August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Mike in Fairfax

Finally!!! There is finally a man on the Democratic ticket that is qualified to be President of the United States of America! My only hope is that he never gets the chance and that McCain kicks their butts.

August 23, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. fklc

I am thrilled with the Biden choice! He is someone who has made a career saying what he thinks and fighting for what he thinks is right. Also, I think it IS really good that Obama chose a running mate who has the kind of experience Biden does. As much as I strongly, strongly support Obama, it does make me feel even better to know that he will have someone who has been around the block a number of times and who isn't a suck-up as his close advisor. I hope that McCain picks Romney. Those two absurd phoneys deserve each other.

August 23, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. A Woman in California for Obama

JUST WAIT UNTIL THEY RUN THE ADS OF BUSH AND ROMNEY ATTACKING MCCAIN. This will become moot. I personally think McWar did Obama a favor running this ad. Many will vote for Obama now knowing Biden will be there-not just as a VP but to speak his mind if he is against something Obama is doing it also shows Obama can take a punch and still do what's in the BEST interest of this country.

August 23, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. Gene

To those voting for McCain so Hillary can win in November.. you guys better pray Obama wins.. because if he doesn't.. there's no way Hillary will win when she runs.

Also, if Obama wins, there's a good chance that Hillary will get a cabinet position. If McCain wins, there's a good chance that Hillary's career will be stifled for 4 years... and probably much longer than that.

August 23, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. Tainopower

Wen you pick some one that says. you are not ready to lead and your opponent is . Is the beginning of bad choice and the lack of experience.

August 23, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Non comformist

After Obama won his U.S. Senate seat he launched a presidential exploratory team 150 days later....thats power hungry.....if mccain wins it won't be because Obama is one of the most inexperienced and liberal senators ever....according to bloggers like you....it will be because voters of this country are racist....which some are but majority arn't

August 23, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. PAW, CA

Can you say C O M P E T I T I O N? It's about winning....I think Obama is a better man for choosing someone who did make that comment during a competition for first place, rather than the standard attitude of "I don't care if he's the best one for the job, he said bad things about me".....shows great judgment IMHO

Obama/Biden '08

August 23, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. Military Man

I find it funny that the republicans are accused of unfairly negative adds. Obama has been running a negative campaign vs McCain since the get-go with his "McCain is just a 3rd Bush term". Obama's entire platform is negative.

The level of hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Obama is an empty suit.

August 23, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Deji from agbooba ilorin

This is the dream ticket to take d white house. Obama/Biden08

August 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  10. jt

I think Biden is probably stand by his statement but he is just trying to help Obama. You know he is a democrat.

Obama is still not ready.

August 23, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. Patman

Hey Auggie, I think the answer is number four. You can add whiny, immature, stupid, ignorant, psychotic and petty to the list also.

August 23, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Cindy

Well, there was a time when John McCain was honorable... but this isn't it.

So I guess you're outta luck Mitt Romney. If that's what McCain's camp feels what former same party opponents say during the fight to be the party's nominee.

BTW, there appears to be plenty of Republican's saying good things about Obama, too. And these are present tense comments, not stuff dug up from the past... when you used to be honorable.

August 23, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Bidens comments on Duhbama is the only truthful thing I have heard from the left in over 50 years.

August 23, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Hoss

To : For Obama, please take just a second to read the posts on this page, are you sure it is only the Rupublicans who are mean spirited? Personally I like Obama but we are all better served by saying what he CAN do for the country instead of some of the name calling I saw on this page. This focus on the other guy is what kills Democrats every four years, we need to stay focused on the path Obama will take us on while at the same time being honest enough to say that dirty politics is not just a Republican tactic, did you see how fast the Obama camp put out an attack ad about the number of houses McCain owns?

August 23, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  15. doug

A major sigh of relief from every decent American who isn't looking for free stuff off the backs of hard working Americans.

McCain wins, but most importaintly America wins.

Sorry Dems, maybe in 2012 you can run a person for president who does love this country, I don't like Hillary but there is no way to question her patriotism, good luck to her in 2012.

August 23, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Independence

At 72 there is how much the mind and body can take after the horendous beating in vietnam.and only in america would people not think before taking very very important decision but follow negative information and dont check the facts.

August 23, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  17. Tommy in Redondo

Biden is a bufoon... thank god O'bama has chosen this loser... GOP lock in Nov!

August 23, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Alfred

To Hillary supporters,

Please, tell my how Obama 'stole' her nomination?
    WE the people voted for obama and are choosing him as the democratic nominee. Also, do any of you people who want to vote for Mccain just to vote for Hillary in '12 have a brain? Hillary is NOT gauranteed to even run in that year if Mccain wins. Also, look at the last election. American idiots voted for Bush AGAIN? So if you want to have this economy fixed, the mortgage crisis erased, and the issues with gas prices resolved. Please DO NOT vote for Mccain.

There is a reason his nickname is Mcsame/Mcbush

August 23, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Nice Try Obama

Im just pleased it's not Hillary. Had it been the more qualified candidate to either be the Presidential nominee or VP nominee then I think McCain would have lost.

Thank you Obama for losing on purpose in November.

I am a Republican and have been for 30 years, I almost would have voted Democrat had Clinton win because I feel like she is the RIGHT "CHANGE" we need. I would have voted for her over McCain; However, I will not vote for this celevbrity.

McCain

August 23, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. Cecil

Listen To All The Jealous Haters;

Go Ahead Vote For A Man To Run The Country Who Doesn't Know Simple Facts Like What Kind Of Car Drives.

How Many Houses He Owns. Ask My Staff, No Ask Your Wife!

The Differrence Between Sunni vs. Shia

Forgets The Iran Border

And yet it's only August, 2008. Senator McCain hasn't even had to endure the stresses the office yet — the mental and physical rigors that go along with being the nation's chief executive.

Hey Sen. Richie Rich, What Color Is Your Car, Ask
    Joe Lieberman.

August 23, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  21. lvlax

Great Ad!!! It's why Obama will lose badly in Nov. He just doesnt have the experience to be President of the United....not even close. And nothing he can say or any v.p. he picks can change that. He was an incredibly poor candidate for the Dems to choose.

August 23, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. Donna from Colorado Springs

Of course the republicans are going to drag out that video of Biden criticizing Obama during the primaries. I would expect nothing less from them! He was right, at that point in time, to say what he said. But, now is now. Obama knows where his weaknesses lie and chose the absolutely best person to strengthen the ticket. Obama is not a fool. I'm very happy with Biden. If old McBush wants to get down and dirty and play the doesn"ts, he's picked the wrong guy to mess with. Biden wont back down from a fight, especially from McBush. I'm so looking forward to what's ahead now. We have a very balanced ticket now, so BRING IT ON JOHNNY!

August 23, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |