event scheduled on Saturday. No one knows Bayh or Kaine. Biden would be great, but I think it would be difficult for anyone to govern with him.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  24. Robert

I know that whoever Obama chooses as VP the two of them will make a great historic pair and will be our best bet to straighten out the political mess the Republicans have made.

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  25. JIM...TX

Let's HOPE it's NOT Hillary! He can win easily with any of the other possibilities. Face it...there's not 18 million REAL HRC supporters anyways so who cares if they cross over to Mc Bush. Can't wait to here all the Repukes slam whomever it is when their nominee is so lame and the VP choice will be too :)

August 22, 2008 09:41 am at 9:41 am |