August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Gordon Gartrelle

Well gee, that changes everything. If Obama's own running mate says he's not ready, then I don't know if I will vote for him...

Oh wait- yes I will!

Nice try, McCain (not really, I'm just being polite)

Obama|Biden '08

August 23, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. Brian

At least McCain can afford his homes, Obama had to have a friend help him out. Sounds like he is trying to be elite by owning something he cannot afford.

August 23, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Seattle Sue

McSlime as usual. He has nothing to say for himself so he uses negative ads at Obama. I wish this man would not call me (my friend} and stop with the double speak, double speak.

August 23, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Tamikosmom

If Joe Biden ... in 2005 ... was criticizing Barack Obama as an opponent in the election process ... I could understand. However ... at the same time ... Biden was upholding John McCain. Now the American people have no idea where this guy in the political spetcrum. There is a wide gulf between a right of center Conservative and ... a far left Democrat (?). What is his ideology?

August 23, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. Blue Tiger

The issue is mainly with Obama. Even with Biden on the ticket, Obama is still an unqualified, unprepared, non-vetted individual. He is definately not prepared to serve as President.

August 23, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  6. SorryHillandCNN

This is not about Hillary! And the media should stop trying to make everything centered around her and Bill. They have important roles!

Why do CNN keep saying he didn't consult them. I don't get it? And they comment about not vetting her. She has already ran for Pres. I think they already knew more than they needed. She would have made an awesome chhoice but face it baggage may have been too deep to go into all the money recieved from "The Library fund".. Heard big names would have to be revealed. Sometimes by not getting into those details are better off left alone. Honestly I think they would agree and Hill is great at what she does not being someone behind the scene. I know the media loves to make hills into mountains I wish they could stick to the issues instead of bringing folks on to just bash what is already a done deal. She is not the nominee!!!

August 23, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. marta

Their slogan can be "TWO MEN, TWO HOUSES " simple enough-awesome ticket

August 23, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. Ajay Jain TX, USA

Poor McSame rather than prasing the VP selection goes for the usual dirty tricks!! All McSame can do is criticize others than having to ay something about himself and his VP or policies.

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Teddy California

What bad things did Romney say about McCain? If Romney is selected, the words will be in ads. Bush Sr.'s words about Reagan economy was used against Reagan too, but it seemed it did not work. We will see if all these attacks work.

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. Lisa

Big Smack just could not wait to hit Biden. Lucky for us today he remembers who Biden is. GO GRANDPA!!!

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. S. Boatman

This Is An Excellent Choice! Obamas Judgement Is As Sound As Ever! You Will Surely Get My Vote!

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Montana is Obama/Biden Country

these comments were made in 2005..!

Biden has come out TODAY to say.. the Joe Biden in 2005 does NOT know the John McCain of 2008...

Paul Harvey says- and THIS is the rest of the story..

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. Dee

Joe Biden...and this is "the real CHANGE we can believe in?" Sounds like more of the same old, same old Washington politics to me. Way to go Dems. If anybody could find a way to lose a shoo-in election, it's the DNC. Oh well, we survived 8 years of Bush. Four more with his lackey McCain (hopefully) won't kill us either. Maybe by that time the Dems can get their act together and bring an experienced, ELECTABLE candidate to the table...

August 23, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. Born-again Christian 4 Obama

McCain '08 for Hillary '12 – my children will suffer for the legacy you and others like you are leaving them with. Instead of doing what is right for the country and getting it going in the right direction you want to be mean spirited and not vote for someone who has nearly the same platform as Hillary. Our children will be PAYING the price for the last 8 years (and possibly 4 more) of Republican incompetence (www.agorafinancial.com/iousa). Think of future generations, don't just whine because your first pick couldn't win the party nomination. My husband met a lifelong Democrat last night who couldn't bring himself to vote for Obama because of Obama's skin color. Why exactly can't YOU vote for Obama? Celebrity Worship? I call it PRAYING for CHANGE (I would have been happy with Hillary). Race-card playing? Obama did NOT play the race card, shame on you for using this as an excuse. The hatred in American politics scares me, you hate Obama like people used to hate Bill (saw him at Tougaloo, also a "Celebrity" because he can excite the crowd and get them behind him). Hope he can help "draw in" Hillary supporters!

August 23, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Monkey on the loose

To all those Hillary supporters who continue saying crap like "I'm voting for McCain so I can vote for Hillary in 2012" it works both ways...

If Barrack Obama loses in 2008 and Hillary gets the nomination in 2012, then I'M voting for McCain!

Woo! Yeah! Let's all cut our noses off to spite our faces!

Get with the program, sorry your candidate lost, but this election is bigger than that.

Obama '08

August 23, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  16. Wait and see

It's really funny people believe the media hype that Obama has a chance to win. This is a conservative country and I have no doubt McCain wll win. The left wing has been trying for 8 years to make it seem that America shares their values win in reality , we don't.

This 'hope' and 'change' facade will fade in the coming months and Obama will be a memory just l ike 'Kerry, Gore and Dole, and...and....who ran against Bush Sr...???

What I find interesting is Gore would have won in a landslide had he been the Dem nominee.

August 23, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. Mom4

As a fairly independent voter, I'm leary of Obama and his constant flip-flop on everything. While I'm not a big McCain supporter, I would have voted for any ticket with Hillary. Now, if McCain wanted to demonstrate change and picked Hillary – then he'd be unbeatable.

August 23, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. Anonymous

Whatever Biden has said was nothing compared to what others have said and done. At least he didn't throw the kitchen sink at Obama.

August 23, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. Juli

Biden spoke the truth–Obama is simply not ready to be president. That's the fact. He's way too inexperienced. Maybe another time, but we can't afford for the Presidency to be a training ground. Here's one democrat who is going to vote for the best person for the job, not along party lines.

August 23, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. Dan, TX

Gee, think we can find a republican candidate criticize McCain? Grow up McCain... Hehe

August 23, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. SAT

I like the choice of Biden as VP. BO doesn't have foreign policy experience. Biden brings that ten fold.

On the flip side, it looks like McCain will chose Romney. Romney doesn't have foreign policy experience but has business experience.

Old and old versus young and old. Interesting choice on the surface.

August 23, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  22. The Other Jon

Should be good to see how John McCain will act now. He's been the follower this whole campaign, since he's too afraid to lead. Once again he plays second-banana because he is unwilling to make a risky but important decision.

Come on John, you've had months more to consider your running mate than Obama. Why not make public your decision?

August 23, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  23. gluvnast

apparently romney is not going to mccain's VP is this is going to be his attack on obama/biden

obama especially during the primaries, obama had biden's back with the "articulate" remark whereas ronmey & mccain HATED each other

this the route mccain wants to go, then he better not pick romney because there's stuff FAR than worst than whut this tit for tat

all biden have to say is "obama prove me wrong" and it's a dead story

August 23, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  24. Richard

McCain '08 for Hillary '12......
    Please take a long hard look at McCain before you vote for him if you truly are a Dem.
    See how close McCain policy/record matches Hillarys own record and policy.

August 23, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. Joan, Ontario

Biden is an excellent choice for VP. What a strong, appealing team. If her supporters don't spoil it for her, Hilary Clinton will obviously have a very prominent spot in an Obama government such as heading up the healthcare initiative, working for women's rights, Secretary of State or some other high profile position. She will not be forgotten. I hope that McCain does pick Mick Romney because there are tons of negative clips that the Democrats can choose from. Good luck to the Obama/Biden ticket!

August 23, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |