August 22nd, 2008

The focus narrows on one man

ALT TEXT

It increasingly appears Barack Obama will name Joe Biden as his running mate. (Getty Images)

(CNN) - As his major competitors slipped out of contention late Friday night, Senator Joe Biden of Delaware emerged as the top remaining contender for the Democratic vice presidential nomination.

Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, Indiana Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana and Senator Hillary Clinton of New York - presumptive nominee Barack Obama's main primary season rival – have all been informed that they will not be the Illinois senator's running mate, sources tell CNN.

Neither Biden – a 1988 presidential candidate – nor Obama's campaign has commented on whether or not he has been asked to join the Democratic ticket. An official announcement of Obama's final pick is expected within hours.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. OBSERVERING

P O O P I E--B I D E N ? ? ? ? ?

Y O U" V E-–G O T--T O -–B E--–K I D D I N G

August 23, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  2. Jeanne Beans

Great! When it comes down to it, the president and v-p need to run a country, not satisfy a bunch of females. Clinton IS and SHOULD be out (did they really think she had ANY chance?), and Biden is the most qualified.

August 23, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  3. Who Cares?

Biden will become Obama's father figure and train him. Funny that Biden voted for the war and has been in Washington for over 20 years. He's part of the old Washington politics that Obama swore he would avoid. LOL.

August 23, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  4. US abolishes centuries old clinton dynasty

YES it is him

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhh

NO MORE CLINTONS THE US MAKES HISTORY AGAINST ALL ODDS

he and Obama and their admnistration and us the people of this country will bring back the old good US

Obama /Biden

August 23, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  5. Anonymous

OBAMA/BIDEN 08!!

August 23, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  6. Vince Los Angeles

This would be a FANTASTIC pick...MUCH better than Hillary!! Even PUMA people can't argue with this one!

August 23, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  7. Tom

Good pick if Biden is the one. Biden and Richardson were my two favorites of the Democratic candidates in the primaries, so this Obama voter is happy. Very glad I didn't sign up for the Hear it First (well, first after millions upon millions of others) text message and won't subsequently get 10 million calls to my cell phone between now and November! Hillary fans, your candidate lost fair and square. Get over your disappointment and make your choice based on the ISSUES, not some vindictive act against the candidate who beat yours.

August 23, 2008 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  8. ricardo williams

I wish Biden is the pick. What a remarkable man he is. Great achievements and yet so humble. So what if he is outspoken. I am outspoken. I'm not afraid to tell the truth and a leader needs someone who could tell him he screwed up if he did. Stop the hypocricy and let's get the job done. Great choice Obama if its true.

August 23, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  9. Toni

Brace yourselves for the die-hard Hillary supporters and their whining. Those are some SOUR grapes.

August 23, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  10. wilma

Yesss! I can't wait to see the announcement tomorrow
    Obama/Biden we're gonna win!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  11. nv2008

Are you all insane? I think we just lost the election. It's not about "a bunch of women" it's about millions of votes.

August 23, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  12. DAVID DISBROW

Bidens a good pick but he is old washington , O needs to break the mold and reform goverment. Insiders won't let that happen.

McCain wins!!

August 23, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  13. Steve

This is awesome; Biden is the best, most qualified candidate. Coming out of the primary debates, Joe was my first choice of who I was going to vote for pres. Because of Joe being added to the Obama ticket, not only will I vote for him, I'm going to volunteer for the campaign.

Obama/Biden '08!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  14. Voting for Obama

Obama/Biden 2008!!!!

No more sorry republicans!

August 23, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  15. BlackMan4Mac

Biden??? HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

This is going to be child's play for McCain

August 23, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  16. He "needed" Hillary - Deb in Texas

I respect Joe Biden only because he once told the media that Obama was needing on the job training, and he voted for the Iraq War, same as Hillary. He was thinking of our safety not being a follower as Obama is. All I see is another Bush and Cheney.....same old politics for someone who preaches "Change" Come on people wake up and see the pattern......Obama is nothing but an arrogant, cocky person, just like Bush was.

I was life long Democrat, now changing to Independent. Never will I support the DNC again. They sabotaged the chance of us having a brilliant, intellegent experience candidate like Hillary, and I won't ever forget that. Hillary supporter with many others in coalition who will now vote for McCain.

For those who think we should be unified...thank Obama for not having picked Hillary. McCain is not another Bush, his a sincere and experienced candidate. The Supreme Court decision is not a vital issue over our protection, and ONLY McCain can do that.

Stop calling Hillary supporters pathetic, we are entitled to our own vote and our own choice. We owe nothing to a party who betrayed us.

August 23, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  17. Patriot

Scoring the Votes

He said that he had "a perfect voting record from organizations like the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion." But we called both of those groups, and they told us they don't even release congressional scorecards. In fact, the American Legion's constitution prohibits it.

The veteran in this exchange was also wrong in saying McCain doesn't have a perfect voting record with the VFW (since such a record doesn't even exist). However, he is correct in that McCain doesn’t have a perfect score with DAV (Disabled American Veterans), a group of 1.3 million disabled veterans that supports more funding for veterans health care. McCain has a 20 percent record of voting the way DAV would like him to in 2006. The group is nonpartisan, but its 100 percent rankings disproportionately go to Democrats: 207 Democrats in Congress and only 13 Republicans received scores of 100 percent in 2006. Senators were evaluated on five votes for amendments that would have increased funding for veterans’ health care.

August 23, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  18. Stevo

Biden is the worst choice "O" could have made! Seriously have you people seen his record? Have you seen him at the podium in debates? He had a chance to strengthen his candidacy, mark my words...he has weakened it!

If Obama is "Change" then he should have picked a contemporary and a balance to his partial birth abortion beliefs with a little foreign policy experience too. i.e. Time Kane or Bill Richardson. Certainly someone who is less dyed in the wool politician.

Did he really think that picking the oldest guy was the best way to counter McCains age/experience?

August 23, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  19. Obama/Biden '08

This really excites me. I love Biden, I love Obama. So this is GREAT news for me. I agree wholeheartedly with Obama's choice. An Obama/Biden ticket is a strong and impressive one and one that has my vote.

August 23, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  20. Chris, Antioch, CA

Dear John McCain,

Please choose Mitt Romney. Please choose Mitt Romney. I'm begging you; I'd pay to watch that debate. Biden would eat his lunch. Oh the humantiy...

August 23, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  21. Obama/Biden '08

This is GREAT news. I love Biden. I love Obama. I agree wholeheartedly with Obama's choice. An Obama/Biden ticket is quite a strong and impressive one and one that has my vote.

August 23, 2008 02:28 am at 2:28 am |
  22. K

Ok very slow moderator dudes let me break it down for you!!!!!
    Biden is a perpetual candidate. Your piece made it sound like he was the nominee. He always is and will be an also ran, just like in this cycle. Feel me now?

August 23, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  23. Obama/Biden '08

This is great news. I love Biden. I love Obama. I agree wholeheartedly with Obama's choice. An Obama/Biden ticket
    is quite a strong and impressive one and one that has my vote.

August 23, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  24. Just curious

So what some of you are saying is that Biden is more qualified to run this country than Obama? LOL A father figure and will train him? Geez... Granted Biden has over 3 decades of expirence and Obama has like what? Maybe 200 days now in office. I know for one I sure would hate to turn the keys over to our country in a time like this to a man that has little or no expirence but sure does talk a mean game.

August 23, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  25. Obama/Biden '08

Yea! This is GREAT news! I love Biden. I love Obama. I agree wholeheartedly with Obama's choice. An Obama/Biden ticket is quite a strong and impressive one and one that has my vote.

August 23, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |