August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Ronda

Sherry, I agree.

What was Biden suppose to say, "I think Obama would be a great leader. Oh, I think he would be better than me." What? Does that make sense. Obama was Biden's opponent. Come on. Hillary said some things about Obama's inexperience too.

Think of something else please.

I can't wait to cast my vote!!!!!

August 23, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  2. Joe Kiloz

P O O P I E-–B I D E N

I N --H I S--O W N-–W O R D S

C A N' T--W A I T --H O W --M U C H-–M O R E-–H E --H A S---

P L A G A R I Z E D

August 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. Jean Clark

I thought McCain wants the evangelicals to vote for him....Does this mean this group finds McCain's behavior and his lies acceptable in the eyes of God? And what about McCain's early signs of dementia? How scary is that! So God please be with Obama and Biden and spare us of the sins of believing lies,I pray

August 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. Sue

Ahh–the Hillary-haters are at it again.

August 23, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. Ron, NYC

Response to Jenny above "I will vote for McCain so that I can vote for Hillary in 2012!"

A little word of advice. Even if MCCain wins in the fall, what makes you so sure that Hillary will win the Democratic primary in 2012 when she could not even win it this year. Good luck with your very "logical" thinking.

August 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. Joseph Adewole

The 'old cargo' has nothing new to say; he plays politics of division, where will that lead him to? Anyway when one is too old to reason well, he start to behave like a teenager again.
    Let McCain tell Americans what he has to offer them by continuing Bush's third term in office. I think Americans are too intelligent to fall for someone like John McCain.
    Obama was once presented with a cain during the primary, he should start to use that cain to cain McCain.

August 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Farrell, Houston, Tx

THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW. THAT'S ONE OF THE MANY PROBLEMS OF MCCAIN, HE HAS NO VISION AND HE DOESN'T TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT ARE OF VALUE OF AMERICANS. BUT WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A MORON.

August 23, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. ej

Hillary will NEVER get another chance. If Obama loses, everyone will blame those idiots that supported her who were too stupid to support him. We would make sure she NEVER has her day.

August 23, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Jose M Brito

Obama has proved that he is a poltician like all of them...
    With Biden he will fight as outsider?
    With Biden will promote CHANGE?

Noiw we should check where they get their speeches, when you stole someone ideas once you will do it again

McCain 08

August 23, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. Nikole-Independent Thinker

@ Jenny-Please believe that if you PUMAs cost Barack Obama this election, it will not be forgiven in 2012. Barack had over 18 million REAL votes (not Republicans trying to create chaos). And we will return the favor the next time HRC tries to run for President.

August 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Mark, B'ham., Al.

Joe Biden, Hillary CLinton and I all felt the same way back then and I still feel he is not ready to run this country with his response to Georgia and Russia and on just rehashing the old liberal agenda of economics and energy policy.

August 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  12. Kate R

*YAWN* Of course he said negative things – he was running for President himself! McBush is going down – no more theocracy in the White House and no more warmongering!

Go Obama/Biden and Go Dems!

August 23, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. sarah

I'm thrilled about BHO's pick. And, McCain's ads are pretty darn pitiful to say the least.

And, here is a newsflash for the individual who claims that Hillary was robbed: She LOST. (I thought this foolishness had ended.)

August 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. alex badme, albuquerque NM

ONCE AGAIN THE DEMOCRATS (BIDEN IN THIS CASE) JUST SAY WHAT THEY THINK WILL GET THEM AHEAD. SUCH DISHONESTY? WAS HE LYING THEN OR NOW. WHAT DIFFERENCE, HE'S A LIAR.

August 23, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. What?

RSB August 23rd, 2008 11:05 am ET......Thank you, you are so RIGHT!. I will be voting for Obama.

When I found out who Obama choose as his VP running mate, I was like......... WHAT? He has talked about Obama with his big mouth, but once I thought about it, he’s wasn’t the only one who talked about Obama with their big mouth. His pickings were very limited, but Biden does have the experience to lead if he has to be President. McBush can no longer brag about he is the one with the experience, if he does, that’s like saying “I don’t know how many houes I owe and The war in Iraq, another 100 years. So those who lame excuse of Obama’s lack of experience to vote for McCain, we can’t wait to see what excuse you will use next.

No one and I mean no one talked and belittled Obama bad as Clinton did, and to think she should have been the one he choose is insane. How many of you would have selected someone for a position if you would have had someone to treat you in this manner? It was his CHORCE to make!…………Bill Clinton MADE his.

She really damaged her chances when she stoop to an all level of negative lowness, with the attitude and ego of thinking I am entitled to be the President.

McBush…….“100 years in Iraq“…….. “don’t know how many homes I own and then staff lies and say 4, when it really is 7 or 8“. Those fools will believe anything and vote for me.

Obama/Biden

August 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  16. Xavier

Lets see, Obama is the living embodiment of the American dream. A person who rises to the top regardless of race or economic disadvantages. Biden has experience that makes McCain look lie a rookie. He is tough, and in my opinion is a real maverick, unlike a wanna be sell out like McCain. Now lets look at McCain. While I applaud his millitary history, I cant forget the way he treated his former wife, nor his comments on women. Anybody remeber the gorilla joke? When you look at it that way, guess who comes out lacking?

Obama / Biden 2008

August 23, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. Ronda

Im sorry to say, but have the Hillary supports ever thought that if Obama looses, there is a possiblity that people would blame HIllary supporters and not vote for Hillary in 2012.

You have to think about the damage that Hillary's supporters can cause for our future. Your anger towards Obama and the decision to support McCain is an example of judgment. Making decisions based on emotions is not a wise choice in judgment. Your anger could possibly harm Hillary's chances in the future.

How would Hillary feel about all of your support then?

August 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Will, NJ

McCain 2008, Hillary 2012? You know you can only shoot yourself in the foot until you bleed to death.

August 23, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  19. John Gio, NYC

Will Joe Biden be stealing his speeches from Neil Kinnock again?

Obama supporters are pathetic. If you are not for Obama, they play the race card and call people racist-pathetic race baiting. Elect McCain.

August 23, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. bewildered, chicago

Jenny, McCain fake name,

you would elect a inferior president in '08 and continue the poor policies and decision making of the past 8 years that have left us in an economic crisis and a misguided war in the middle east so Hillary can be elected in 2012; I would only ask you think about your logic here

August 23, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. tedious898

Shannon...I trust you're not of voting age because its scary to believe you can't understand the FISA vote. Think about this....Charlie Black says the McCain campaign would benefit from a terrorist attack. Next comes the FISA vote. If Barack had said "no"...then a terrorist attack that just slips through (i.e. 911) ...republicans would have said "see....he's totally a failure on national security. Think for once...its not illegal yet

August 23, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. Matt, Chico, CA

Joe Biden criticizing an under-examined, under-experienced celebrity, who really only got anywhere because of Oprah's racism. I guess that's the one smart thing Biden did in his career

August 23, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  23. Scott

Shannon, do your research. Biden voted for banning partial birth abortion. Obama is not an arrogant prick, he is confident, but NOT arrogant.
    Read the Pro-Clinton comments and Pro-Obama comments, it is both sides that have whiny, snively, children.

So women can attack men, but men can't attack back? Because the way I see it, THAT's sexism. Maybe you should look at the other side, because you will find you will fit right in. A whiny little baby.

August 23, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Down with the DNC

His words were his own. It's on tape! Why do people label Obama's supporters as mindless? It would be obvious if you weren't (mindless...thought I better clarify for the lesser intellects).

Joe Biden is a great man. It's a shame he's accepted this role...Obama's supporters were NASTY to his neice at the Iowa Caucus.

August 23, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. Hillary Fans out

now what Hilly billy supporters, go , get lost.

August 23, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |