August 23rd, 2008

McCain calls Biden

McCain has congratulated Biden.
McCain has congratulated Biden.

(CNN) – John McCain has called Joe Biden to congratulate him on being named Barack Obama's running mate, two GOP sources tell CNN's John King.

It was a "short conversation" and "very pleasant," a McCain aide in Arizona said.

"It was a brief phone call, they've known each other for many years, they are good friends," McCain campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds also said.

McCain communications director Jill Hazelbaker declined to give further details.

"It was a private, personal phone call," she said. "Senator McCain welcomed him into the race."

Filed under: John McCain
  1. biden is da guy

he's gonna slap around tha mitt romney in them vp debates like cheney slapped around johnny edwards - he's gonna pimp slap him!

August 23, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Chris

McCain is such a puppet. Calling him to congratulate and then throwing a nasty video after the phone call. Grow up Grandpa McCain.

August 23, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  3. KQ

OK CNN you're still swooning over OB, but after all the hoopla does the DEM ticket really excite anyone...including the you? How 'bout this for the weeks headlines;
    ...."Flip Flop Barack selects a new VP (after choosing Biden) before the DEM convention even comes to order"
    or how about
    ...."OB finally admits he lacks experience and selects a member of the Old Guard as VP...so much for change"

Let's be real CNN.... according to your coverage since "Flippers" VP annoucement ...Hillary still commands your attention.

I suggest McCain offer his VP position to Paris Hilton, then he'll have a REAL celebrity who also lacks experience to run on his ticket as well.

This HIlary Girl will will cast her vote (as a protest vote) for McCain.

Hillary in 2012!

August 23, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  4. Agnes

I think Mc Cain will win in November.
    Our next President of The USA will be John Mc Cain.
    Let see.

August 23, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. O(a)bamination

good for mccain on congratulating Biden, but he should have been thanking him instead because McCain is on easy street now

August 23, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Bill from Madison

I wonder if Biden was told by McCain that he plans to "outgimmick" Obama by making his VP announcement by smoke signals from Arizona.

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  7. Clive Anderson

And so the end begins. Sad.

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  8. Robert

O B A M A B I D E N
    O S A M A B I n l a D E N

I can just see the smear campaign from the right that some Americans will sadly fall for.

***OBAMA-BIDEN 2008

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Draft Board Calling

Oh, ok Joe, so your sons already joined? Just checking.

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Felly

McCain is too old and forgetful to be our president, period.

August 23, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  11. Roxy, New York

Haha! McCain is so two-faced. He already put out a negative ad, now he's trying to make nicey nice. Ugh.

August 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  12. biden is da guy

when biden gets up on that diving board, right, and does a cannonball on john mccain's head - look out below! he's gonna send him straight to davy jones' locker

August 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. wanbligi

McCain should have congratulated Barack Obama on his selection of Joe Biden as Obama's VP. McCain has it backwards, but it figures.

McCain just ran an ad critical of Obama saying Biden was critical of Obama.

The McCain camp is so full of it. lol

August 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Franky

"The Moment of Truth"

Senator McCain: And now my pick for the Republican National Liberal Party is...

Conservatives: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

August 23, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. Gene

So the repubs are already trying to discredit Biden by tying him to McCain? :)

August 23, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Kel

He will be congratulating Biden one more time in November .

August 23, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. JC

REG in AZ – Biden's experience and foreign policy strengths doesn't suddenly make Obama qualified to be President because someone else has what Obama lacks. Obama still lacks it. Biden would have been a much better presidential nominee.

August 23, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. California Gold

McCain Brief Phone Call:
    "Hello Joe?"
    "Yea John, how ya doing bud?"
    "Well, uh fine. I'm pretty worn out after this past week. That business about how many houses I own, my $500 Italian shoes, Sunni-Shiite, heck they all look and sound the same to me, and my oil buddies are wanting me to promote more fossil fuel and drilling, hehehe. The #@$%^ [expletive] media just try to make me look bad."

"John, I don't mean to cut ya off Bud but I'm short of time today and gotta get down the road."
    "Ok Joe. Got it. Uh, did I tell you I was a POW?"
    "Yes John. Was there anything in particular you were calling about this morning?"
    "Nothing comes to mind Joe."
    "John, have you turned on CNN?"
    "Joe, uh, yea I did. Uh, something going on in Illinois?"
    "John, I've accepted Barack's offer to be the VP to run against you."
    "Yea, right. I, uh, [chuckle]. Now I remember, yes that's it. Yes. Now I remember! Guess it slipped my mind."
    "Thanks for the call John. Take care."
    ~click

August 23, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  19. S. Boatman

This Choice Shows How Excellent Obamas Judgement Is! You Will Get My Vote For Sure! I Will Choose Good Judgement Over Questionable Experience Any Day!

August 23, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  20. vic nashville,Tn

08-23-2008 best day for Mc Cain
    Because Hillary is not in the ticket
    So he called Biden to say he is happy now
    Hillary 2012 / Mc Cain 2008

August 23, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  21. Eileen from Maine

"They have known each other for years and have been friends."

The problem is, like many of McCain's colleagues in the senate have said, the McCain of 2000 is not the same McCain of 2008.
    For whatever reasons, he has turned into a vile, back stabber who cannot be trusted.

Whatever the reasons for this excelleration of his already known anger and rage issues, it is a very serious problem, when what is needed is a calm, rational temperate not reactionary outbursts from somebody who seems to have 'something to prove".

August 23, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  22. losthope2008

It doesn't surprise me. Most politicians are all crooks anyway. One crook calling another. No big deal.

August 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Michelle

Well, I guess the attacks on McCain's age will stop since Biden is almost as old and with hair plugs to boot!

I bet Biden can't wait to take the stage at the Dem convention.
    Has anyone seen pics of the stage? It looks like something you would find in a casino. Cheesy!

Hey, say all you want about John McCain. He is gaining ground and he will be McPresident.

August 23, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. Tainopower

McCain and Biden agree; obama not ready to lead . Or to become president. I will take Bidens advise and ill be voting for McCain.

August 23, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  25. aaron

If you watch the ad, there is no attack of Joe Biden on it. It simply lets Biden comment on Obama.

August 23, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |