August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. mj

THE TRUTH SOMETIMES HURTS. # of people who will not be voting for B O. 50% of 18 million. So B O will needs to replace those 9 million plus 9 million more because these folks are voting for McCain = 18 million for those of you who can not count.

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  2. Mike

I would rather have Biden as President.

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. Willcnnpostthis?

who cares? McCain is bring up old crap

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. Batman

Excellent ad. It's clear Hillary should be President. If not her then I'll have to vote for Nader or McCain.

PUMA 4 LIFE

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Daggone In NC

That's just politics. Welcome to the jungle. I don't care if he had picked Santa Claus I'm not voting for him.

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Jesse , New York

What is Obama's change message when he brings such a long time Washing politician as well? Changed his change message already?
    By the way, age is not a disadvantage for McCain any more!

I will have chance to vote for Hillary in 2012!

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. RJ, CA

Well, well! So THIS is the CHANGE you've been waiting for, folks! Obama has now - with one fell swoop - thrown his ENTIRE philosophy "under the bus!" Nice going in order to have an "attack dog" do the dirty work for Obama. Doesn't surprise me a bit. Always knew Obama was nothing but empty rhetoric.

August 23, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. Arnold

McCain 08 for Hillary 12, and all the other Hillary fans that are planning to vote for McCain, please just vote for him already, but remember the other half of the party did not vote for her in 08 and will not vote for her in 2012. I voted for her in 08, but i will never vote for a republican! We need to have a democrat in the white house. Now that Biden is on the ticket, all is well.

August 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Obama-Biden '08

If you just listen to the ad it even sounds petty, like something a 5th grader would bring up in a playground fight. And really... they were opponents then. AND McCain may have set himself up YET again like he did with the elitist and number of houses thing because Romney absolutely ripped him during primary season.

He also said that he can be ready. This was over six months ago and clearly alot can happen over the course of half a year... The RNC and McCain camp have gotten desperate and they are going to any means to make Obama look worst, which doesn't make them look any better. It's actually really sad.

August 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. JeffRob

Barack Obama and Joe Biden are possibly the two most intelligent people in the United States right now.

Yeah, this'll work.

Yes we can!!!

August 23, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. RR in AZ.

McCain!......We're not as STUPID as your campaign! You need better advisors and your underestimating the American people. So much for your straight talk!

August 23, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Jenny

I will vote for McCain so that I can vote for Hillary in 2012!

August 23, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. proud army and navy mom

Well.....I must admit I agree with Biden Obama is not ready to lead and being in the White House is not the time for OJT. Dont get mad at me Biden said Obama was not qualified

August 23, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. RSB

I can't imagine anything he said that was any worse than what Hillary said or did when campaigning against Obama. It's politics! McCain may be a good man but his campaign doesn't show it.

August 23, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. Paul

Grow up ! McCain ! Can't get a piece of cake !

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  16. 101 st desert shield

Obama has my vote,

Great pick representing the average americans, not the elite like McCain and surrogates.

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. Professor

As a McCain supporter, I am so relieved that Obama selected Biden as his running mate. Had he selected Clinton, Obama might have won this election. With Biden at his side, I now feel confident that McCain will be our next President!

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  18. Trannon

McStain is at it again.

Any Democrat who votes for McWar is a hypocrite and probably has an IQ of under 100 anyway.

People who vote out of revenge or racism, not because McCain has "experience"...please.

Experience is what? F'ing up the COUNTRY, THAT'S WHAT!!

Joseph Stalin had "experience".

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  19. JulesT

McCain may be a war hero in the past, but he is no hero now. What kind of example is he setting- one who is nasty and is a name caller. He is setting a poor example not only for our children, but for the US. Somewhere between being a war hero and his life today, he has lost his integrity. That does not wipe out the past, but his past clearly does not define him in the present nor the future...shame on him.

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. eyesWIDEopen

Say whatever you want Republicans, you KNOW the Dem's ticket just got a MAJOR shot in the arm. Joe Biden is good man and as honest as you'll ever see in a politician. I was going to vote for Obama before he picked Biden, but this is VERY SWEET icing on the cake.

Obama/Biden '08

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Southern State

Hillary should have been the presidential nominee
    Hillary should have been the vp nomninee.

Obama, you have robbed HIllary Clinton and us voters for the last time.

I will be voting for McCain.

August 23, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Darren

McCain '08 for Hillary '12, you must have enjoyed the last eight years and love the idea of more of the same only a fool would vote for McCain after what Bush has done for our great country the last eight.

August 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. James

Obama is once again showing that he knows what the american people want.
    By selecting Joe Biden as he V.P. running mate, he's put the final nail in John McCain's presidential coffin.
    Time to pack it in and go home McBush.(if you can remember where your 8 homes and 2 condo's even are ???)

August 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. John in Charlotte NC

Fantastic pick! Biden was my initial choice for president so I am thrilled. Biden is way better than anyone McCain could throw out there. It doesn't get more non-elitist than Scranton's own Joe Biden The VP debate will be a lot more fun this time around.

August 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. tedious898

I hope the McCain campaign grows up. They operate like little bullies in the school heard that ya have to punch in the nose to get their attention.

August 23, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |