August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Kuq

OBADEN!!!! HAS A NICE RING TO IT!!!! I CAN HEAR THE CHANTS NOW... OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!! OBADEN!!!

August 23, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Brenda Hills

Pathetic.
    McRomBush will toss any sort of slim in their desperate attempt smear Obama and Biden.
    Oh and as for McCain'08 for Hillary '12, your thinking is so lame it is even funny !
    Voting Republican over a Democrat when you are a so called Democrat. You are nothing but a traitor.

August 23, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. Mark

I take Obama will do anything to lose this election to McCain.

How pathetic.

August 23, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. Chris in CA

I cannot wait for the Mitt "Captain Underpants" ads to run.

I do not think a VP that basis his beliefs on wearing magic underpants - as the Mormons do - will survive campaigning...

August 23, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. Lee from Maine

Just another example of a candidate who, lacking anything different or positive to say about his own campaign and policies, can do nothing other than find old footage to continue his insultingly negative approach. Come on John, get out of the gutter and play nice.

August 23, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. Phil Newton from Murphy, Oregon

Predictable.

OBAMA 08

August 23, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Chris In California

This is the FIRST time I have ever wanted my own Party to lose. I was just going to write-in Hillary's name, but now I have decided to vote for McCain. I like Joe Biden, but I do not think he makes up the remainder of this ticket. There is a LOT to make up, too, because Obama doesn't have a whole lot to offer. What poor judgement the leadership in the DNC have demonstrated! We are going to lose the White House – AGAIN!

August 23, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Shannon

Joe Biden is a great man, and he was my first choice for President. I'm so sad that he has teamed up with this lame candidate. The only way Obama could get the nomination was to label his opponent a racist, and to play sexist games, that demeaned women. Joe Biden is better than that, and his comments about Obama were right on. I'm going to listen to Joe, and not vote for Obama, the wannabe ROCK STAR!

August 23, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  9. Gail, NC

BO=O/B
    Barack Obama = Obama/Biden

OBAMA
    +BIDEN = VICTORY

August 23, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. Independent

The Bush-Biden bankruptcy bill is one of the worst laws ever enacted by Congress. It shifted the risk from predatory lenders to their hapless victims, and now we're all paying the price for the reckless lending that it encouraged.

To his credit, Obama stood up to the lending lobby, on behalf of ordinary citizens, and voted NO. McCain voted for the predatory lenders as well.

The difference could not be clearer. Obama voted for us. Even when he knew he would be burning bridges with powerful special interests who would bankroll his opponents to the hilt.

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  11. JIM CO

I watched cnn during the gulf war when it was truly all about real news all around the globe. Your continually running of Mccains new attack ad clearly shows a bais towards his campaign. This will be my last post on cnn. Moderate this all you want but my news will come from MSNBC, KEITH OLBERMAN

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. Russell

Just wait to see the replay if McCain picks Romney!

There wont be any kisses!

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. Nugget texas

Duh...Biden was running for President and trying to win. This McShame strategy is a waste of money. It's easy to bring up this sort of footage; McShame's camp should be careful.
    OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. arsben jennings

joe biden was an excellent choice for obama. as an african american obama just did not choose joe biden to shore up his foreign affairs credentials but also to give white america a good reason to vote for him. that was extremely smart on obama's perspective. the only complaint that i have is the timing of the announcement if obama had made the announcement on monday he would have gotten a bounce to counter attack john mccain's surge that he was getting from saddleback with rick warren.

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  15. Thompson

Is McCain ready to be president? I don't think so... All he talks about is that stupid war the republican got us into. God forbid the war hadn't happened, McCain would have nothing to talk about. That's his entire speech, the only leg he has to stand on. What about this country and it's problems?

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. barackobama4prez

So glad he didn't pick HRC....we'd be getting ads every day using her words against the nominee.

August 23, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. dharmas

Mc Cain has changed from an independent thinker to a Bush supporter

may be Biden has come to trust Obama's abilities.
    sorry Mcain
    Obama Biden you cannot beat

August 23, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  18. mollygonz

Just get it over with. You know they are going to pull out every ugly word Joe Biden said about Obama and play it over and over. Just let the Repugs get it out. You know this is nothing compared to if John McSame picks Romney for his VP. They will be sorry. There is so much negative stuff that Romney said about McCain. It will come back to them. We will have our say when McSame picks his VP. What they really should worry about is that Biden is an attack dog and will prevail against anyone in a debate.

August 23, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  19. Kyle, MI ... former Democrat, now Independent

As a Clinton supporter I feel like I have been thrown to the curb and left for dead. I never thought that it would come to this but I can't vote for McCain and I have reason whatsoever to vote for Obama. I guess for the first time in my life I wont vote for president. This is awful... what has our country come to?

August 23, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. Lorna, NY

I cannot wait for the debates!

August 23, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. dems are screwed

WHY WHY would we pick Biden?????

This guy is a slime ball.

Wheres the CHANGE?????

August 23, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. t

I can't wait to see if McCain picks Romney. Go back and read the articles and watch the tape of those two. It was a veritable hate fest. Those two can't stand each other and it's obvious. What Biden said is barely a blip compared to those two. What does it say that McCain's best choice is a man he hates. He should pick Pawlenty. He's safe, young and he doesn't hate the man. Evangelicals have also stated quite clearly that they don't want Mitt and they dont' want Lieberman and they don't want Ridge. That leaves Pawlenty.

August 23, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  23. Herman in LA

John,

You said it the best...

Haven anyone noticed that CNN always put the links to John McCain ad's in their tickers but never Obama ad links, I always have to search for Obama TV ads.

August 23, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Steve

Communist News Network.

Wow! I've always believed CNN's audience must have been one sided but the comments make it a whole lot worse than I ever imagined. So much for objective media.

August 23, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  25. Kelly in FL

Big Deal. Only an idiot would think this means anything.

August 23, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |