August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Pat F

A direct hit! We're taking on water, sir!

August 23, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Jose Rodriguez

Not a good pick from Obama. If elected I can see them discussing constitutional gibberish in the Oval Office. None has any experience governing. They are both great legislators wasting their time trying to govern this country. I predict this combo will not be a success. I wish Obama had picked someone who was a moderate with some governing experience.

Biden may not hurt Obama’s candidacy but will not help him either. I am an independent voter who was really interested in Obama’s pick and was a bit disappointed with it. He could have done better.

Jose

August 23, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. terry

Just look at all of you Obama supporters going into a defensive posture so quickly! It's really kind of interesting to watch! The polls show this race to be a dead heat and you are all so afraid now that you know who your ticket is that you find yourselves defending every comment or suggestion of a republican strategy...in the 1st hour.
    Elections, like chess, win with offense – not defense. Not one word here about Biden being a good choice – and he is! He adds experience to a candidate that has none....but you better be careful now with talking about Washington 'insiders' – Joe Biden is the guy who opens the door when others want to come inside!

August 23, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Bob (Illinois)

Oh, come on CNN. The link to this article says "Ad shows Biden slamming Obama". "Slamming" Obama. Why don't you get some decent (not to mention accurate!) link creators. Slamming, indeed.

Stop the sensational garbage and concentrate on being accurate!

August 23, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Larry Braverman

McCain '08 for Hillary '12 August 23rd, 2008 9:28 am ET

GO JOHN

BIG MAC ATTACK!!!!! YES!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Hit Bam Bam where it hurts – (kinda hard to hit an empty suit, though….)

You have my vote in November Big Mac

Understand why

The ONLY reason is so that I can vote for Hillary in 2012

I never thought I'd vote for a Republican, but this time I will

I'll take experience over rhetoric and celebrity-worship AND RACE-CARD PLAYING

Apparently the person who wrote this is confused. He/she wants McCain now and the complete opposite of McCain in 2012. How about the issues, my friend? Want a Supreme Court that will put us back to the 19th century or how about some more wars? Maybe if you lose your home you can live in one of McCain's. Experience is one thing, not knowing how many homes you own or what kind of car you drive is another.

August 23, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Josh

Biden is a puzzle piece for Obama and nothing more. Obama lacks experience so pick someone with experience, Obama is young and so pick someone who is older, Obama is a minority so pick someone who is white, Obama is an empty suit so pick someone who is... wait... never mind...

More word play from libs and still no meaningful dialogue... Sad.

August 23, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  7. c-span junkie

the only thing I will say is I can understand Biden being very qualified and thats what we need WHY is the ticket not Biden/ Obama. What this does tell me is that Obama needs help because he is so inexperienced I guess its not what you do its how you can GAME the poltical system that gets you elected. Next time I go to the doctor perhaps I should ask the doctor ok you graduated collage what were your grades anyway???

Obama/Biden I don't know yet

August 23, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  8. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Things get said in primaries. Big deal.This will go both ways when Romney gets picked.

August 23, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. Truth Hurts from Liberty Island ; )

JUST WAIT FOR JOSEPH TO HIT BACK.!!!
    I WOULD JUST RUN A TAPE WHERE WcCAIN MENTIONS
    THE DRAFT.GAME OVER!

August 23, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  10. TexasTami

Change? Joe Biden is CHANGE? B.H. Obama uses words that are too big for him. This isn't CHANGE! This is the same ol' politics. He picked an old Washinton crony who's the same ol' same ol'. OSame-O talks out of both sides of his mouth and I'm very disappointed that he didn't choose Hillary.

August 23, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. CB

McCain will do or say anything to win. His AMBITION is to be President.

August 23, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  12. MO Voter

McCain '08 for Hillary '12 August 23rd, 2008 9:28 am ET

GO JOHN

BIG MAC ATTACK!!!!! YES!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!

You have my vote in November Big Mac

The ONLY reason is so that I can vote for Hillary in 2012

I never thought I'd vote for a Republican, but this time I will

I'll take experience over rhetoric and celebrity-worship AND RACE-CARD PLAYING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -----------------------------

So genius that means in 2012 you would also have to vote McCain since he has more experience than Clinton and Clinton has been known to play the " i'm a girl" card. Brilliant!!!

August 23, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. tim

Let's nominate Mrs. Clinton. It's true Biden can't even support
    the Obama hot air machine.

August 23, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. Wise young elder

If McCain picks a female to be his running mate, Barack will lose for sure. Biden is not exciting at all, and he dulls down the "change" platform for me.

I have to say that I'm really disappointed- was hoping for a better, more galvanizing choice.

Oh well (sigh).. I'll most likely vote for Obama anyway... but it does open my mind to the possibility of voting for McCain (I can't believe I just said that!) depending on who he picks as his running mate.

August 23, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. wanbligi

Of course things are said in the Presidential primary by potential Presidential candidates in both the Democratic and Republican parties. Congratulations to Senator Barack Obama for selecting Senator Joe Biden as his VP running mate. And remember now Hillary Clinton took herself out of the VP contention by wanting to be placed in nomination for President at the DNC in Denver.

Hillary can now focus her positive supporting and campaigning now for Obama/Biden ticket.

Now watch John McCain ordering boxes upon boxes of his personal "DEPENDS" for his general campaign that just now got another shock of its life.

All I can say is WOW this is tremendous.

Thanks.

Obama/Biden 08

August 23, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. John

Seven homes for only one dwarf ... Tax breaks for big oil ... A health care system that doesn't change much ... An unclear energy plan, except attacks ... 10 billion to Iraq a month (Republican form of welfare) ... A 95% George W. Bush voting record

I live in a swing state (New Mexico) and I have to be honest; Obama's ads are working and more effectively too.

Obama-Biden 2008 and 2012!

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. snappa

Joe Biden did very poorly in the primaries that he quit before the races even started, he comes from a northern liberal state and has been a Washington insider for YEARS, this is change?

Sorry, Obama but I cannot support your decision on this matter you were going to be a historic candidate with a historic running mate and you blew it on your choice. I will either write in Hillary or throw my support to Ralph Nader of all people. I cannot begin to imagine myself voting for McCain in any case.

I hope something dramatic happens at the convention now that Hillary's name will be placed in nomination, an upset seems like the only thing that can save the democratic ticket at this point.

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Cindy

Senator Obama have you lost your mind? He may be experienced in foreign affairs but he has a loaded sack of trash behind him called plagairism.
    Why do you think no one thought Sen. Biden to be a good Presidential candidate on his own merit?

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. Michele

Is this all they got???!!!! Poor McSame! Maybe TMZ can help them with their he said...she said ads. Boring!

Go O'Biden 2008!!

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. W.J. Davis

The media did not seem to get Obama's 3 a.m. email. Think back to Clinton's comment earlier this year-what will you do when the phone rings at 3:00 a.m.? I LOVE IT!!! Score one for Obama-Biden ticket!!!

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. Greg FL.

McCain 08 for Hillary 12, do you honestly think hillary has a shot in 12 if Obama loses? If Obama loses it will be in no small part, because of Hillary. Do you think we will forget that fact? She will never get the nomination, because of the cheap dirty tactics she used in this election cycle. So forget 12. You better worry about what McCain will do in the next 4 years if elected.

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. Watch Your Back Mac

McCain's opening the door for Biden to level him. He's already feeling threatened. McCain is just another Bush and this country can't afford any more wasted Bush non-economics...gimme gimme gimme. These people care about no one but themselves and McCain's POW background is not going to help him here. The gloves are definitely off! Take it to them Biden. I am so waiting for that debate because you can't play the games and run the ads on Biden that you did on Obama. He won't take your crap.

August 23, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  23. PUMA Vision?

Come now McSurge Camp. Biden was competing against Obama! What was he to say about this unexpected "Dynamo"?

As for these so called PUMAs, if they vote for McCain and Obama loses, do they think Obama's 18 million will vote for Clinton in 2012? If this happens, the backlash will be so huge that Clinton will have to drop out before Super Tuesday. Grow up people!

August 23, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  24. Nando, Florida

Mccain and the PUMA tweeds are toast when BIDEN tears into MCCAIN and COUNTRY CLUB ROMNEY . Obama will win by a landslide.

August 23, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. RAY

Sha "Only A Fool Runs A Race To Lose" McCain 2000 Anyone?

August 23, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |