August 22nd, 2008

Source: Obama calls Veep runner-ups

Obama has already made his decision, say sources.
Obama has already made his decision, say sources.

(CNN) – Sen. Barack Obama called some people on his short-list for the vice presidential slot Thursday night to tell them he had not selected them as running mate, a highly placed Democratic party source told CNN.

The source did not say which people got the call.

Obama has told some other potential running mates over the last few weeks that he would not be choosing them.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Kenneth M.

Funny to hear "I hope its Clinton" when all we have been hearing is Obama hate from the Clint on supporters. Stop begging. It aint her.

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  2. Vicki Webster

NO, I heard was Michelle Obama. What a night-mar!

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  3. Josh

I really hope it is not Clinton. But even if it is, I am still voting Democrat. Unlike PUMA, I love my country.

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  4. Rave

This shows how deep he is into picking a running mate for VP.
    Good, that shows his committment and judgement in making such an important decision, while that rat (McPain) is waiting on Mr.Obama's decision to decide his running mate.
    I am already feeling safe about having Mr.Obama as the President
    For me, God is the One, Obama is God's desciple, McPain is Satan's desciple
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

August 22, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  5. Ryan

If its not Biden I'll eat my hat.

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. Ted

Hillary doesn't want to attach her name and reputation to this sinking ship. She's glad it's not her so she can run against McCain in 2012.

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  7. Matt

He didn't call me, so I'm still hopeful :-)

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  8. totally_offbase

My money's on Kaine. A busy Presidential candidate does not stop by your office just to "thank your staff for all their hard work". I think Obama telegraphed his choice when he stopped by.

Not Hillary. Never Hillary. And I'm a woman.

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  9. End the madness

I seen Hillary down on the corner with a sign and some pencils in a cup. She said she got the call.

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. Marilyn

I'm sure these people getting the calls are delighted that they will not be a part of this disastrous ticket!

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  11. Clifton in oregon

i know somebody... who knows somebody... who met with somebody who told me he was going to choose kathleen sebelius!!! I am so very serious!!! but in all honesty i think that would be the best pick!!!

August 22, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. LISA

His only ticket to be the winner this November is Hillary

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  13. zack,new york, ny

Surprise! it's John McCain!

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  14. Anthony

I'm rooting for Biden, but I'm not sure that he'll actually garner any more votes for the ticket.

As much as I hate to admit it – Clinton seems like a smart choice.

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  15. Matt, Manchester, CT

Regardless of letting down easily those "Almost Veep Nominees," the call will still be easier than the concession call he'll make in November to Senator McCain!

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  16. Chuck

The guys and gals who weren't selected to be his running mate got their bad news. The person he selects for his VP will also get the bad news that they were selected.

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  17. SUE IN CT

Obama/Bayh Bye? I hope not. Should be Biden – no other way.

August 22, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  18. Morgan

Looks like the "press pool" will be working the weekend. At least we'll get a break from all the nasty McCain tactics. Not that he wont be doing slimy things but I'll bet journalists will be more interested in Obama news. I know I am.

August 22, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  19. Christal

Ok. I am getting really tired of hearing about the people that are going to be in charge of this great big country not picking a running mate. If they can not make this decision maybe we need to find two new canidates to run for President for the most powerful country in the world. Come guys are you men or little boys? Lets get on with selecting someone. This is getting ridiculous.

August 22, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  20. Teresa

The drama continues...The Days of Obama's Lives. Again DOESN'T matter because a good portion of POSSIBLE support goes with any decision he makes. Can we start over?

August 22, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  21. Mark - MN

Can Barry drag this out any further....sheesh. Hasn't he heard the story of the Boy who cried Wolf?

August 22, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  22. TD from SD

I accept the nomination

August 22, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  23. Jean, Indiana

I hope he made that 3:00 AM call . . . .

August 22, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  24. Emily from Fredericksburg

If it's Bill Richardson from Texas..... boy did he screw up.....!
    Of course, that was Richardson's agenda all along..... He's probably got his own VP seal, with a Mexican Flag, much like Barack.... with his special seal.... And natch, he'd prefer to sing some other anthem as well.... sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad, sad. On a more serious note, the wrong choice will mean McCain wins.....
    and sometimes, karma just gets you back.

August 22, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  25. Mark

I wonder if he called Hillary at 3 a.m.

August 22, 2008 09:51 am at 9:51 am |