August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

The hour draws near and the "professor of decision" must conclude his list and make a choice........Choose wisely Obama......it will be the biggest decision you will make in your life......along with the others as President.

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. BOB

i bet billary got the first call

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. Jim

Did one of the calls go out to Hillary?

OBAMA/BAYH

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  4. duke

Hillary or Biden.

Oh and Obama, I graduated from MIT/Harvard. Your argument style and use of language is definitely Cambridge, MA. You have to get rid of that for now. Folk understand short, direct, emotional answers, not the intellectual stuff that we do in Cambridge, where you are taught to argue points, supply supporting information, and to remain unemotional. This style works with the intellects, but Joe Blue Collar has no idea what you are talking about. Simplify the language and get emotional. No, not too emotional because then you will be labeled the "angry black man". Be careful, no one said this was going to be easy.

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. DEMOCRAT

I hope is not Bayh PLEASE!!

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  6. Sam

Here's hoping Biden wasn't on the list..

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. Tony

Hey Barack,

Just announce the name already. Enough of acting like a 16 year old girl with a secret. I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with you everyday.

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. Cliff

Did he call Bill?............wayyyyyyyyy too funny!!!!! Funny like the clown himself is. Can he find someone to offset his ignorance, vanity, presumptuousness? Or can he save the world all by himself?

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  9. CB2

I can't believe that I'm about to say this...but I hope that he choses Hillary Clinton. If not, then Joe Biden is the only other good choice. I like him because he is tough! Just like Hillary...

August 22, 2008 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  10. CC

A decision had to be made and I'm sure hopefuls understood their chances.

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. Tony

It's either Evan Bayh or Joe Biden.

If he doesn't pick Biden he's a fool!

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  12. morgan

I feel bad for whomever he chooses. The Republicans are really only getting started. Whomever it is will be tied to losing in a landslide. Lots of Democrats wanted to vote for John McCain in 2000 over Al Gore but McCain lost out to Bush. Those Dems will go for McCain over Obama even if Hillary is VP... VP for her is just an insult. Obama and the Dems can lie all they want about John McCAin but Dems that aren't first time voters and not brainwashed by KOS and company KNOW BETTER!

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  13. Saad from NJ

CNN, you are not Fox News and I do NOT think you will do anything malicious or evil on purpose but this type of news may sicken some undecided voters and turn them away from Obama. VP news or coverage ten times is fine, even 100 is fine, even 1000 is fine but this has become tooooo much. Just the title, Obama calls veep-runners up is so not cool and turn offish. I really like you and know your intentions unlike Fox News are always good... that's the only reason I am even writing this.

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  14. Maxfield

I have never been so relieved NOT to have the phone ring!

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  15. Cedar Hill

Average, Ordinary Guy
    I agree!! He needs her!! Even if she campaign's for him it will not get the same amount of votes, as if she ran with him. He needs Hillary!

He used the word feisty to describe his VP choose...hmmmm never heard the word feisty use to describe a man.

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  16. LK

Ohio,Florida,Pennsylvania and Michigan. Remember those 4.
    Hillary can really help him there, and probably bring him wins in all 4. Joe Biden and Evan Bayh cannot. Lets face it, Hillary did get more votes than Obama, its only fair to offer her the spot. Imagine if it was reversed the Obama followers would be sreaming and demanding Obama be placed on the ticket.

August 22, 2008 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  17. Maurice

It don't matter who he chooses (excepting for Hilary) as he is going to lose...lose..lose –(former Democrat) - now voting for John Mc Cain

August 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  18. John McShame, Obama Is Going to Tax You & Cindy, but Not Me & 95% Americans Making < $250,000/Yr

Thinking about it now; even though I did not did not Hillary during the democratic primary....it wouldn't hurt Barack to put her in the ticket!

But the choice is all his....my choice is to support the democratic party and it's nominee; Barack Obama!

DEMOCRATS UNITE!!!!!!

NO 4 MORE YEARS OF REPUBLICAN MESS IN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!

August 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  19. danito

They don't know how lucky they are if they didn't get "picked". Now they won't have to share in part of the blame for scatter brain decisions!

August 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  20. Stay tuned, folks!

Talk about a soap opera ... Obama has the news media eating out of his hands. Dangle a carrot and watch the media follow. You go Obama ... you say jump, and the media says how high!

August 22, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. First Time Poster - Portland, OR

All I know from watching Senator Obama's decline in the polls is: He needs Hillary Clinton as his running mate! – She is the only one who can save him from losing with her supporters united behind her. According to his "qualifications" for his VP, Senator Clinton fits the bill precisely.
    I am a diehard Democrat who has never and will never vote Republican but all I can say is that if Senator Obama is not smart enough to choose Senator Clinton as his 2nd in Command, hw does not have either my or my family's vote here in Oregon.
    No, I am not a PUMA nor will I vote for John McCain. – I just will not vote for anyone at all.

August 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  22. Joe in DE

If he does not pick Hilary, he shows poor judgement and lack of self-confidence.

August 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  23. Sam

I'm gonna go count how many houses I own.

August 22, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  24. IM

It took thought and consideration to make his choice but, McCain will use neither. He's straight and simple-minded, as explained in

MeCaint.blogspot.com