August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Delay man

I see McCain is using Karl Roves playbook. Republicans are using rovian tactics.

August 23, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  2. dem

Obviously the ticket should be Biden/Obama not Obama/Biden if anything.

I am not sure when the American people are going to wake up and see the absolute lack of substance in BHO's speeches. We need change is all he has been saying.

This will be fun though as we watch these two bungle up the best chance the democrats had to win the white house in years.

I wonder why no one is questoning the fact that just two days ago Biden said to reporters out of the window of his car that he was "not the guy". Is this kind of blatant lying acceptable? Biden said in 2007 that he would not accept a vp slot, that can be excused as a change in mind but did he change his mind in 36 hours from the time he said he wasn't the guy until now? That is just unadulterated deception and should raise serious questions about his honesty and morals. The whole vp suspense was idiotic but the media kept it gong all day yesterday and fed the frenzy. How immature, BHO says I have decided but I am not going to tell you, na,na, na,na.

Hill in '12

August 23, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Scott Lozano

Less than 2-3 hours after he is confirmed as the nominee they already run a negative ad against him? To quote McCain in 2000 " I want the presidency in the best way, not the worst way" Seems that standard has gone out the window.

August 23, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  4. Tom

Well, did not come off as a surprise to me, but after doing some background reading on Biden, I think in my opinion, for once I agree with Paul Begala, that you look back at progressive administrations from Kennedy down to Bush #43, Presidents tend to pick insiders. I just think Clinton would of been good, but brings too much baggage to be a VP, I however think she may play some role, if Obama gets elected, may play some role in Obama's Cabinet. I think its great that Biden got picked. It is probally the best chance that Obama has to make his case he is ready to lead the country. All good leaders need advice and help from people more expierienced. I still think its going to be a close one. I just hope people have wised up and have seen past McCain's lies and false promises, him and his party. I used to be hardcore Republican till Bush screwed things up and insisted on playing his war games in Iraq. So thats why I switched to being a Independent. I am willing to give the Democrats the shot they need to regain control the white house, but like the GOP, if they screw it up, I vote em out, but I am confident in my heart that Obama and Biden are good people who have good intentions and I really think these are the two we need to get into the white house and turn things around. What a year this is going to be. History in the making.

August 23, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  5. Donna

So, he's honored to run against John McCain, and he now thinks Obama is ready to be president.

Works for me.

August 23, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  6. Michael

The ticket should be reversed if anything. Obama has no experience and very little judgement as evidenced by Obama's Rezko house affair. You can bet that Biden would never even pick Obama as his running mate. Obama might have won this election by choosing Hilary. But his own staffers say he has an enormous ego – they call him ObaMe.

August 23, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  7. Bill Tampa

Listen to the video. Biden's response was "I think he could be." Just like McSame...Negative...Negative..Negative..Take you Karl Rove flunkies and get a backbone..Cover the issues............Is there a positive bone in your body??????

August 23, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  8. California Democrat

Good Stuff! Glad Biden said it like it was (and is). I like Biden but will never vote for an inexperienced, untested, unknown, like Obama.

August 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  9. El Kababa

Well, at this moment the Democratic ticket has about four times the IQ of the Republican ticket. After McCain chooses a running mate, of course, those numbers will change somewhat.

August 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  10. INDEPENDANT VET

SO , WHATS NEW.

NOW WE HAVE FLOPPING, FLIPPING . FLIP FLOPS.

A PAIR THAT IS DOOMED .

DO YOU SMELL SOMETHING , HELL> O > HOT LIPS.

August 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  11. Molly Varughese

Please do not fight each other. Unite and bring the country back to the original values set out by the FOUNDING FATHERS.

August 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  12. jonny

One–House.......One–Spouse......Obama/Biden 08

August 23, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  13. applecrispbetty

They are scared because Joe's senate experience trumps John's.

August 23, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  14. Bill Tampa

Sure in 2005 Biden made these comments, so did a lot of people. A lot of Repubs in 2005 hated McCain. Just goes to show you how much of an idiot McCain is. Does he think the American Public is stupid. We all know that in 2005, MCain was a different person, and the 2005 McCain wouldn't even vote for the 2008 McSame..Shame on you McSame for thinking we're that dumb.!!!!!!!!

Obama/Bidem 08/12

August 23, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  15. Lim

Karl Rove was over-heard saying: "Biden, the gift that just keeps on giving"

August 23, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  16. Message to PUMA's.....

PUMA's imagine if he picked Hillary for his running mate, The GOP would have had a field day, but I suspect that's what you would have wanted. How do you think Obama would have choosen someone who threw no just the "kitchen sink" at him, but the whole kitchen. Obama could have not trusted someone so devious and underminding as Hillary. Again it's not the Clinton Party, it's the Democratic Party, you people would not have voted for Obama anyway.

August 23, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  17. erewre

Obama – Biden
    O(s)ama Bi(n) (La)den

August 23, 2008 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  18. DannyJ

They can keep pushing this successfully... provided that McCain doesn't pick Romney.

August 23, 2008 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  19. Sly

He would have been honored to run with McCain before McCain took control of the Flip-Flop express. C'mon now.....we all had good things to say about McCain back in the day. He was a maverick...now he is just a senile guy pushing the GOP agenda. I'm sure McCain is not even aware he is running for presidency....see how those around him whisper in his ears...they tell him..."don't listen to the voices"

August 23, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  20. Obama & Biden 08 & 12

Welcome aboard Biden. You've come to know Obama and are now of a different opinion. We've come to know McCain and see that he's not only a flip-flopper, but senile.
    Congratulations and God Bless!

August 23, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  21. Jeff from Jersey

The thought of a man as intelligent and powerful as Joe Biden teamed with Obama has to scare the Republicans to death!

Since Obama picked Biden as his running mate the ad in which Biden criticizes Obama is rendered absolutely meaningless.Apparently it hasn't bothered either Biden or Obama so it can't bother anyone else either...except the inept Republicans of course.People with working brains always scare the empty-headed Republicans.

HEY McCAIN,IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

August 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  22. Tell It Like It Is

Biden said it best in this excerpt ... nothing has changed except that the Agent of Change has selected a 30 year veteran of DC politics.

August 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  23. Priscilla for Obama

That was then. This is now. Obama has grown since the beginning and he is more experienced that he was a few months ago. When God selected King David in the Bible, King David had no experience, but he slew the giant at a young age and became King in his middle age. Obama and Biden are an awesome ticket. Now America has a team that will solidify all that Obama has promised. Go Obama!

August 23, 2008 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  24. Florida Democrat

I woke up this morning to the news of Obama’s selection of Joe Biden. I don’t usually read all the major online news outlets, but did this morning. I read a lot of posturing one way or the other about this choice. The NYT noticed a similarity between the pick of Biden and Bush selecting Cheney to bring experience to the ticket. However, given the many comparisons this election cycle between Obama and JFK, I am surprised that not one of the major news outlets saw in this choice an echo of the JFK-Johnson ticket in 1960. I see in the Obama-Biden pairing a youthful leader championing change partnered with an experienced veteran who knows how to work the system to achieve that change. That seems to me very much like the JFK-Johnson paring. I think Biden is potentially a great choice, provided the Obama campaign can keep him on message. Even that, though, is reminiscent of Johnson and his inclination to make troublesome off-the-cuff remarks. But the media was more forgiving of such things 50 years ago.

August 23, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  25. Trasa, Texas

So, and if he chosen Hillary, it would be the same thing with the ads. I mean, the GOP has used her comments too. It's a political race to see who wins, of course opponents come out swinging, even if your on the same side. Your trying to be the one left standing and when you are not, then you start singing a different tune. And besides, he did in the end get on the ticket, just not running for President. Great choice and couldn't be happier. I hope for Hillary fans, they will join us, if not, that's fine, it's their choice in the end.

August 23, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |