August 23rd, 2008

Sources tell CNN: Obama names Biden as Dem VP

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama has selected Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware as his running mate on the Democratic ticket for the White House, three Democratic sources told CNN.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Angry Dem

Political Suicide. Howard Dean should write a book on HOW TO LOSE AN ELECTION. GO MCCAIN!!!!

August 23, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  2. Rodney D ~ Texas

Are the people who are happy with this pick really series?

I will say it again, and history supports my arguement ~ The road to the White House goes through the South. Fact.

The Democratic party has virtually no chance to win with two liberal northern Senators. It's as simple as 2 + 2 = 4. No calculus needed.

You people need to get that through your thick skulls.

August 23, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  3. Harry

If you'd rather have 8 more years of Bush than 4 of Obama, go back in time and move to Fascist Italy.

August 23, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  4. Why

As a Hillary supporter, I'm not surprised by this. And I don't hate Biden. I don't like things about him, but I don't hate him.

BUT, I wonder why Obama never really reached out to us. For me anyway, all he really had to do was plan to send Clinton supporters a message at the same time he planned to send his own supporters a message about the VP. Our message could have been a nice way for him to reach out to us and explain why he didn't pick her. I would've really appreciated that and it would've shown me that he's not ignoring us.

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  5. Ben

Oh, please, let the pro-Hillary, anti-Obama hilarity continue. It's definitely behavior in the best interests of our country's future for a bloc of spite-driven voters to either stay home or vote for the opposition rather than come to grips with the idea that their first choice wasn't the nominee.

Biden certainly wasn't my first choice for VP, and I was on the fence about Obama vs. Clinton in the primaries (just thank God we dodged the Edwards bullet!). The Democrats have their nominee, though, and we as a country need to stop being so selfish in our voting.

The best really is sometimes the enemy of the good.

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  6. M

What happened to "change for a better America?" Biden is about as establishment as Obama could get in a VP. Considering how elitist Obama is, though, I shouldn't be surprised. Way to sink the election, Obama.

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  7. Don

Smart choice by a smart man.

Yes we can!!!

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  8. Let's ne rational

Will all you Hillary supporters just get over it! You are acting more immature than my preschooler. So you didn't get your way and now you are going to pout about it? Come on! Do you really think that McCain has closer policies and ideals to Hillary than Obama? Honestly, be adults and accept that the world doesn't always give you what you want.

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  9. Gail AL.

Obama made a good choice for the MCcain campaign, all MCcain has to do is put a woman on his ticket and get millions of women voters. Way to go Obama what a blunder. GOOOOOO MCCAIN

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  10. Observer

Rats! I wasn't me!!!
    Oh well, good luck Senator Biden! You're a good man and I fully support you (although it should have been me).

August 23, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  11. Just why

How can you support clinton and then vote for mccain just because you didn't get your way?? I guess if you do that then you never supported clinton at all!!

OBAMA '08

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  12. Geoffrey

This is a fantastic choice. I'm thrilled with this ticket.

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  13. For Hillary in NYC

I was and still am a strong Hillary supporter. However, this is about something bigger than a group of disappointed Clinton supporters and it’s about something bigger than the Democratic Party. This is about our country and this election will have great consequences for the next generations…your children and their children and their children…

Think long and hard before you decide you will stay home or cast a protest vote “against” Obama. We can’t take a chance on what will happen if we have even 4 years of a McCain presidency. Do you really think it’s smart to help Obama lose so that Hillary can run in 2112? Consider the legacy that GW is leaving behind – can you be so sure that the country will be “fixable” in 2112 after 4 more years of a Republican in the White House? Roe v Wade overturned…another cold war…war in Iran…the haves will have more and the have-nots will lose it all…no healthcare for millions…children left behind…

Hillary has been gracious and I am hoping that her supporters will follow her example…it’s about the greater good…

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  14. Coach Thumper

All you Hillary supporters... we're all Dems.

But if you go to McCain, you weren't with us in the first place.

U go vote for four more years of Bush because of sour grapes that Hill and Bill blew it, then shove it.

We'll be working America back to greatness again.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08. IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING!

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  15. Debra

The problem with Hillary Clinton is that she made the decision in her campaign to conduct is as if she were a Republican running against the Democrat (Obama). On top of it, she ran a horrible campaign, mismanaged it at every turn and as much as you Clinton supporters don't want to open your eyes to it, if you can't run a campaign, how the heck do you think this person could run THE COUNTRY!

There is a place for Hillary but it's not where she has access to poison the food of the man who stands in the way of her ambition.

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  16. Kelley

Yeah, this news has been out since about 10:30.

I would be mad if I signed up for the text thing, but surely you know that Obama knew there was no way to keep this a secret.

It was all a ploy to get your cell number and email addresses so he can send you a message on November 3 reminding you to vote, because studies show folks are more likely to vote if they are reminded right beforehand.

Welcome to the world of duped, Obama-style!

Don't get fooled in November.

CNN never puts my comments on, they are always waiting moderation. So I probably just wasted 2 minutes typing this.

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  17. XMAN from Livermore California

We were close my fellow democrates! I am so sorry to disappoint you and even myself, but I CANNOT and WILLNOT vote for Obama without Hilary on the ticket!

August 23, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  18. Ryan Reif

Congratulations, Sen. Obama. You just gave McCain the White House. You know Hillary would have picked him. Wow. Good Luck with Biden.
    NO HILLARY NO VOTE

August 23, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  19. Niki

Thanks Obama for making it clear for me who NOT to vote for.

August 23, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  20. Anonymous

where do I sign up for PUMAS and McCain? OBAMA is a loser!

August 23, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  21. Kelley

And don't blame CNN for the scoop that ruined your long-awaited text message from the Messiah. ABC scooped it first, around 11 p.m.

August 23, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  22. judyco

this is change? won't get my support.

August 23, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  23. Adam

"WRITE in HILLARY…
    I WILLNOT VOTE Obama
    1st time not voting for a democrate since 1981.
    I would rather have 8 more years of Bush than 4 years of Obama"

Allen, you are either fictional or stupid. To vote Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, Clinton, Gore, Kerry, MCCAIN would require a very special type of idiocy.

August 23, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  24. Herman in LA

For the first time in 40 years voting republican I will be voting democrat.

I will not vote for the republican ticket and John McCain.

August 23, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  25. idiot

Why do we want a Prez who is incomplete to stat with ??

Obama is seeking someone who can "fulfill" the vacuum that he carries, but thats a big hole . Big enough that Biden can fill forget Kennedy or Gore.

Obama has ruined Dems chances to take back White House.

August 23, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |