August 23rd, 2008

Other Dem VP prospects weigh in

Bayh, Sebelius, and Dodd are praising Biden.
Bayh, Sebelius, and Dodd are praising Biden.

(CNN) - Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, both believed to be considered for the Democratic VP position, are praising Obama's choice of Joe Biden.

"I’m delighted Senator Obama has chosen Joe Biden as his running mate," Sebelius said in a statement. "His extensive experience dealing with foreign policy issues are an asset in these complicated times."

"Jackie and I congratulate our dear friend, Joe Biden, who will make an excellent running mate for Barack Obama, and more importantly a great Vice President," Dodd said in a statement. "I have known Joe for almost 30 years and I've had the privilege of sitting next to him on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and sharing the campaign trail both with him and Barack. I know this is a ticket that can win in November."

Earlier, Hillary Clinton also released a statement praising the Biden pick.

UPDATE: Sen. Evan Bayh has released a statement praising the Democratic ticket.

“Joe Biden is an outstanding public servant with deep experience and a fighting spirit," he said. "These qualities will make him a great asset in the White House and on the campaign trail this fall."

(Full Dodd, Sebelius, and Bayh statements after the jump)

Kathleen Sebelius:

"I’m delighted Senator Obama has chosen Joe Biden as his running mate. His extensive experience dealing with foreign policy issues are an asset in these complicated times. He will be a great partner for Barack Obama in bringing about the change so desperately needed in our country, and restoring to America our sense of optimism and hope for a brighter future. I am proud to support this incredible team."

Chris Dodd

"Jackie and I congratulate our dear friend, Joe Biden, who will make an excellent running mate for Barack Obama, and more importantly a great Vice President. I have known Joe for almost 30 years and I've had the privilege of sitting next to him on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and sharing the campaign trail both with him and Barack. I know this is a ticket that can win in November.

"With rising gas prices, increasing health care and education costs, a damaged reputation across the world, and a struggling economy at home, the American people are ready for change. Barack Obama and Joe Biden represent that change. They will bring new leadership to the White House that will get our economy moving again, finally end the war in Iraq and our bring our troops home, ensure that all Americans have access to affordable health care, and end our dependence on foreign oil."

Evan Bayh

“Joe Biden is an outstanding public servant with deep experience and a fighting spirit. These qualities will make him a great asset in the White House and on the campaign trail this fall.

“Indiana and America face challenging times. We are a nation at war with an economy on the rocks. In his most important decision to date, Barack Obama demonstrated the judgment to choose a governing partner who is wise and strong and will help him deliver change to a country yearning for it. I enthusiastically support the selection of Senator Biden.

“It was an honor to be considered, and I hope it reflects well on the state of Indiana that a Hoosier was in the running. I am proud to serve in the United States Senate and will continue to work each day to make a difference in the lives of the people of my state.”

Filed under: Race to '08
  1. JR

So much anger over Hillary's loss will only bring a McCain presidency. What's more important?

August 23, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  2. Charlotte

I guess Biden will be answering that 3:00 call, what a relief. Now I feel better if he should win, I will still write Hillary on my ballot. The rest of you can decide the outcome, I want no part of either candidate.

August 23, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. Lisa

Indiana Bob....how do you even know that Hillary wanted to be VP? Have you ever considered the notion that she just wasn't interested?? And why do you people keep trying to link Hillary to PUMA? That is unfair to her. She has not once mentioned that bunch. I'm sure she cringes everytime her name is mentioned in the same sentence with PUMA. It is not fair to the woman to link her to a group such as that. Are you trying to ruin her entire career? And why on earth would you expect her to sacrifice her entire political career over a bunch of sore losers? sheesh

August 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. Penn Voter

Obama never even considered Hillary for the VP slot.

August 23, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Alice Gentry

You die-hard democraps, no-one has forgotten all the foot-in-the-mouth things Biden has said, and his plagarism scandals. He is a good match up for BO because neither of them can stop talk/talk/talking even though it is obvious they don't know what they are talking about. Democrats always make one error in judgment which is they think Americans are all stupid and believe every word they say.

August 23, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. Robert

I agree...the 3:00AM text was just one more knife in the back to Hillary...will not vote for no matter what! Obama..you are going to lose and I along with alot of other people can't wait to see it happen!

August 23, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. terry baren

I am not sure Biden has any constituancy that would help Obama get elected.Otherwise he would have done better in the primaries. Bill Richardson or Hilliary Clinton would have been a better choice.

August 23, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Chicago Red

To-Indiana Bob The 3:00 AM text message to the Obamabots was the last straw!! Talk about bitter winners!! Hillary should run as an independent!!Meanwhile — PUMA, PUMA, PUMA, PUMA — Vote John McCain*********BOB fell DOWN ***********

Obama/Biden 08 and the People Said Amen!!!

August 23, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Connie

Indiana Boob, They were not going to do the text message until 6;00 or 7;00 am , but when the media started predicting Biden they wanted there supporters to know. If you are living well I guess you may be able to get through another Bush administration. A Vote for John McBush is a vote for the same . OBAMA/BIDEN 08

August 23, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Evelyn

To Indiana Bob – So what that the text message was a little late. At least we got a message even though the press just couldn't wait an hour after getting a hint so Obama could keep his promise. He was set to send the messages anyway and I for one am glad I got a direct email so I could welcome Senator Biden to the team. Hillary did not have an entittlement to either the nomination or the VP choice. I for one do not understand how you think she could do such a great job of running our country when her campaign was in shambles, no leadership and over $30 million in debt and this is not just rumor, it is fact from memos from within her own campaign. Please try to understand that the votes were split so both sides need to give a little and be gracious to the other.

August 23, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. Ga Girl

OH well just sealed the deal no Democratic vote from me this year
    No way , don't think either one of them are what we need in the world today , To bad I really wanted a Democratic in the White House but not this pair of empty suits .

August 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Linda

If Clinton supporters can't get behind a ticket that includes the Senator who's responsible for the Violence Against Women legislation – among many great pieces of legislation – then shame on them! This ticket will do more for women – and ALL citizens – than any ticket the Republicans could come up with.

August 23, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. former democrat

ARGHHHHH

August 23, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. debkansas

Thank you Indiana Bob. Hillary for President.

August 23, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |