August 23rd, 2008

Sources tell CNN: Obama names Biden as Dem VP

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama has selected Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware as his running mate on the Democratic ticket for the White House, three Democratic sources told CNN.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. Laird in Austin, TX

I think Biden is a great choice.

I was an avid Bill Richardson supporter, but I was only half hoping for him to get VP because frankly I think he would be well suited for Secretary of State.

Although it is a little unconventional, I think Obama should start announcing some of his picks for cabinet positions a little at a time. Strategically planning these announcements for times when the campaign needs a boost could bolster the excitement about the new administration and keep the momentum going.

August 23, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  2. The Presidency is not a Dynasty... Remember Democracy

I AM SOOOO HAPPY! After the Convention NO MORE CLINTONS! I am behind this ticket 1000% (anything without the last name Clinton would work for me). He is not obligated to please some of you. And like someone said earlier that "thousands will join them in voting for McCain". But MILLIONS will be voting for Obama/Biden. Although I am sad not to see a text message, I totally support the Democratic ticket, that's what Democrats do. Why don't you die-hard "supporters" (although you guys seem way more like Kool-Aid drinkers than an Obama supporter. Who supports someone... who supports someone else and isn't even running anymore?) just go ahead and start your own party? You can call it the "PUMA party" and you can make up rules, then change them as you go along to get whomever you want nominated. Oh! You can nominate only family members of politicans, so that way you don't have to worry about the task of actually paying attention to the issues, because politics is all relative! Then, you can have really divisive primaries, then split into two parties! See? Its very simple, vote spite. Who cares about wars, health care, the economy and the housing market. That crap gets in the way of my feelings.

Obama/Biden 08!

August 23, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  3. NYkrinDC

I understand the anger by the Clinton supporters. I thought she was treated unfairly by the media and the Obama campaign. I also think that Obama made a huge mistake by not even pretending to vet Hillary, and it will likely hurt them. However, what you must remember is that this contest isn't about Hillary or Obama but rather about changing the direction of this country. Do you really want to allow your spitefulness to cause another death in Iraq? A war with Iran? or to allow the continuation of the policies of the Bush administration? If yotu believe that direction is wrong, and you want something different, and better, then you will vote for Obama-Biden. Biden is very close to Hillary and treated her with a lot of respect respect throughout the primaries, they are good friends and have similar policies. You accuse Obamacons, rightly, that they focus so much on Obama the person that they fail to see the issues, yet by allowing your spite to cause you to vote against your on best interests, you are doing the same thing. Think about this before voting for Sen. McCain. if you agree with his policies, positions, then vote for him. He does have some good arguments on his side, but so do the democrats. I guess what I'm saying is give it some real thought before deciding who to vote for, based on policy positions and the issues, and not on hurt feelings, no matter how rightly you hold them.

August 23, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  4. Robert

PUMAs and If-not-Clinton-then-McCain voters simply amaze me with their staggering, seemingly even willful naiveté. What a bunch of bleeting cult-of-personality sheep. Ask yourself this: Who is Hillary voting for? Obama. Why? Because - duh! - primary scrapping aside, Clinton and Obama have always been really pretty close on matters of substance: healthcare; trade; economics; and - here comes the trump card - the kind of Justices they'd appoint. McCain is on the other side of the fence, remember? Do you people pick a President like you'd vote for high school prom king/queen? If you'd even THINK about voting for McCain, then how could you have ever supported Clinton? And if you wanted Clinton - and the policies and positions she supported - then how could you now not vote for Obama? Really. What are you THINKING?!

August 23, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  5. WW in ILLINOIS

Excellent Choice Obama!!

Its time for a change...this is the year of a New Beginning... '08

August 23, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  6. Axel

Hey Obama... I still ain't gonna vote for you. This country has had enough Arrogance and Inexperience to last us a lifetime.

August 23, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  7. sandra-california

HILLARY SUPPORTERS!!! WAKE UP!!! THE MEDIA TREATED HER UNFAIRLY OBAMA NEVER CONSIDERED HER 4 VP, HE LIED, FLIP FLOP, HIS NOT A MAN OF HIS WORD!!!! THE BEST CHOICE IS MCCAIN READY TO LEAD!!!!!!!! AND PUTS HIS COUNTRY FIRST A REAL MAN OF HIS WORD !!!!!!!!!!!!!P.O.W. MCCAIN 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  8. Republican

Republican presidency in the bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  9. lorna

This is a winning ticket – Joe Biden, is a magnificant person. He adds wisdom to our ticket. As for the Hillary Clinton supporters – get on board. Not voting for the Dem. ticket only means no health care, high gas. You are crazy if you think the Rep. Party cares about you or your family. They are hoping you do vote for McCain or stay home. Votes are not emotional choices, but survior choices. We can't survive another four years of the Rep.
    God bless America

August 23, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  10. Liam

Obama is 46 years old and Biden is 65 years old. So much for thinking differently and change. How is Obama going to do that with his 65 year old mentor/father as his VP? If he really was all about change he would have stuck to his guns and picked Clinton and sucked it up for the good of the party and would have been rewarded with a win come November. This just proves he has no clear clue on what he is doing. I guess the McBush saga will continue on. Clinton in 2012 for me.

August 23, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  11. Gene in Illinois

All these Obama supporters crying about "where's my text message" is hilarious. Is that what is really important to you? This just shows the shallowness of many of his supporters. CNN was doing their job as a news organization, reporting the news to the public as soon as possible.

August 23, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  12. He "needed" Hillary - Deb in Texas

I respect Joe Biden only because he once told the media that Obama was needing on the job training, and he voted for the Iraq War, same as Hillary. He was thinking of our safety not being a follower as Obama is. All I see is another Bush and Cheney.....same old politics for someone who preaches "Change" Come on people wake up and see the pattern......Obama is nothing but an arrogant, cocky person, just like Bush was.

I was life long Democrat, now changing to Independent. Never will I support the DNC again. They sabotaged the chance of us having a brilliant, intellegent experience candidate like Hillary, and I won't ever forget that. Hillary supporter with many others in coalition who will now vote for McCain.

For those who think we should be unified...thank Obama for not having picked Hillary. McCain is not another Bush, his a sincere and experienced candidate. The Supreme Court decision is not a vital issue over our protection, and ONLY McCain can do that.

Stop calling Hillary supporters pathetic or whining, we are entitled to our own vote and our own choice. We owe nothing to a party who betrayed us.

August 23, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  13. Heidi

Was it Biden's "clean,black coment" about Obama that convinced him. What a joke!

August 23, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  14. Kathy

FIRED UP! READY TO GO! It doesn't matter who is selected as Obama's VP he had my vote from day 1. CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN. OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 23, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  15. Jay

To all the comments from those closet Republicans who supposedly voted for Clinton and would chose McCain over Obama. You are the real idiots– Clinton and McCain could not be more opposite ideologically. Either you are crazy or racist; or maybe you are all closet McBushies!!!

August 23, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  16. Tired of C Students!!!

This is GREAT news! We now have a bona-fide street fighter that can take care of the attacks from the Republicans and allow Barack to stay on message and force McCain to focus on the issues!!! YAY! I am so tired of the "alleged" Clinton supporters (we know you are Racists and/or Republicans trying to stir up trouble) saying they are going to vote for McCain. I say go right ahead. You know there is no way you were ever voting for Obama anyway. Quit trying to create excuses to not support Obama. Hillary is not an option. Let's just agree that they both were good candidates, but somebody had to lose. There can only be one President at a time. Anyway, Hillary now supports Obama. She has nothing in common with McCain. If you were a TRUE Hillary supporter, you would support the candidate she supports instead of going against everything she stands for (which is what a vote for McCain does). This is not about McCain, Obama, or even Hillary Clinton. It is about choosing the best President. You have 2 choices. You can put away your petty differences, be an adult and vote for the person that supports your issues, or you can vote against your interest in trying to "teach somebody a lesson (who, I have no idea)" and thus contribute to the continued destruction of America. Choose Wisely and pick the person with the intelligence, stamina, temperment and judgement to solve the very difficult challenges the US faces that were brought on by the Bush administration. We all know that person is not McCain. Anyway, I think Biden is an excellent choice. Great job Senator Obama! Democrats unite, we can win!!!!

Obama/Biden 08

August 23, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  17. mc same

i would say that BIDEN is smarter and more respected than anyone in the senate, this is a tough ticket to beat.

HILLARY would have been a good running mate, but also a political one- plus, is this generally fearful and young country ready for a WOMAN
    and a BLACK MAN ? perhaps not friends....

john mc same

August 23, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  18. Jacek Broda

And I was so looking forward to that text message.

August 23, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  19. NObama

Jay August 23rd, 2008 1:46 am ET
    "Hillary sunk her own ship. Who in their right mind would choose Hillary after all the terrible things she said. I would rather see him lose, than win with Hillary. I'm sure he feels the same way. It's sad that she wanted it so bad, that she was willing to sell her soul to the devil. Bill and Hill are the past, Obama is the future. YES WE CAN!!!"

___________________________________

Hillary Clinton said 'terrible' things? Obama has said and done worse things. Both him and his wife have made several negative, unpatriotic statements about America. Heck, his wife has even went so far as to say that she has never been proud of her country in her entire adult life. The unpatriotic remarks made by Obama and his wife were more terrible than anything Clinton has said.

Now I think you should rephrase your question: Who in the right mind would vote for "Obama" after all the terrible things he said?

Hillary or McCain '08.

August 23, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  20. Allen = IDIOT

If you'd rather have more of Bush than Obama, you're an idiot and no better than a terrorist, and you deserve to be deported.

August 23, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  21. Simply Truthiness

All of these Hillary supporters voting for McCain out of spite... talk about shooting Americans in the foot. What ever happened to voting on issues. Obama's and Hillary's positions are so similar and certainly more so than Hillary's and McCain's.

Only a true fool would let their emotions inflict another 4-8 years of the same crap on America. Seriously people, I know you're disappointed, but let's act like adults and do what is better for the common good. Get these GOP crooks out of office.

August 23, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  22. sscoop

Are you kidding me. I will not vote for Obama now that I see
    who he has chosen for a VP. Clearly he is of poor judgement for
    the american people. He has made my mind up tonight.

August 23, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  23. C Franc

No Hillary meant I'll not vote. Good luck to the Democratic Party.

August 23, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  24. DeMj

Great choice! Obama had to go with someone who will not stand in his way. Think about it... If he had picked Hillary, there would be too many egos around the white house...after all ...Hillary was the first lady and Bill Clinton was the president.... Do you think they will listen to Obama??? Heck no!

As for those Hillary supporters, be real. If you were a democrat before Hillary then you should always be. Otherwise, for your selfish reasons to support McCain because Hillary failed to win more voters than Obama just show your true color of not being a true sport. Lost is a lost and win is a win. Go ahead and vote for McCain and if he does win you will always lose! But then again I think it more of "I am not voting for a black dude" rather than voting for your party.

Obama/Biden 08/12!!!!

P.S. If John McCain cannot remember how many homes he own, he will never remember how many voters voted for him. To him, it's like... oh.....thank for voting for me..... Now go buy my wife's beer brand.....if your kids die in my war, they will be called heroes....thank for having your war babies...have a nice life!

DEMJ

August 23, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  25. Aziz

Mr. Obama congratulations......you picked the best running mate.

August 23, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |