August 23rd, 2008

Sources tell CNN: Obama names Biden as Dem VP

(CNN) - Sen. Barack Obama has selected Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware as his running mate on the Democratic ticket for the White House, three Democratic sources told CNN.

Filed under: Joe Biden
  1. JANE

I never got my text message,but that is okay.I will still vote for Obama.He is the best candidate.I also watched the news late tonight.I learned of Obama's choice after midnight.I expect a lot of people will not know until later this morning.I do not believe he broke his promise to let supporters know his choice first.It is the news media that broke the news.It is not his campaigns fault.Obama let his supporters know on his website,and in text messages as soon as he could after the story started leaking.I am a night owl,but most people are asleep except on the west coast.Good night!!

August 23, 2008 04:12 am at 4:12 am |
  2. President Obama and Vice President Biden

It's a wonderful thing! I like! I like!

August 23, 2008 04:13 am at 4:13 am |
  3. Mile Hi Man

The friggen Hillary morons are such a joke. They'll vote McCain out of spite. Instead of getting the Bush morons out of office, they'll go for another 4 years of the SOS, instead of being smart and getting the whole Bush clan outta there. Kinda like cuuting your nose off ta spite your face. LOL Give up Hillary supporters, maybe she can get the vote in 2016. Hope ya notice I didn't say 2012, cause Barrack and Joe will win then too. Hillary has so little "experience" where Joe has a ton of it....Great Choice Barrack!!!!!

All these Hilary supporters can go cry in their coffee in the morning. I am still trying to figure out how being the wife of a President is equal to experience. Biden has so much to offer, she probably would have picked him for her VP.

OBAMA/BIDEN 08 -- woooooo hooooo :) :) :)

August 23, 2008 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  4. Ken

Obama is going down for the count. What change?????? Biden is a Washington insider big time.

No Hillary Clinton, NO VOTE FOR YOU OBAMA! ONE MORE VOTE FOR McCAIN

And you Obama supporters, get over it for you are going to lose in November against McCain and whomever.

August 23, 2008 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  5. real american

if you choose mcsame over oboma just because of clinton your idiot and never knew her issues.they never disagreed on issues you were never a real supporter of her ideas just wanted her name.

August 23, 2008 04:15 am at 4:15 am |
  6. Muyoyeta

VoteForYourself writing from Europe above is right on the money. Why would you vote for Mccain and not Obama just because Hillary hasn't been put on the ticket as Veep. Do you vote for personalities or policies? You are the same people who would have accused Obama fro playing politics if he had put Hillary on the ticket. It's about someone you think will do the job and who you will be able to work with. I really don't think Obama would have been able to be in a good workring relationship with Hillary. There would have been some fightings in the background which would have made governing very impossible for Obama.
    About the 'Change' argument, we all know that Obama needed somebody with lots of foreign relations experience and Biden is the best pick. We all know that Hillary's foreign experience resume was found wanting during the primaries and the GOP would have capitalised on that. Already the GOP are trying to attach Biden alleging he himself had highlighted Obama's lack of experinece. Imagine what would have happened had Hillary been on the ticket. How would she had been able to defend Obama on negative issues that she had used to attack him?
    I'm in Australia and I reckon Biden is the best choice Obama has made of his veep. People go vote for this guy if you are truly honest with your conscience!

August 23, 2008 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  7. carol

I can't believe some of you people. I don't know why you people think he owed her anything. This is a presidential race. No one should pick someone because she is owed it. People get real. I am a republican. But I can see myself why He pick Biden. Hell I would have too. I will vote for him just because he showed integrity and made his own choice. And I was a hillary supporter. If this is the case All presidents would choose the looser if that is what was owed to the looser. Get real people. And for you people say that you will not vote because of his choiec, that is stupid. Especially you women, look what women had to go through just to get their voices heard to vote. But I will say, CNN hit the nail right ont he head when they said some people will vote for the other or will not vote because he was not of their race. How ignorant of people. God will shame you for this. Underneath the skin we are all the same and bleed the same. And you know what else, I have had so many people in my family loose their homes and McCain can not even remember how many houses he has. That should tell you that not only is he slow, you can tell that he has never had to really deal with real life problems. I was listening to him the other day stating that he wanted people to have the choice to send ther kids to the good schools like he and Cindy sent their kids. Why bus/charter your kids to other areas? Just give the poor schools money. That would be the reasonable thing to do. He is the one out of touch and not understanding the real life issues that people deal with.
    This is real people, stop hating and vote for what is good for you and your family. Aren't you all tired of the bickering because Hillary did not get chosen. But my question is why should he be forced to vep her. I wouldn't If I was in his shoes. Look what kennedy did, he chose someone he did not care for, but it was for the good of the country of the choice he made. I can't believe people today are just as ignorant as people where years ago. No I see why our country is full of hatred and smears. I just lost a kid due hatred because he was black. And to think people are so hateful. I just don't understand.
    And why would this country of demoncrats refuse to vote for another democrat know that the only thing McCain ever talks about is war, his vietnam experience, or how to win the war. Tell me what is there to win, I even lost a loved one in this wasteful war. He sound just like Bush war, war, war, war, war. Get real people. Loose what I have lost, 2 lives in 4 months. Get real and wake up.

August 23, 2008 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  8. rob kole

If Florida and Michigan get full votes at convention and use those numbers in the primary count HIllary won. This is a prime example of the failure of the leadership at the DNC and why I am afraid that combined with VP pick Obama will lose in November.

August 23, 2008 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  9. Sean

What a fantastic choice!

And to Hillary supporters, I'm absolutely serious when I say that Hillary can be far more effective and influential as a high level cabinet member than as VP. I think this'll turn out to be the best arrangement for everyone.

It's a good night.

August 23, 2008 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  10. lvlax

I don't think this thing will even be close now. Obama picked an 8 term senator and is calling himself the candidate for change??? The guy is a charlatan, pure and simple. Talks to the people with his preachy reverand voice and basically says nothing. He showed how innept he was during the debate..McCain was decisive while he was all "ummm...well... ummm.. thats above my pay grade" . Without a teleprompter he's shows just what a lightweight inexperienced empty suit he really is. McCain has plenty of flaws as a candidate but between the 2, he's a far better choice with his experience and knowledge than Obama would be.

McCain 08!

August 23, 2008 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  11. NoObamaBiden08

Well, that put the nail in the coffin. No Hillary= a vote for McCain. Way to go Obama...your inexperience and poor judgement are more clear than ever.

August 23, 2008 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  12. ted

I just don't get why Hillary supporters are so pist at Obama. She wailed on him happily for 15 months and acted like she was annointed. He simply beat her in the delegate race. If she didn't have just a Super Tuesday strategy she'd likely be in Obama's spot, but it's not his fault he ran a better campaign.

If you are pist, be mad at her campaign, the media or whatever.

Did you really think Obama could govern with Hillary and Bill next door. The idea of it is fantastic, but they are simply too powerful to play second string. It would not have worked.

Hillary will play a big part in getting universal healthcare done and Bill will help repair our image along with Showing the world we can vote in the best candidate regardless of race or age.

Let's just BEAT these idealogues with brains and savvy and get our reputation and economy back. 8 years of mismanagement is enough.

August 23, 2008 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  13. Make My Day!

SUPER CHOICE!!......DIDN'T BIDEN SAY ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION, THAT OBAMA WAS NOT EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO SIT IN THE OVAL OFFICE....NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE PRESIDENT??

THAT STATEMENT IS GOING TO COME BACK MANY TIMES TO HAUNT HIM!!! AS A REPUBLICAN, I'M EXTREMNELY HAPPY WITH HIS CHOICE OF BIDEN!!

JOHN MCCAIN WILL WIN IN NOVEMBER!!!.....THANK GOD!!!!

August 23, 2008 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  14. mikeijames

if the democrats wanted joe biden as vice president, wouldn't they have given him 18 million votes?

August 23, 2008 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  15. Blake Thompson

This shows that Obama is ready to lead! He has pick the very best of VP contenders and shown his superior judgement and wisdom! Obama-Biden '08! It is understandable for Clinton supports to be disappointed but it is time for all of us to rally around our to canidates! Clinton is sure to have a place in the Obama-Biden administration! She has made history and will continue to but Biden is the BEST possible pick for the Vice President! Hope Pray and Vote for change!!
    Obama-Biden '08!!!!

August 23, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  16. angel

the dream ticket now is a nightmare ticket.angel

August 23, 2008 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  17. SD

Obama has no respect for Bill Clinton - he made it clear by saying that Reagan and Republicans had all good ideas and ignored the most successful presidency of Clinton. If there was any change in democratic politics after Kennedy's it was Clinton's. He successfully worked with a highly confrontational Republican controlled house and senate, made the right choices for the country and left it economically more sound.

Hillary is the first democrat to run based on that legacy of Bill's, and came very close to winning the primary. Instead of showing respect for the Clinton administration and Hillary, Obama decides to ignore Hillary. I doubt Bill or Hill will go to bat for Obama this fall.

This ill treatment of democratic successes and base should cost Obama a lot. His arrogance should put him in the right place - in the group of naive democratic also ran's. Pragmatism and working with adversaries is key to good governance - even when they are trying to impeach you :(

August 23, 2008 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  18. Dinnylou

F A N T A S T I C!!!!

Obma/Biden.....WOW. Wonderful

August 23, 2008 05:13 am at 5:13 am |
  19. Anonymous

great choice. Right combination.

August 23, 2008 05:14 am at 5:14 am |
  20. Bruce

I love how everyone is upset because they wanted a VP who voted against the war. That would only leave Kucinish. I'm sure we would all love to have that idiot onthe ticket. No matter who Obama picked, it would have been somebody who voted for the war. If you base you vote on taht alone, you truly don't need to be voting. There are many issues you have to think about when voting. Not just on one.

August 23, 2008 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  21. Cheryl

By any chance did this leak to the press that Biden had been chosen come immediately after Hillary was told she didn't get the job?

I think Hillary and her Ellen Jamesians (World According to Garp reference) are the most spiteful selfish anti-Americans I've ever seen.

On August 28 when Barack Obama officially speaks as the first African American nominee for president it will mark a monumental milestone in American history. It's importance to not only black Americans but people all over the world who belief in justice and yearn to find the best in human nature will be enormous. The history of the United States has been tainted by racism. This speech in Denver is a major step toward healing.

For Hillary Clinton's supporters (not all of them, just the militants) to want to destroy that beautiful moment for people who will be watching with tears in their eyes all over the world is despicable.

August 23, 2008 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  22. mernoush

Nevada

("I just signed up on the McCain web site — Democrats for McCain....I supported Hillary Clinton throughout the primaries. There is absolutely no chance I will consider BO now...")

You don't expect us to believe that you are a democrat? may be you think you can fool us but it's easy to distinguish a fake post from a republican.

August 23, 2008 05:25 am at 5:25 am |
  23. mcclaud

Protip to McCain's Campaign:
    When your rival announces his running mate before you do, do not issue an attack/negative statement within 15 minutes of the announcement. Wait 12 hours, when everyone's awake.

Everything McCain lets his campaign get away with just drives me that much farther from him. GET CONTROL OF THIS – DOES NOT LOOK GOOD (because he's either not in control, or he's a paranoid hate monger).

Protip Txt ppl:
    I blame the networks. Obama made them sit on the news until the 23rd, and they took it literally. Once it was midnight, they broke the news. How the heck is Obama's people supposed to beat that?

August 23, 2008 05:38 am at 5:38 am |
  24. hillybilly

still have not recieved email.i recieved every other one asking for donations,but,everyone in the world knew before i did.biden is not change.big mistake ,barack.

August 23, 2008 05:44 am at 5:44 am |
  25. D from Ashburn, VA

To all you PUMA's, go ahead and whine, get it out of your system now. IF you decide to either stay at home and not vote or even worse vote for McCain, you can wish all women's rights that have been fought for good bye!

To some of you women, who continue to cry for Hillary to be written in, what are you all thinking about? She has battled hard and lost, but she is not forgotten. She will be part of a new democratic party that will change the mess we are in now. She will have a chance not for 4 or possibly 8 years but might have a chance to sit on the most important "bench" in the USA for a very long time and avoid the McCain train wreck he wants to do.

Give it a break, please....

To all your republicans who pose as democrats – get a life!

August 23, 2008 05:47 am at 5:47 am |