August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Democrats are losers

Yes! No thank goodness Hillary is not on this path!

What kind of agent of change is this guy suppose to be?
    Obama Supporters, you have been baracked! This guy is a total loser.

He is such a jerk (Obama), admit it fans of the cult, he could have picked a woman, so many were supporting him even unleashing their fangs on Hillary.

Wow. Very sad.

August 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. auggie

Anyone who votes for McCain solely because Hillary isn't the Democratic nominee is either (1) a racist, (2) a hpocrite, (3) a Republican or (4) all of the above.

August 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Shannon

Trannon, you are everything that Obama represents, your hate filled post, your name calling, your arrogance, all show just what the Obama campaign is about, and it's not hope and change. What a hypocrite, I'm so sad that a great man like Joe Biden has hooked up with this campaign. True Democrats don't support FISA, they don't vote for the Cheney Energy bill, they don't want to limit a woman's right to choose, they don't praise the over turning of gun control laws, they don't want to drill off our coasts, they don't play the race card, they don't demean women, these are all things Obama has done, Joe Biden doesn't fit with this man!

August 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. Sherry, Atlanta

OF COURSE HE WAS CRITICAL, HE WAS RUNNING AGAINST HIM. . .COMMON SENSE AMERICA!

August 23, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Kevin

I was rooted for McCain, now, I am going to vote for Obama. "Change + experience", you can't get better than this !

August 23, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Foreign Observer

Hillarists, if Obama loses, Clinton is toast, her name mud. Surely, you get that.... Hillary for Secretary of State! would be an awesome choice, and, let's face it, SoS is a much more important position than VP. Don't be fooled by the media theatrics around this, ok?

August 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Franky

Ohhh yeah, right!!! LOL!!!! I have to admit, I didn't watch the primaries at that time. Why?? Well, like I said, I know how my country is but wanna know something?? GOP......is like you're predicting the future...

I gotta say, when Sen. Biden said that, that was a while ago, huh? Well.....who's got the last laugh now! LOL!!!! I'm gonna be perfetcly honest with you. Do you know how I got involve in this election??? Sit back and let me tell you a quick tale...

One day, some of the boys were looking at some "numbers." Every day, every week, the boys look through important numbers in anything. It could be sports, businesses, etc. This could be anything, I mean, anything. And then one day some of the boys were looking over the numbers in the primaries and I swear guys, this is what they told me...

They told me that I should look at the primaries and this election. Trust me, I didn't even wanna bother with it. But this is where it gets interesting. The main reason why they told me is because I probably could find something in there that pepople haven't found. So, I said O.K then and I was off.

Do you know how long it took me to understand the primaries, candidates, positions, etc?? It took me over a month and a half. It's work, I don't care what anybody says. And from there, the rest is history...

By the way, since the GOP are doing me a favor, tell Senator Biden that I crossed his name off the list that owes my boy. Well, since he's the V.P...BUT I haven't crossed off the other Dems...

Edwards is still there, Dean is still in there, Hillary's name is still in there(by the way, is written in blood), etc.

Ohh yeah, I got my list from the people who are gonna owe us...,,mainly all Dems!! LOL!!!

August 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. Steve

What kind of commercial can be made if Romney is McCain's pick. Be Careful what you wish for, John.

August 23, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. hillary supporter VOTING obama

I THINK BUSH,MCCAIN,CHENY THEY OR SCARE OF OSAMA BIN LADIN IT HAS BEEN 7YRS AND BUSH,MCCAIN,CHENY DIDNT GO AFTER BIN LADIN FOR THE CRIME HE COMMITED ON 9/11 INSTEAD THEY WAS CONCERN ABOUT THEIR OWN INTREAST OIL. OUR 4000 PLUS LIVES WE LOST FOR NOTHING IN IRAQ TRUE PATRIOTISM YA RIGHT COWARDS.// OUR 4000 PLUS TROOP LOST THEIR LIVES OVER OIL AN I THINK THATS SAD IF THEIR LIVES WAS GONNA BE LOST IT SHOULD OF BEEN LOST ON A MISSION THEY THOUGHT THEY WAS LOSING LIVES FOR OSAMA BIN LADIN. WE NEED SOME ONE LIKE OBAMA/BIDEN WHO HAVE THE BALLS AN JUDGMENT TO GO AFTER THIS CRIMENAL (BIN LADIN )FOR THE DEATHS OF OUR AMERICAN PEOPLE ON 9/11.OBAMA/BIDEN IS THE TRUE PATRIOTS HERE. OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 23, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  10. YZ

Why do republicans jump on this? - common, remember Bush Sr's
    'voodoo economics' quote on Reagan– and was later picked as his veep? primary seasons are full of infighting, but parties always come together, and running mates are chosen out of former opponents.

so– mccain can do this whole dance for a week, but he'll be eating his words when he picks romney– and there will be tons of footage of the two of them badmouthing each other.

August 23, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. vernon Jorssen

Wolf Blitzer must be a happy commentator this morning. He has shown his bias during the Primary by replaying endlesly the negative comment of Mrs Obama. Now this morning he repeats over and over again the Mc Cain ad. on a comment made by Biden in which he suggests that Obama was not ready. Comments made during a debate serve a different purpose than one during a Presidential campaign. How much more free advertising do you wish to give the Republicans Wolf.

August 23, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. sue calgary

WHY ARE ALL MY COMMENTS STILL AWAITING MODERATION?!

August 23, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. ohReally

Go ahead and vote McPancakes Hillary supporters...but do you honestly think people wouldn't do the same to Hillary?

August 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. Chut Pata

If only Obama camp can fall so low, it would be broadcasting George Bush camp's propoganda that his adopted daughter is actually his illegimate child.

Alas Obama camp can not fall as low as the pubs can.

August 23, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  15. Marc PDX

Guess Obama listened when Biden spoke... the freshman picked the senior to be his babysitter... LOL!

August 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. andy dufrain

"Southern State" wwhy because hillary liked to play nasty with him, bacause she is entitled to it? because she is a uniting figure or is it a disuniting figure.. look at the problems she has caused!

August 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  17. Willa-PA

Great choice-anyone voting for McCain and who-ever he picks as his running mate, get what they deserve and have no right to complain when they get the same of what we've had for the last 8 years…
    This Obama/Biden ticket is a great balance no matter what the pundits and Republicans will be saying. Team work is what is needed to make what was once a great country, before Bush, great again

August 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  18. J Williamson

Alexander Haig (a mover and shaker in the Reagan white-house) was in Buffalo, NY this week (campainging for McCain) and let slip that "Ronald Reagan probably was not fit to serve his second term as president." He was referring to Reagan's mental state – John McCain, who turns 72 next week, is already 2 1/2 years older than Reagan at this same point in time, in the months before Reagan was elected in 1980. People should be thinking very carefully about the idea of electing a man who would be past 80 should he win two terms. Do we want or need this for our country? I think not. Haig, I'm sure, said more than he ever wanted, but it's all on record.

August 23, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. Lisa

Hillary whiners all over the place. Good thing Hillary does not act like you. She is a true and loyal democrat, something a lot of her supporters don't know a thing about. They think they are on the play ground where if you don't like the game you can take your ball and go home. So go over to McFool's side, just don't start whining again if he wins and takes the country down a few more notches.

August 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  20. Bob from San Francisco

McCain '08 for Hillary '12

You're obviously a troll, and a pathetic one at that. How about contributing something substantial once in while instead of parroting Republican talking points? You were never really a Democrat, so don't go on with that nonsense, either. Anyone with any inkling of decency and progressive values would go for Obama over McCain any day.

It's sad that there are so many hateful and bitter Americans out there who are doing their part to keep this country on it's path to ruin.

August 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. JC

The unfortunate truth is Biden was correct, which mainstream American is figuring out – Obama isn't ready to be President. It is unfortunate because a Biden-Obama (as opposed to an Obama-Biden) ticket is one I would vote for.

August 23, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  22. John

The Biden comment was from last year, not 3 years ago. The comment about McCain was 3 years ago.

As for pointing out that Biden didn't think Obama was ready to run and you can't learn on the job he was right and McCain should point this out. What experience has Obama gotten since then? Campaigning is not experience. I would run that ad all over the country for the next 2 months to show what Biden really thinks of his running mate.

August 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Chut Pata

Obama camp should retaliate by broadcasting all the criticism Dubya, Romney, and other neo-con pubs has to say about him.

August 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  24. Mary in CT

Oh, heavens! I'm sure the Obama campaign didn't see this one coming. Oh, what WILL they do?? (teeth gnashing and wringing of hands)

You "Hillary in 2012" people - if that's what you really believe - grew tiresome a long time ago.I just skip over your comments now. The pathetic souls who hate Obama more than they love their country need to get over themselves. Save it for 2012, unless you are even more irrelevant then than you are now.

August 23, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  25. An Independent Hillary

Go McCain!

Obama the hypcrite of change has disrespected us Hillary supporters for the last time. Biden is the ultimate Washington insider. Cult Obama deserves to lose.

Go McCain!