August 23rd, 2008

Awaiting Biden

ALT TEXT

A crowd has gathered outside Sen. Biden's home. Watch for yourself on CNN.com/live!

(CNN) – A large crowd has gathered outside Joe Biden's Delaware home awaiting a glimpse of the newly-named Democratic VP candidate.

A motorcade is expected to take Biden and his family to a nearby airport shortly. Biden and Obama will appear together in Springfield, Illinois at 3 p.m. ET.

Stakeout Joe Biden on CNN.com/live

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Joe Biden
  1. Mark

So much for change? Obama is the superficial puppet of the liberal Democrats – not much different than the superficial Georgy puppet of the conservatives. When will the politicians get it? It's not about power – it truly is about change – but Obama doesn't seem to really believe his own words – otherwise, he wouldn't selected a candidate who would have surprised all of us – Gov Sebelius, or Kaine, even Clinton would have been a much needed shot of surprising air.

In my mind, a Biden selection means Obama doesn't have the goods and needs an entrenched politician to shore up his weakness – it confirms we'll just have more of the same for the next 4 years.

I'm a Democrat but I think I might just sit out this election year... I'm not impressed with either candidate.

August 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. Yawdie

I have always, up until now that is, have great respect for the American political process. I come from a country that there were soldiers and police and polling stations just so that some brave people could go cast their votes.

I have been reading the news stories and the blogs and I have been really disgusted at the childish comments of the bloggers on both sides of the fence and also at some of the reporting.

Truly, this is not the process that I looked so forward to be a part of. I guess all that glitters is not gold!

Thanks a lot, American Voters.

August 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Independent, Georgia

Love it. The "no experience" whine can stop now. The "too intellectual" can stop now. Go Obama/Biden!

August 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. RAFAEL

i think women will be very mad now, and will vote for ma cain , this was a very stupid move . who the hell is biden......

August 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  5. lantigua

I was truly hoping he choose hillary. I think they would have been stopable. I think the democratic party would have been incredibly energize and unstopable.
    Its a shame, and i truly hope he makes it. I dont want another republican for 4 years. I think he lost about 5 million votes with this move.

August 23, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  6. SaveTheDramaFoObamasMama

what a joke of a ticket.

August 23, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. judy

Thrilled it is Biden, happy it is not Hillary!

August 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. LS

3 a.m. – that's funny how they made their point across.

:o})

Obama/Biden 08'

August 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. La Jolla, California

The 3 am text message to notify his supporters of his choice of a white male who voted for the war was nothing more than a giant slap to woman who supported Hillary. McCain/Whomever 08.

August 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. Frank from Peterborough

Still waiting for the McCain campaign to talk about their policies and programs not foolish plagurized stories like a cross in the dirt.

If the Republicans are going to rely solely on attacking Obama the electorate will slowly catch on and abandon them. Well not all there will still be the extremists who won't let go regardless of how detrimental the wrong choice will be for them and their country.

August 23, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Howie

extremely disapointed, how could you select someone who couldn't get any delegates in the primary??????? BAD CHOICE

August 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  12. Erika, KS

Bad choice. Turns out, Obama went for no change at all in this selection. Guess he's been lying all along with this "change you can believe in" mantra. What a joke.

August 23, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  13. Change or An Obvious Lack of Confidence?

Obama's decision once again confirms the hypocrisy of his campaign rhetoric. This decision to pick another good old boy from capital hill is politics as usual. This has always been my problem with Obama. He doesn't have a history of change yet has managed to manipulate millions of naive HOPEfuls into believing that HE will somehow be different.

This isn't change. This is about an man who simply isn't ready to run this country. So he masterfully taps into the American pysche and picks a powerful yet empty SLOGAN to draw attention away from the obvious. This is just one of many episodes we'll watch over the next few months. Say and Do whatever you need to get yourself elected – Change or politics as usual?

August 23, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  14. TrueBlue

Biden is a foolish pick.

Biden is another SENATOR!! Biden is from New England, Obama has no problems in that region.
    Biden fits only 2 criteria.....Older and VERY white.
    Biden brings very little to the ticket.

All in all, a bad judgement and a poor pick.

3rd party 08 !!
    Clinton 2012 !

August 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. Ronda

Excellent choice!

I love the fact that Obama had the American people involved. He wanted us to know his decision before the media.
    That's putting your country FIRST!

Obama runs a very disciplined campaign. He might not have much exerience, however, his judgment is on the money!

And as for Hillary, I think she is better for our health care issues. I think she can use her experience with that part of the Obama administration. That position is better suited for her.
    Just my opinion.

August 23, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  16. Glory be to God

I know exactly why he chose biden. It is simply because he does not want to agree with his VP all the time he likes to be challenged on issues. It helps him make the best decision.

August 23, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. Repubs in 08

Fellow republicans,

all we need do now is continue to attack Hillary and keep their base divided.

There are plenty of not-so-bright Obama supporters out there who will help us too with their anti-Hillary rhetoric., haha, can't believe they're so dumb but I guess they are

So let the anti-Hillary attacks commence. Split the Dems and keep the white house.. this will be fun :))

August 23, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Cindy

So much for Change, huh? The inevitable has happened - Obama's message has always been hype, and has always had the depth of a bottle cap. Now that the message has to be fleshed out, we've gotta bring on someone who actually knows what he's doing. Obama's just a figure head and needs someone of substance to bring the knowledge and experience to the ticket. Not too different from Bush/Cheney in that way, is it?

August 23, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. Mrs. C

I am a gray haired old lady who was a Hillary supporter, and now an Obama Supporter.....now with Biden, all I can say is (like my granddaughter would say) Obama & Biden ROCK!

August 23, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Kur25

I am glad he chose Biden instead of Hillary. For those who will not be voting for O for not choosing HRC that is fine. However if she runs again in 2012 she have problems getting O's supporters and the AA vote. She will lose even worse in 2012 thanks to her supporters that cannot pay off her campaign debt.

August 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. Larry Buchas

God Bless the Delaware public for their enthusiasm and support. Joe Biden is a true patroit and balances the ticket.

This is another golden moment for this historic campaign. We have an opportunity to reclaim America's greatness.

August 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. sandra-california

BIDEN TALKING TO MCCAIN THATS WHY HIS RUNNING LATE TWO MEN WITH EXEPERIENCE SOMETHING OBAMA LACKS!! MCCAIN 08!

August 23, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  23. Deep Gupta

I am a Democrat. I used to like Biden in 70's. I am disappinted at the selection. I was hoping for a change. We were planning to vote for a change. Obama's pick does not signify change. It is backward. Biden's actions and comments have shown his frustration, his anger, his arrogance, and some times ' shows he is a "Wiseguy". The pick shows OBama is NOT confident in his own "Change" theory. Biden represents past not future.

Again, I like Biden, but disappointed in O'Bama's first decision. I have to think and make a good decision. At this point I am NOT convinced to support "O".

August 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. Motov8n

This excitement will last longer tthan they're predicting. The #UNO pick. Welcome V.P. Biden!!!!

August 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  25. Latinos for Obama/Biden

Panamanian McCain =

POST TRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER (unresolved).

McCain is dangerous, very dangerous for America!

Only an Obama/Biden ticket can bring dignity back to the White House which will once again be "The People's House!"

August 23, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |