August 23rd, 2008

Biden criticizes Obama - in new McCain ad

A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.
A new GOP ad shows Biden criticizing Obama.

(CNN) - John McCain's campaign is going to the tape.

Wasting little time attacking the newly-minted Democratic presidential ticket, the McCain campaign released a television ad Saturday morning featuring Barack Obama's running mate criticizing the Illinois senator in a primary debate last year.

The 30-second spot, set to air in key states, features an August 2007 primary debate during which Joe Biden was asked if he stood by his criticism Obama is not yet ready to be president.

"I think that I stand by the statement," Biden is shown saying.

The ad also features a 2005 interview of Biden during which he praised McCain, saying, "I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off."

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. Timber (ex dem)

He spoke the truth, Obama is NOT ready. It is a complete joke. What hype will get you these days................

August 23, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  2. J. McKinney

In comments in a lot of these blogs, everyone is saying what an attack dog Biden is, and how he will chew up McCain and spit him out, and how McCain now doesn't have a chance when bulldog Biden gets hold of him, etc. To be frank, I really didn't see any of this brilliant comeback stuff when I saw Biden in the primaries, (until he got no votes and dropped out). And he did make several critical comments about Obama's lack of experience, as well as some racist comments. That all said, I DON'T think Biden was the right choice. I think Obama's only chance was Hillary.
    Being a lifelong Democrat, who has voted in every election since Kennedy, I am now going for McCain–not to spite anyone, but because I think he will be the best president of the two.
    I don't guess there is any chance that the super delegates might get enough common sense to vote Hillary in at the convention next week?? That would be the very best thing that could happen in this mixed up US election. We are in a mess, and Hillary and Bill would be best able to start getting us out of it. HILLARY–either 2008 or '12!!!!

August 23, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  3. Closely Watching

...and let's just hope that McWar doesn't pick a former opponent in any of the primaries that he has run in as his Veep...I am sure there will be plenty of ammo for return volleys there. Wait a minute, what am I saying? Let's hope McBush does pick a former opponent from past primaries.

Obama/Biden '08~Real change AND experience we can believe in~

August 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. Californian for Obama!

IS THIS IT McSAME?? This will be diffused with one sentence in a well written speech. Sorry Right Wing, your gonna have to do way better than that if you want to take the onus of attack from the Dems.

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!! Its working, the Right is on full defensive mode, as they cant take the HOUSING heat!!! AHA!!

OBAMA 08!!

August 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  5. Drew

me likey! Let's hear all the lib fools talk about the "republican spin machine." Did we put words into his mouth? Didn't think so, now shove some organic granola into your whine hole.

August 23, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  6. Florida democrat

McCain has really turned the campaign into one of the most negative campaigns in recent history. Hey, before you stupid McSame supporters say Obama is negative also....you are correct. However, McCain went negative a long time before Obama did.

August 23, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  7. All who are without sin, cast the first stones.

Good, good choice. Congratulations to President Obama and Vp Biden. Hillary Clinton said the same things about Obama. These are just words. The candidates wanted to win so of course they are going dish out dirt against their opponents. None of them can boast experience as a fact none of them as ever been president. They may have acquire more knowledge of a topic but not until you are actually doing the job before you gain that experience. Good sound judgement and the ability to Listen and Lead is what it take. Obama is surrounding himself with the best. They will win. Democrates let's unite and get the job done. "The republican will try to discredit everyone. John McCain and his party had 8 years and they have destroyed the country. We need change and this is time. " YES WE CAN"

August 23, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  8. brian v

Really? No democrat did this research? Epic fail.

August 23, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  9. Tim

Big deal. One can find this kind of footage of Bush Sr. tearing apart Reagan before Bush became his V.P. One will certainly find these kinds of statements from whomever McCain chooses for his V.P.

August 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. Chris

Just once, I would like to see McCain run an ad about something good or positive that he's done. What a sad, bitter, hateful old man.

August 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. Tian

So, Congratulations to John McCain

August 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  12. rysc

Thanks for helping the GOP finish securing four more years with your pick now well just wait for Romney to come on board and Dems will cry again as usual.

August 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  13. Game

Let the game begin. nice choice . He will help cut up Mccain.

Obama..............08

August 23, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  14. Theo P.

I thank the Republicans for that ad. It clearly shows that Obama knows how to answer criticism. Obama has fixed the inexperience issue.

August 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  15. Jeremy-Columbus, OH

Unfortunately this a very good ad. Obama you picked the wrong VP to try and win this election.

August 23, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. Kate

Of course Biden criticized Obama during his run for president-that's what they all did! Once McCain reveals his running mate, I'm sure Obama could do the same with his VP pick. The point is, Biden is putting aside any criticisms for the good of the party.

August 23, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  17. Independent

I'm from Illinois and I'm going to tell you all this again....Abe Lincoln was a first term Senator when he ran for President......geez, look what kind of President he became and to the history he was told the same thing that some are saying about Obama.....

How much experience did George have??? NONE... How much difference is it if you are Govenor or a Senator???

August 23, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. John

That was quick. And now he's going to call up Biden and congratulate him?

Once again, Republicans (as adjusted by Karl Rove) are showing what they now stand for – disdain, divisiveness, fear, conflict, aggressiveness, feelings of having been victimized, win at all costs. Basically, riding that horse known as hate.

By November, Obama by 15 points. Americans are better than all that.

August 23, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  19. Janey/Michigan

What will the bots do now about their "age" remarks? Biden looks and acts much older than McCain! And–he is sarcastic and caustic rather than humorous! Nothing like having a VP who will cover your back and wipe your nose!

August 23, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  20. sue calgary

The GOP ad is ineffective. This is the kind of choice Obama needed to make. Obama/Biden all the way to the Whitehouse. McCain you lose!!!!!

August 23, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  21. Mary

Isn't Biden the one that made a racist remark early in the primaries? Something about Obama being "clean and articulate for an African-American"? Saying that on top of saying "Obama is not fit to be president" is probably why Obama chose him. Obama was trying to get one more vote! Ha!

So much for "change we can believe in" when Obama picks a career politician who has been a Washington insider for years and years (kind of like how Bush picked Cheney, and we all know how that ended up). Biden hardly got any votes during the primaries, and if the voters had wanted him to be on the ticket, I think he would have had a better response.

Actually, I'm kind of relieved that Obama did not pick Hillary. I do not like Obama but I do think Hillary would have made a good president. That would have put me in a voting dilema, but now I can vote for McCain with a clear choice.

August 23, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  22. snappa

Rev. Wright, Joe Biden? Another bad judgement call on Obama's part. I was having a hard time throwing my support behind him and this just makes it official, I cannot give my support to Obama and will now throw my vote away on the spoiler of the Presidential race, Ralph Nader.

I would have even supported a Obama-Clinton ticket with no problem and I have nothing but respect for Biden but as far as a judgement call, its a bad one in my opinion. Delaware is a wonderful state I'm sure but what exactly does Biden bring to the campaign? At least Hillary would have brought 18 million voters and two states one from the south and of course New York. I cannot fathom another 4 years of Bush policies under John McCain which is exactly what you'll get with this decision...sad!!

August 23, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  23. dannity

Please, this is too easy. All Biden has too do is talk about the difference between the McCain of 2000, and today's McCain who has turned to lobbyists and Karl Rove operatives to run his campaign. It's a chance to talk about something that everyone in the media seems to want to ignore; who the real John McCain of 2008 really is, and why. And John McCain himself has just teed it up for Biden. They're being outmaneuvered by Obama, they just don't realize it yet.

August 23, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  24. vic nashville,Tn

Why GOP good in General election ? because Democratic party gave the victory to GOP in silver spoon
    We thought GOP technique wont work in 2008 but now we lost the hope
    Obama has Changed from March 2008
    Hillary 2012 / Mc Cain 2008

August 23, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  25. Ty Hutt in Kansas City

I am all for Joe Biden being on the ticket with Obama. He is known as the poorest senator, who will relate better to the average american who knows how many homes they own?? At least Joe Biden is in touch with the times. I am sure when you ask Senator Biden a question he will not give you a stump speech reply, or a 40 year old war story like John McCain does all the time. Great choice Obama. Now if we can only get the Clinton followers to grow up, and accept reality we might just win the white house in November, and start repairing our reputation, and economy.

Go Obama/Biden 08.